RevolutioN announce 56xx in N

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

Hi Paul,

These models are DCC ready but not DCC fitted, so it's up to any user to source and fit their DCC chip.

Fitting a R/A chip means it can be hidden, but others will fit too, so I'm not sure where the "risk" comes in.

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 2

Saw these running on Sunday and they look like superb little models. Also hats off to the guys demonstrating as they answered lots of questions. Won't be getting one of these but look forward to anymore steam you guys plan, Southern would be nice ;)

Matt

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Over on the N Gauge forum Ben has posted some photos showing the mechanism. 

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=43604.msg592627#msg592627

There appears to be plenty of room so it should be possible to fit other decoders simply by (carefully!) bending the pins. A zimo MX616 is probably a good bet, and there may even be room to squeeze in some stay alive. It also appears the bunker weight is removable, so possibly even room for sound. 

Tom.  

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Just to clarify, Sonic has designed the bunker weight to be easily removable primarily to allow it to be replaced with a speaker, for those who wish to fit sound.

For the weathered version, we have not yet seen a sample.  Please also remember that while Revolution is assisting with this, through raising awareness, providing livery information, co-ordinating distribution and marketing etc this is a Sonic model, and the weathering will be to his specification.

cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Ben A
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Having seen the photos of what's under the hood and given that the bunker weight is removable to allow the fitting of a speaker for sound, what sound decoder would fit in the space that was made for the R/A decoder, it looks to be too tight for any of the small Zimo or ESU sound decoders, what decoder do the makers think will fit?

• 4 weeks later...
On 30/10/2019 at 12:37, TomE said:

The Zimo MX648R/F is 20mm x 11mm and I think that might just fit, but perhaps Ben could confirm the size of the space available? 

Tom.  

Looking at the photos there is not a chance that the Zimo MX648 would fit, the space available once the bunker weight is replaced by the speaker is about the same as is available for the standard R/A decoder so about 13.25x11.5x5mm.

As it stands I seriously doubt that a sound decoder can easily be put in this loco and any claims that it can should be treated with extreme caution.

Unless the makers know of any soon to be released small sound decoder that is smaller than the MX648 that no one else knows about?

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Just to be clear, no one is making any claims about DCC Sound.

The models have a DCC socket, and the weight in the bunker is removable to offer space for a speaker, but beyond that adding sound will be up to the customer.

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Just a little more on the sound situation, now I have recovered from the exertions of the weekend!

This image shows the DCC blanking plate and the PCB.  The removable weight in the bunker can also be seen.

IMG_9247.PNG.65f302cee3c03e52f52bf2d5c60390c1.PNG

IMG_9245.PNG.8cdb319aa2758919fbec73e61664d12e.PNG

As can be seen from the CAD there is potentially a void of up to 21mm long to allow a sound chip to be fitted.

It may be fitting a sound chip requires a degree of hard wiring; but the key to good performance in such a small locomotive is weight, and this is the reason the electronics have been placed where they have: to allow as much of the rest of the model to be filled with weight as possible. At the N Gauge show the model pulled 30 short wheelbase wagons up a gradient without difficulty. 

At the Warley Show this weekend, Sam (aka Mr Sonic) brought us the first factory-finished deco sample of the version in weathered BR livery.

IMG_3390.jpg.cc2c37e61ebf517e835a1e32b397bdd6.jpg

This is intended to represent a 56xx "workhorse" in their final years.  The paint has flaked away from the metal coupler rods and wheel rims in places - please note that the production models will also have chemically blackened wheels.

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 26/11/2019 at 19:14, Les1952 said:

Just out of interest, and for those of us who don't like right-angled chips, how much space is there between the interface and the cab roof?

A vertical chip can be hidden by suitably-placed crew....

Les

You might need to trim the pins to length, but looking at the CAD cross section Ben posted above a Zimo MX616 will almost certainly fit in that space upright. 

Tom. 

• 2 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, ben_m said:

This looks really interesting, but my layout is very compact 9 inch radius curves- will the 56xx be happy on these?

I don't know, but if you go to the Revolution trains website they will have a spec that will probably contain that information.

Regards,

John P

On 12/01/2020 at 20:24, jpendle said:

I don't know, but if you go to the Revolution trains website they will have a spec that will probably contain that information.

Regards,

John P

Unfortunately they don't state any curve radius requirements/compatibilities on their site.

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, ben_m said:

Unfortunately they don't state any curve radius requirements/compatibilities on their site.

Hi Ben,

I knew I'd seen something on this, looking back on this topic purely at Ben A posts I found:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/139428-revolution-announce-56xx-in-n/&do=findComment&comment=3516224

Posted April 4, 2019

The model is specified for 12" curves but I suspect it will manage 9" at a push.   The rear pony pivots.

With clarification promptly following:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/139428-revolution-announce-56xx-in-n/&do=findComment&comment=3521895

Posted April 10, 2019

I understand that the model will cope with curves down to a radius of 228.5mm, which is a fraction under 9 inches.

HTH

Regards, Gerry.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Stefen1988 said:

I wonder if the work on the GWR 2251 Class next?

But it was done by Peco albeit with a Collett tender that was only fitted to a handful of class members. Even that can be resolved by using a Union Mills Dean tender instead. I guess a revisit might be profitable if the correct tender is specified. It could also be a good subject for Union Mills.

It's a big step but a GWR Mogul would, I suspect, also be a good seller.

4 minutes ago, Richard E said:

But it was done by Peco albeit with a Collett tender that was only fitted to a handful of class members. Even that can be resolved by using a Union Mills Dean tender instead. I guess a revisit might be profitable if the correct tender is specified. It could also be a good subject for Union Mills.

It's a big step but a GWR Mogul would, I suspect, also be a good seller.

But it's out of production and rare as hens teeth on Ebay.

There is a Union Mills Collett Goods now and that is quite a nice model, a Sonic one would replace the gap left by Peco, there is a market given the sales of Union Mills models.

Maybe some new Small Prairies as well - unless Dapol suddenly announce they have finally re-done the chassis on the old model DCC Ready.

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

But it's out of production and rare as hens teeth on Ebay.

There is a Union Mills Collett Goods now and that is quite a nice model, a Sonic one would replace the gap left by Peco, there is a market given the sales of Union Mills models.

Maybe some new Small Prairies as well - unless Dapol suddenly announce they have finally re-done the chassis on the old model DCC Ready.

Ah, thanks, I'd missed the fact that UM had the Collett in their list although, once again, they are limited runs each time and may or may not be available.

2 minutes ago, Richard E said:

Ah, thanks, I'd missed the fact that UM had the Collett in their list although, once again, they are limited runs each time and may or may not be available.

You have to think with Dapol not doing a great deal and no sign of anything from Bachmann there must be a gap that Sonic can really exploit.

Doing the 56xx as a first model is great as no-one has them, the next model following a similar vein then could be as you suggest a Mogul then begin chipping away at the Prairies and 0-6-0 tender engines.

• RMweb Premium

Who's to say that the next Sonic steam loco (assuming there is one!) will be another GWR design?

The lessons learnt from the 56xx 0-6-2 could give us an LNER N2 or N7 (would be lovely with some Quad arts), a LNWR/LMS Coal tank or a LB&SCR E3/E4/E5/E6 for SR fans.

• Like 1