RevolutioN announce 56xx in N

Andy Y

Revolution’s first steam locomotive is 56XX!

56XX - press.jpg

Revolution Trains is offering the attractive GWR/BR(W) 56XX 0-6-2 tank engine as its first steam locomotive.

This model is being produced in conjunction with new entrant Sonic Models, and will feature high levels of detailing and a smooth reliable running.

Though the engineer behind the model has a track record of producing highly regarded steam locomotive models in N, the 56XX has been selected in part because it does not feature complex outside valve gear.

200 of the attractive 56XX locomotives were built at Swindon (with a small number built in the North East due to capacity issues) and designer C B Collett borrowed heavily from the proven south Wales valleys engines inherited by the GWR.

The locomotives were reliable and sturdy and while originally intended for traffic in south Wales they rapidly saw service across the GWR, and subsequently the western region of British Railways, from the South West to the Midlands.

All were withdrawn by the end of 1965, and nine are now preserved.

The models will be available in GWR green, BR green and BR black, and will feature coreless motors, NEM 6 pin decoder socket, NEM couplers, original or later style driving wheel balance weights, Swindon or Armstrong (NE) safety valves, detailed cab interior and accessory detal pack.

The models are expected to retail at approx £90, with delivery expected Q4 2019.

CAD for this model has now been approved and an image is attached. Like the VEA van produced by Sonic models, this product is not being crowdfunded but sold via retailers in the traditional way.

For more information see www.revolutiontrains.com 

• Like 13

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Though the engineer behind the model has a track record of producing highly regarded steam locomotive models in N, the 56XX has been selected in part because it does not feature complex outside valve gear.

I seem to remember the chap behind Sonic models was responsible for the Farish Duchess, so although it's perhaps a sensible move to keep it simple with a first loco release, I believe we have a lot more to look forward too from him!

It certainly appears from the CAD image above that the model will follow the Farish practice of pickup bushes, making this a relatively simple 2mm FS conversion prospect. 

Tom.  

• RMweb Premium

My wallet has just developed a shrinking feeling. At least it is expected Q4 19 so there is time to save some pennies, need about £10 a month per loco put to one side ...

(edited for fat finger spellings)

Edited by Richard E

Hmmmmm....

Might need to relocate my possible GWR branch layout to South Wales!!

Or....

Anyone got any pictures of a 56XX in Devon or Cornwall?

Nick

Well they used a small fleet of the 42xx 2-8-0 for the clay traffic so there’s no reason why they couldn’t have also borrowed a 56xx for some of the lighter trains!! Moving China clay can’t be that different to coal. At least that’s my excuse.

I think some were used in the Midlands as well

56xx 6695 used to run on the preserved Swanage Railway. As I am modelling this line it is a good reason to buy one. I am surprised that Graham Farish did not make one as Bachmann produced one in 00 gauge.

Hornby Dublo's N2 0-6-2T was originally a generic locomotive. They could not produce an 0-6-0T because most of the Great Western tank locos were pannier tanks and looked different. I think that Hornby Dublo's Great Western 0-6-2T was supposed to represent a 56xx. Models have come a long way in appearance since then although the Hornby Dublo engineering was very good and many of their 80 year old engines are still running as smoothly as when they were made.

• RMweb Gold

There were a handful shedded at Westbury for banking trains up to Warminster, I'm sure they would have been used on other services as well.

Jerry

Were they just for banking? I thought they were used on Mendip stone traffic as well.

Edit to add: Although not normally a GW person, I do like the 56xx. A small South Wales Valleys project may result.

Edited by Joseph_Pestell

• RMweb Gold

Were they just for banking? I thought they were used on Mendip stone traffic as well.

Edit to add: Although not normally a GW person, I do like the 56xx. A small South Wales Valleys project may result.

Very probably, here is one as train engine heading up Upton Scudamore bank as train engine being banked by a Hymek!

https://www.railpixtc.co.uk/Steam/60s-Steam/60s-Steam-Western/i-qn7WKd9

Jerry

• Like 2

There WERE ex-GWR 0-6-2 tanks in North East collieries, but these were al from the stock that the 56xx replaced.  Two, Area No.2 no.52 aka TVR 85, and Area No.2 No.67 Gordon, survive  Indeed No.52 as a loco displaced in service by the 56xx survived in colliery service longer than the last 56xx on BR....  The Lambton system also had Nos 53-56 of various origins, and there were more North of the Tyne.  Did the Bowes Railway also get one?

It is a bit galling to think the GWR could afford to build at least 50% more of the class than they actually needed.  Some of the displaced locos were actually quite modern.  Compare that with the LNER where Gresley could afford to build fewer locos IN TOTAL than Collett was able to build 0-6-0 pannier tanks.

I feel a rule 1 purchase coming on as a 56xx, and maybe another if the dimensions are close enough to make an N10 using the chassis.

Les

Edited by Les1952

:locomotive:  :locomotive:  :locomotive:  :locomotive:  :locomotive:

What brilliant news and an excellent choice of prototype. Sign me up for one as soon as the order books open. I cannot believe I managed to miss this thread !  

In spite of their association with the welsh valleys, they did get all over the system. A couple were shedded at Oxford and often turned up on pick-up goods in the Thames valley. Here is a shot of 6664 at Slough in 1955.

6664_at_Slough%2C_October_1955.jpg

• Like 1

Great news for me with my model being a GWR Junction station. At least one of these will be needed for coal trains off the branch. Any ideas which GWR you will be doing? "Great Western", shirtbutton or "G W R"? The more variants you do the more I ill buy

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Thanks for the encouraging response. As we are happy to admit, a steam locomotive is outside our comfort zone and will be something we will learn from.

The order book hasn't opened yet and as this is a Sonic model and as such is not crowdfunded we probably won't start taking orders until the New Year.

In terms of liveries there will definitely be BR Black and BR lined green but we haven't yet finalised which GWR versions will be offered.

For we are very grateful for any feedback - I have already had some very helpful notes PMd to me - and we will of course show progress on our website, facebook pages and here.

Cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Ben A
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Geoff and Matt,

The models are expected to retail at approx £90, with delivery expected Q4 2019.

CAD for this model has now been approved and an image is attached. Like the VEA van produced by Sonic models, this product is not being crowdfunded but sold via retailers in the traditional way.

How do I sign up? I've looked on their site and found no mention. Of course I've probably missed it.

Sorry, Ben beat me to it...

Edited by steam-driven boy

• RMweb Gold

In terms of liveries there will definitely be BR Black and BR lined green but we haven't yet finalised which GWR versions will be offered.

Hi Ben. 

Might you consider using a number from a preserved example? There are 9 of this type still in existence with 3 currently operational,1 in BR unlined black (5619) and 2 in BR lined green (5637 & 5643). Potentially a few extra sales there from people modelling a preservation scene?

Farish have done this on several recent releases. 

Tom.