RevolutioN announce 56xx in N

Andy Y

• Administrators

Sonic models, working with Revolution Trains, has confirmed the first six versions of its forthcoming GWR/BR(W) 56xx 0-6-2 locomotive in N gauge.

This locomotive is Sonic’s first powered model, and is also the first 0-6-2 model offered ready-to-run in British N gauge. It will feature NEM couplers and 6-pin decoder socket as well as prototypical differences including short or tall top feeds, original or heavy wheel weights and tapered or cylindrical buffers.

The list comprises two models in BR lined green, one in BR unlined green, one in BR unlined black and two in GWR unlined green. One of the locomotives is modelled as preserved, and Revolution will donate some of the proceeds of the sale to the owners to help its operational upkeep.

The full list is:-

S2101-01 – 5637 in lined BR Green with late crest*

S2101-02 – 6681 in lined BR Green with late crest

S2101-03 – 5633 in unlined BR Green with late crest

S2101-04 – 6639 in unlined BR Black with early emblem

S2101-05 – 5616 in GWR green with Egyptienne lettering

S2101-06 – 6623 in GREAT WESTERN green with Egyptienne lettering

*Revolution will make a donation from sales of this model to the 5637 Steam Locomotive Group to support their work.

EP1 samples have been checked, and we are now awaiting painted samples for approval before production begins.

The models are expected in late 2019 or early 2020.

S2101-01 5637.jpg

S2101-02 6681.jpg

S2101-03 5633.jpg

S2101-04 6639.jpg

S2101-05 5616.jpg

S2101-06 6623.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Les1952 said:

As someone who posts stuff regularly I think that the price isn't that bad.

Royal Mail charge £7.40 for a small parcel compensated to the value of a model locomotive.

That leaves £2.60 to cover the box and padding  I'm getting quotes of around 40p each for suitable boxes bought new if purchased in units of 100,  and new bubble wrap works out at about 30p per loco.  I sell secondhand so can get away with recycled boxes and packaging - RevolutioN have a reputation to maintain so can't.

That takes the price of the postage and packing materials in the order of £8.25 once the label and Sellotape are added in, leaving £1.75 to cover printing out invoices/receipts and time to actually print them out and pack everything.  You would need to do about seven or eight  an hour to get to minimum wage.

£10 postage steep?  Not for a small business.

Les

Royal Mail will send a parcel covered to the value of this loco for £4.74.

Personally  given the very decent early bird price, I can't get too hung up on the postage and packing price. In fact I'm not hung up period, I always send any models of value Special Delivery and that costs over £7 and I would rather know that packaging is going to protect my purchase than quibble over a few quid.

We really are a strange lot in this country, a really lovely model comes along at a terrific price yet some people still have to find something to moan about.

Roy

• Like 1
  • Agree 8

At £91.50 including p&p it is very good value, no matter how you figure it out.

As a heretic who thinks they look better in passenger livery I'll have a lined green one.  How soon until order books open? - or if I've missed it can someone post a link?

Another loco I don't need, but  a non- appearing J72 will more than cover it.  Now to find an excuse for one running in County Duram - it could be a trial as a Lambton tank replacement....

Les

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Roy L S said:

Personally  given the very decent early bird price, I can't get too hung up on the postage and packing price. In fact I'm not hung up period, I always send any models of value Special Delivery and that costs over £7 and I would rather know that packaging is going to protect my purchase than quibble over a few quid.

We really are a strange lot in this country, a really lovely model comes along at a terrific price yet some people still have to find something to moan about.

If this had been a Dapol or Farish release, I think the price would have easily been well over £100, so £91.50 with postage is a bargain.

I think Ben and Mike are entitled to a few pence here and there for packing and distributing, or even if it is for paying friends and family beer/treats or whatever for assisting them.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

9 hours ago, Kris said:

Jolly good. If unhappy with post and packing costs, suggest you wait until available in stores at estimated retail cost of £100, this will help alleviate your concerns.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

12 hours ago, Kris said:

Seriously? You are complaining about less than 3 quid on the price of a new loco? Perhaps we should have a whip-round to help you out.....

• Agree 2
  • Funny 3

I Think revolution's are going to bankrupt me here, my N Gauge layout is a GWR era junction station so that's 2 I need, I like them in BR Black so that's a possibility to buy. Of the 3 BR Green's one was shedded at Treherbert so would have come through where I live and the other 2 I have found photo's at Treherbert - so that's all 6 I want/need. That and the Mk 5's I could easily spend £1,000 - totally worth it though

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

1 hour ago, johnlambert said:

Having seen the running and livery samples at The International N Gauge Show on Saturday I'm now £91 poorer and Revolution has another order.

What price a large Prarie to the same standard?

Oh dear, I wish you hadn't said that. Got one on order already so I've just ordered a second.

I can just about justify one appearing on a wayward journey or possibly to/from Wolverhampton Works. So I'm going to have two working branch line coal and other freight traffic. Anyway it's my model and, to some extent, rule 1 will apply.

And there were four or five shedded not too far from the area I'm modelling by post war times.

I'd really like to see the GWR Mogul appear in N. I know there is a whitemetal kit but that relies on the Farish Big Prairie chassis and I feel something up to more modern standards would be nice. My wallet won't like a Mogul appearing as I'd need several ...

Edited by Richard E
  • Agree 2

On 15/09/2019 at 18:14, johnlambert said:

What price a large Prarie to the same standard?

Now there's a good idea!

Probably a bit more than a 5600 as the outside valve-gear will add to the complexity. Having said that, maybe you could make some savings if you double-up and produce the closely related Churchward Mogul at the same time as Dapol are doing in 00.

• Like 4

• Administrators

From TINGS. These are samples and there are decoration issues such as the too light BR crest and lack of copper caps on the chimneys. Work to rectify all this is in hand I'm assured. 56xx_1.jpg

56xx_2.jpg

56xx_3.jpg

56xx_4.jpg

And a photo with the designer Sam Leung. 

56xx_5.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Just seen a post elsewhere saying this loco is designed to take the poor performing Bachmann Right Angled decoder,

Say it isn't so.

There was also mention of room for a sugar cube speaker, why, if the above is true, what sound decoder were  they thinking would fit in a right angled socket?

3 hours ago, Paul80 said:

Just seen a post elsewhere saying this loco is designed to take the poor performing Bachmann Right Angled decoder,

Say it isn't so.

There was also mention of room for a sugar cube speaker, why, if the above is true, what sound decoder were  they thinking would fit in a right angled socket?

Paul

I am pretty sure the Zimo MX616N could be made to fit, it is truly tiny (8x8x2.4mm) the pins are nice and long and can easily be bent to form a right angle.

See here - YouChoos is my preferred supplier and I use by way of an example only, others will of course be able to supply one too. 

http://youchoos.co.uk/Index-Shop.php?L1=StdDecos

Roy

Edited by Roy L S
Incomplete post
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Let me clear up any confusion.

The model is designed with the right-angle chip in mind; if this is used then the chip is not visible in normal use.

There is still space for smaller straight chips, however they may be just visible.

The bunker has weight in it for optimum haulage.  This weight is designed to be removable should the modeller wish to fit a sugar cube speaker.

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

8 hours ago, Roy L S said:

Paul

I am pretty sure the Zimo MX616N could be made to fit, it is truly tiny (8x8x2.4mm) the pins are nice and long and can easily be bent to form a right angle.

See here - YouChoos is my preferred supplier and I use by way of an example only, others will of course be able to supply one too. 

http://youchoos.co.uk/Index-Shop.php?L1=StdDecos

Roy

I know about the MX616 option and do use them in my Farish 64xx and 3F Jinty, all designed to take the Bachmann R/A decoder

My surprise was that this brand new model from a brand new maker should be designed from the outset to take such a poor performing decoder, some owners will end up with the recommended decoder without knowing other options exist, they then might struggle to get their new model running well and then blame Sonic/Revolution.

But obviously that's a risk they must be happy to take, as they must have been aware of the Bachmann decoders limitations.

Just hope it does not end up biting them on the proverbial.

Edited by Paul80