NEM Kadee couplers for UK stock

TravisM

• RMweb Gold

I’m going to fit Kadee couplers to my all my OO scale loco’s, units, rolling stock and I wondered if there was a chart showing what couplers are suitable for which type of vehicles. For example, I have three Bachmann Class 350’s and it might suggest I use a particular coupler or couplers depending on curves or best fit.

• RMweb Premium

A few threads discussing this. Search for Kaydee as well (is that a predictive text problem?)

The right Kadee will depend on your curves --  sharper curves need longer Kadees. I only have one item where even the #20 wasn't long enough: Duke of Gloucester front bogie.

Problem happens where there is a step in the tension-lock you take out. This means the mount is at the wrong height and no replacement coupler will be in the right place. Various workarounds have been tried.  (Will alo be a problem with European couplings.)

I suggest you buy a packet of each to start. I rarely use the #17 but lots of 18 and 19. If you have a fixed rake you may get the spacing you want by mixing lengths.

• Like 1

I suggest you buy a packet of each to start. I rarely use the #17 but lots of 18 and 19. If you have a fixed rake you may get the spacing you want by mixing lengths.

I only fit Kadee to the outer end of the end vehicles - seems a bit pointless doing the rest and with coach rakes you can fit the Hornby/Roco coupler to provided a neater coupling than a tension lock.

Edited by Butler Henderson

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I would like to use Kadee on my British outline  oo layout like Jools. I have seen on Gaugemasters web a starter kit - Kadee 13.

Is this starter kit a good way to test the kadee system ?? 

Thanks for any advice.

Briefly looking on the Kadee website the 13 starter pack does not include any of the NEM type couplers (17-20) which fit all the recent uk outline stock, so unless you are converting old stock pre NEM sockets kit 13 of no use to you.

Hope it helps

Eltel

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Kadee do not list any bulk packs with the NEM couplers. This probably reflects their North American primary market as I don't think the NEMpocket is used on NA stuff (unless Mrklin makes some).

The sample packs would be useful if you plan to convert older, pre-NEM stock. And one of the packs has height gauges and other useful tools.

• RMweb Gold

I'd say get a packet each of the medium #18 and long #19 to start with as they'll cover most things, the short #17 and extra long #20 are not needed all that often. Whatever you buy, DO ensure your first order includes a height gauge, #205 or #206. The former is metal and will last forever but is only suitable for use on a separate bit of track, the latter is plastic and is therefore OK to use on a layout or DCC programming track.  

If fitting older or kit-built UK-outline models with Kadees, I'd not recommend the Starter Pack as you'll never need most of the couplers in it.  

Other than where one of the NEM couplers is suitable, I now cover almost everything using just two types, #141 and #146 (mostly the latter), plus a packet of the smaller #252 draft boxes to use where the standard one is too big to fit. I also keep a packet each of #147 and #148 to use in #252 boxes where space is even more limited, and that's pretty much it unless I encounter a really "awkward" case.  

Check out the free Kadee on-line catalogue to get an idea of the different types and variations in length and height. www.kadee.com

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold

Kadee do not list any bulk packs with the NEM couplers.

Kadee famously never felt the need to sell bulk packs, even of the ubiquitous #5, until other manufacturers circumvented patents and began selling Kadee-compatible couplers. No doubt it will take a similar circumvention in the European market to make Kadee sit up and offer bulk packs here.

I'd say get a packet each of the medium #18 and long #19 to start with as they'll cover most things, the short #17 and extra long #20 are not needed all that often. Whatever you buy, DO ensure your first order includes a height gauge, #205 or #206. The former is metal and will last forever but is only suitable for use on a separate bit of track, the latter is plastic and is therefore OK to use on a layout or DCC programming track.  

Obviously add in a magnet as well to any first order 308 (under track) or 321 (on top of track).  20s may be needed depending on the minimum radius curve on your layout. You can order the NEM couplings in however many pairs of them you need from DC Kits rather than the standard 2 pair packs.

https://www.dckits-devideos.co.uk/index.php?route=product/search&search=kadee%20NEM

• RMweb Gold

Obviously add in a magnet as well to any first order 308 (under track) or 321 (on top of track).  20s may be needed depending on the minimum radius curve on your layout. You can order the NEM couplings in however many pairs of them you need from DC Kits rather than the standard 2 pair packs.

https://www.dckits-devideos.co.uk/index.php?route=product/search&search=kadee%20NEM

Be aware the fixed under track magnet will attract OO steel axles  - I've just started experimenting with the Rapido undertrack magnet to try to avoid this....

https://www.rapidotrains.com/on-off-remote-coupler/

Be aware the fixed under track magnet will attract OO steel axles

True - I get round it by fitting the original Bachmann plastic centred axles - they often turn up in bulk on ebay from sellers who have replaced them with "better" wheels. Are perfectly fine on code 100 IME and there will be the the odd one that does not run true and gets condemned to the scrap siding. An alternative is to hinge the undertrack magnet so to drop it out of the way when not required.

• RMweb Premium

Kadee famously never felt the need to sell bulk packs, even of the ubiquitous #5, until other manufacturers circumvented patents and began selling Kadee-compatible couplers. No doubt it will take a similar circumvention in the European market to make Kadee sit up and offer bulk packs here.

They do sell, or did sell bulk packs of the No 5 as I have bought them in the past.

Must admit not seen them lately.

Eltel

• RMweb Gold

They do sell, or did sell bulk packs of the No 5 as I have bought them in the past.

Must admit not seen them lately.

Eltel

That was my point. They smugly declined to sell bulk packs until a competitor launched a compatible, plastic rival product. Then they saw their monopoly broken and suddenly bulk packs became available.

• RMweb Premium

That was my point. They smugly declined to sell bulk packs until a competitor launched a compatible, plastic rival product. Then they saw their monopoly broken and suddenly bulk packs became available.

Bulk packs of No. 5 were available a long time ago. But next to useless for British stock.

Bulk packs of No. 5 were available a long time ago. But next to useless for British stock.

For clarity that is because the buffers on UK stock mean the draft box has to be located way out beyond  the buffer beam; whereas a long shank version which would allow the draft box to sit behind the buffer beam

Edited by Butler Henderson

• RMweb Premium

For clarity that is because the buffers on UK stock mean the draft box has to be located way out beyond  the buffer beam; whereas a long shank version which would allow the draft box to sit behind the buffer beam

Yes, thank you for that.

• RMweb Gold

I switched to Kadees in 1986. Define ‘a long time’?

When I did US modelling, I used to get bulk packs of number 5’s from Victors from 1979 till it closed. A sadly missed model shop.

• RMweb Premium

When I did US modelling, I used to get bulk packs of number 5’s from Victors from 1979 till it closed. A sadly missed model shop.

Yes, I remembered such things being advertised. I believe it was intended for the likes of Athearn rolling stock, a huge supplier at the time.