Killed my Zimo?

MikeParkin65

• RMweb Gold

I have a Locoman 8F on Zimo and control my system with an NCE Powercab. With the loco running I increased volume using the F17 function. With the volume increased I turned F17 off. With the loco still running I sounded the whistle - it blew and then silence. The loco continued running but now with no sound.

Stopping the loco and turning the sound on still produced no sound. Removing the loco from the track and placing it back the sound can be turned on but disappears as soon as any other function is selected (including movement). Apart from the lack of sound the loco responds normally to the Powercab. 

I have tried a reset (changing Cv8 to 8)  and have tried swapping speakers. Same affect with a different speaker.  no change from the factory reset.

Have I inadvertently blown the sound circuit? Any help or advice would be much appreciated. The chip itself is a couple of years old - purchased when Locoman first became available.

I have a Locoman 8F on Zimo and control my system with an NCE Powercab. With the loco running I increased volume using the F17 function. With the volume increased I turned F17 off. With the loco still running I sounded the whistle - it blew and then silence. The loco continued running but now with no sound.

Stopping the loco and turning the sound on still produced no sound. Removing the loco from the track and placing it back the sound can be turned on but disappears as soon as any other function is selected (including movement). Apart from the lack of sound the loco responds normally to the Powercab. 

I have tried a reset (changing Cv8 to 8)  and have tried swapping speakers. Same affect with a different speaker.  no change from the factory reset.

Have I inadvertently blown the sound circuit? Any help or advice would be much appreciated. The chip itself is a couple of years old - purchased when Locoman first became available.

I'd have a chat with Charlie if I were you!

Is it a Micro Decoder or Standard Decoder.

If you are lucky you may have just blown the speaker.

Try a new cheap speaker before replacing the decoder - Oh and do turn the sound down before you do it.

John K

I go with this every time. As my old boss used to say 'Try the simple things first'

Edited by MiDAS

He did say he has tried different speakers.

I had one recently that did something similar in that the engine sounds were fine but the sounds were killed by the use of any other sound, horn etc, although in that case a reset fixed it, you could try resetting a few times, just in case the first one didn't reset fully.

Curious about the F17 option though, not seen that before, what do you mean by used F17 to turn the volume up then turned F17 off, on my Zimo Sound Decoders there are two buttons to notch sound up and down and another to mute all sounds. Who's sound project is loaded on your decoder.

• RMweb Gold

He did say he has tried different speakers.

I had one recently that did something similar in that the engine sounds were fine but the sounds were killed by the use of any other sound, horn etc, although in that case a reset fixed it, you could try resetting a few times, just in case the first one didn't reset fully.

Curious about the F17 option though, not seen that before, what do you mean by used F17 to turn the volume up then turned F17 off, on my Zimo Sound Decoders there are two buttons to notch sound up and down and another to mute all sounds. Who's sound project is loaded on your decoder.

Yes I did indeed try changing the speaker - no difference unfortunately. It is a Locoman project  - F17 to increase volume, F18 to decrease. Superb sounds, well they were at least! Good idea to try another reset - the first certainly changed the address back to '3'. My gut feeling though is something has 'popped' :(

...Removing the loco from the track and placing it back the sound can be turned on but disappears as soon as any other function is selected (including movement). Apart from the lack of sound the loco responds normally to the Powercab...

That says the hardware is still functioning, it's the software that is in trouble. As others above, keep trying resets.

Random thought, and shouldn't be happening if reset is working correctly, but has something incorrectly set the sound project number ?  

There is a CV for selecting which sound project is running on Zimo - its used for the default from factory chips to allow half a dozen different steam sounds and a diesel.   If that's set wrongly, then it could be trying to play silence for motion.    CV265, ought to be "1" for the default in a reblown steam sound project, but it could be anything the designer set. 

You could try asking Digitrains, I don’t think they mind from whom you bought it, or how old it is.

Mind you, you would loose your LocoMan sounds.....

Maybe get a PaulieBanger one from DigiTrains.....

They do a repair/replacement scheme, for a fixed fee of (used to be) £15.00, it looks like £18.00 now, according to their new website.

They do it at their shop in Lincoln, and at the exhibitions they attend,......

Warley this weekend.....

Manchester the weekend after.

Regards,

Alan (big Zimo fan)

Edited by bigal10
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the replies and advice. First chance to get in the attic tonight since asking this question. I have tried multiple ‘hard resets’ (writing 8 to CV8) but this has made no difference. CV265 is reading ‘1’. Still the sound comes on (basic loco simmering) but using any function immediately cancels the sound tho the loco operates (moves) normally. I am wondering if there is something about the NCE powercab that is idiosyncratic but that is just a guess?

Does anyone know which CV’s control volume and what they should read at default please?

Thanks for the replies and advice. First chance to get in the attic tonight since asking this question. I have tried multiple ‘hard resets’ (writing 8 to CV8) but this has made no difference. CV265 is reading ‘1’. Still the sound comes on (basic loco simmering) but using any function immediately cancels the sound tho the loco operates (moves) normally. I am wondering if there is something about the NCE powercab that is idiosyncratic but that is just a guess?

Does anyone know which CV’s control volume and what they should read at default please?

The "overall" volume control on Zimo's is CV 266 -  normally it's set around 80 but it will depend on which sound project is loaded, and possibly the decoder type also.

• 2 weeks later...

You could try asking Digitrains, I don’t think they mind from whom you bought it, or how old it is.

Mind you, you would loose your LocoMan sounds.....

Maybe get a PaulieBanger one from DigiTrains.....

They do a repair/replacement scheme, for a fixed fee of (used to be) £15.00, it looks like £18.00 now, according to their new website.

They do it at their shop in Lincoln, and at the exhibitions they attend,......

Warley this weekend.....

Manchester the weekend after.

Regards,

Alan (big Zimo fan)

Digitrains not listed as being at Manchester MRS this weekend !

Oops, sorry

Yes, you’re right, I’ve just been and they weren’t there, and never were due to be!

But their replace / repair option is about the best I’ve ever come across.

Trouble is, it has to be a Zimo original, and not hardwired into the loco!

Ah well, can’t win ‘em all ?

Regards,

Alan.

• 2 weeks later...

There is a rule about master volume.

Normally do digital locomotive arrives with master volume set at 100% as standard.

This is just too much when you ad more extra volume by click F17 to increase the sound!!

Before i start new bought digital locomotives with the sound i make sure to reduce power at the master volume by set to about 70-75%.

Sods law strikes again, one of mine after running for months without a hiccup tonight decided to try itself, no motor control and a loud buzzing from the speaker, and when I got the decoder out to test it was getting very hot.

So back to the supplier for a paid for replacement, even though it failed under warranty, I have no way to prove it was not my installation that killed it, even though it had been running for months without issue.

Grrrrrrrr