RevolutioN announce 56xx in N

Andy Y

We haven't even got this new model yet and everyone is busy speculating what will follow. :huh:

People, you should be excited about what we are about to get. :rolleyes:

And Sonic Models, if you follow this thread, maybe starting a new thread for those who want let you know their wishlists could be a good idea? :D

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 22/01/2020 at 03:49, Stefen1988 said:

I wonder if the work on the GWR 2251 Class next?

I think the best bet would be to make this 56xx a success if people want to see further models.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/150155-2020-predictions/&do=findComment&comment=3778455

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/150155-2020-predictions/&do=findComment&comment=3779564

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

I suspect one of the issues Revolution / Sonic are facing is that the customer base that Revolution has built up over the 5 and a bit years is very firmly entrenched in the modern era, and thus it is likely that a lot of people who would be interested in the 56xx (and remember, a most modellers are not online and even those that are aren't necessarily fully aware of what is happening in new models *) aren't aware that Revolution / Sonic exist or that they are coming out with an excellent 56xx.

So in some respects the 56xx reflects a starting from scratch, and thus anyone who wants to see further steam models should (where appropriate) make sure anyone they think might be interested in a 56xx are aware it is being made.

* go look at the Model Rail / Rapido 16xx thread, and the comment about people posting on Model Rail's Facebook page in the last week that they weren't aware Model Rail was commissioning a 16xx).

• Like 2

The 56xx has had pretty good coverage in the NGS journal and the modelling mags, so I'd be surprised if many potential buyers were unaware of it. But perhaps some are reluctant to commit in advance given the issues with DJM etc, especially as Sonic are not yet well established. 

28 minutes ago, dpgibbons said:

The 56xx has had pretty good coverage in the NGS journal and the modelling mags, so I'd be surprised if many potential buyers were unaware of it.

You would be surprised at how many potential customers either don't belong to the NGS, don't buy the magazines, or even if they do don't pay attention.

As I said, Model Rail this week "unveiled" the EP sample of their 16xx on Facebook and there were posts from people not aware that Model Rail was having it made.  I mean, you would think that people following Model Rail on Facebook would have seen the announcement on the Model Rail Facebook feed in the past, or in the magazine every month, but...

And this isn't unique to Model Rail - you follow pretty much any manufacturer Facebook feed and you will see posts from people who miss product announcements and other coverage all the time.

28 minutes ago, dpgibbons said:

But perhaps some are reluctant to commit in advance given the issues with DJM etc, especially as Sonic are not yet well established. 

Revolution are at this point well established though, and the 56xx is at the decorated samples stage with a public demonstration at Warley - there really at this point isn't much of a risk.

So either there isn't a market for the 56xx, or far more likely Revolution still haven't come to the attention of steam era modellers in N.

• Agree 2

You cannot discount buyer circumspection so readily. I have great faith in Revolution (and an order in for the 56xx), but to date they have released only one N Gauge loco and that was produced by an established manufacturer, whilst Sonic have released none. Buyers are accustomed to cancellations or long waits for N Gauge projects. There has not yet been a magazine review. And DJM is still fresh in the memory. Let's see how much demand comes in at the deadline and afterwards through retailers.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, dpgibbons said:

You cannot discount buyer circumspection so readily. I have great faith in Revolution (and an order in for the 56xx), but to date they have released only one N Gauge loco and that was produced by an established manufacturer, whilst Sonic have released none. Buyers are accustomed to cancellations or long waits for N Gauge projects. There has not yet been a magazine review. And DJM is still fresh in the memory. Let's see how much demand comes in at the deadline and afterwards through retailers.

I think it should be remembered though that Sam, the man behind Sonic is a former designer of BachFarish N Gauge locos in  including (if my memory serves me correctly) the Duchess, so there can be little question as regards his credentials or the design pedigree of the 56xx. 

Roy (two 56xx's on order)

• Agree 2

36 minutes ago, Roy L S said:

I think it should be remembered though that Sam, the man behind Sonic is a former designer of BachFarish N Gauge locos in  including (if my memory serves me correctly) the Duchess, so there can be little question as regards his credentials or the design pedigree of the 56xx. 

His 56xx has shades of Dapol about it (and I like Dapol's N gauge output), if his pedigree is Farish then he understands good mechanics so a match made in heaven for me.

When I get my N gauge railway on the go I will purchase one of these if about  - I cannot buy anything unless I actually have something to run it on - self imposed ruling.

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, woodenhead said:

His 56xx has shades of Dapol about it (and I like Dapol's N gauge output), if his pedigree is Farish then he understands good mechanics so a match made in heaven for me.

When I get my N gauge railway on the go I will purchase one of these if about  - I cannot buy anything unless I actually have something to run it on - self imposed ruling.

I bought some of the VEAs and they are exquisite, so I have ordered a 56xx, to support it even though it doesn't fit, but I did have a trip behind one on a heritage line.

My other half probably wishes I had had a similar ruling, but then the boards are finally taking shape now. Your only problem may be, that today the models are made to an order quantity, and tooling may be made to last for that quantity plus a bit for contingency. So once they've gone, they're gone.

• RMweb Gold

17 hours ago, dpgibbons said:

6 hours ago, Roy L S said:

Sam has also been assisted in the design of the 56XX by Colin Albright (formally of Bachmann) and having seen them up close and running in the flesh they are very much on a par with the best that we've had from Farish. 

Tom. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Despite having been caught in the DJM hype (fotunately I got my money back making one 56 'free') I have ordered two from Revolution/Sonic. They don't strictly fit my area but one was shedded nearby so I am going to invoke rule 1.

Despite modelling a real area photographs are extremely thin on the ground so establishing stock/loco rosters is difficult.

Having seen the model 'in the flesh' and having met Sam, the man creating the model, I am delight d and enthused by both. Sam appears to have an impeccable pedigree in the N Gauge model making world. His humble desire is to create the best N Gauge model possible.

So, I have 2 on order and I am really looking forward to enjoying them.

It is also clear the Ben and Mike have great faith in Sam as they have trusted the 320/321 to him. Evidence, so far, illustrates that their faith is well founded!

cheers,

Ged.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
On 25/01/2020 at 00:21, Ben A said:

Hi all,

At the moment our focus Is fully on generating enough interest in and orders for in the 56xx.

cheers

Ben A.

Hi Ben,

Hope orders are building nicely - I'll be putting one in shortly.  Do you know (or have an expectation) of when the early bird pricing finishes? Sorry if its been answered already but I couldn't see it in the past few pages.

Also, I am potentially looking at a couple of the 'Great Western' lettered examples ... do you know (acknowledging that you may not) how easy/difficult it will be to renumber these models?  Im thinking Fox 2mm transfers for the buffer beam numbering and etched plates from Narrow Planet for the numbers.

Rich

• RMweb Gold

Hello RIch,

The early bird pricing is going to be finishing very soon, though the models will still be available after that.

I imagine renumbering the models would be the same process as for any existing Dapol or Farish model, however I have not tried doing this myself.

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Ben A said:

Hello RIch,

The early bird pricing is going to be finishing very soon, though the models will still be available after that.

Ben A.

Thanks for the reply Ben - I'll try and get my order in this week ... presumably you'll give us a couple of days heads up?

Rich

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, dpgibbons said:

I had the same thought. Perhaps Ben could clarify if an existing order can be added to and whether there would be shipping charge savings for a multiple order.

That is answered on our website IIRC in the FAQs. Simple answer - no you can't add to an existing order but we do combine shipping where possible (and refund any difference compared to what you would have been charged if they were all on the same order - the P&P charge is not a fixed fee but incremental).

Cheers Mike

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like RevolutioN have finalised the RRP of the 5600 at £109.95. The new price will come into effect at midnight on Wednesday March 4th. Ben or Mike, will you still be accepting orders at the Earlybird price up until this time?

https://www.revolutiontrains.com/rrp-set-for-sonic-56xx/?fbclid=IwAR3H1VB4V-erNaSfV-rYfnIesEl2UiREX7NuQrdRir8WUWT_9n6i2L46RAk

http://www.revolutiontrains.com/product-category/sonic/