davidparker172

Baseboard Tables used on the Show

They look like the White Rose baseboards I reviewed in BRM a few years ago. The legs were the same and they are quite distinctive.

3 boards.jpg

(The photo shows 3 slightly different flavours of board but all from White Rose)

The Challenge baseboards were supplied by Model Rail Baseboards, Ireland, I believe. The courier firm that was supposed to deliver them to our clubrooms were useless, though, and we eventually had to go and pick them up from a distribution depot in the next town.

The 5'x3'6" boards were pretty heavy, but were rugged and did support the weight of a contestant or two.

Can confirm that they are very heavy and MDF as construction material. We will be adapting them before the West Riding Marine and Stone layout from the waterworld episode will be going out

Hi,

They seemed particularly unsuitable for the TV show as cutting the MDF required a vacuum cleaner to run to pick up the dust before it reached the other people working in the room creating noise which the TV sound people couldnt work with.

I wouldn't reply to the baseboard tables used in the show - they don't have ears. :wacko:

Regards

Nick

The Challenge baseboards were supplied by Model Rail Baseboards, Ireland, I believe. The courier firm that was supposed to deliver them to our clubrooms were useless, though, and we eventually had to go and pick them up from a distribution depot in the next town.

The 5'x3'6" boards were pretty heavy, but were rugged and did support the weight of a contestant or two.

Yes that's correct.  Dave's baseboards are made to a very high standard. 

Hi all,

Model Rail Baseboards products.....

As used by all the teams in the GMRC

https://www.modelrailbaseboards.com/

Very strong - Yes

We had to build our own as they were supplied as flatpacks.

There was one query I had...

Did all the teams get flatpacks that they had to build up?

How Strong?

We lifted our joined up layout without any obvious sagging of bending being visible.

How heavy are they?

About 25kg each if I remember correctly.

Cutting the baseboards?

Not everyone did this. We limited our cutting to making holes to fit point motors.

This was done on an open driveway or under cover, but, for h&s reasons, not an enclosed room.

Would we use them again?

No, but not because they are not a good product, just they don't fit in with what most of us want from a baseboard.

Thanks

Phil H

I saw their Stand at Warley on Saturday and wasn't greatly impressed at all!

You can’t leave it like that, what was your concern?

Hi,

I understand all the baseboards were supplied ready made so no assembly required.

As each of the three baseboards is five foot long it may be a squeeze getting the boards of the surviving layouts into cars.

I think PECO paid for a van to take the Basingstoke Bodgers Santa's Holiday layout to Warley (it also had an N gauge perspective section board which drops on top of the other boards).

As a contrast in weight before scenery was added a plywood layout board at the Basingstoke club that is 3'6" x 3' could be lifted with two fingers.

Regards

Nick

The baseboards were big and heavy and apart from being constructed from MDF were ideally suited to the task of filming the programme since they were very solid.

In practice they are fine for a permanent layout, but just a bit big and heavy for a portable layout. I am sure that smaller sizes (3' x 2' or 4' x 2' for example) are available that would be more suitable, and replacing the top with plywood would make a lot of difference to the dust hazard and weight.

Hi all,

I'll say it again....

Not all the teams got prebuilt baseboards.

If I can find the photo again showing the flat packs that we received - I will post it on here.

Thanks

Phil H

I also saw the display stand at Warley, and they did look good but then again I never lifted one up to see how heavy it was. But at the end of the day they did give me a business card which doubled up as a track rubber, which has already been put to good use on my home layout:

post-31351-0-42577800-1543349805_thumb.jpeg

Edited by SVRlad

Hi all,

I'll say it again....

Not all the teams got prebuilt baseboards.

If I can find the photo again showing the flat packs that we received - I will post it on here.

Thanks

Phil H

They obviously thought your team would do a better job building them than pre-built delivered  :mosking: