RevolutioN announce 56xx in N

Andy Y

On ‎19‎/‎09‎/‎2020 at 14:16, red death said:

Yes, Crepello is correct - the wheels are chemically blackened. 

cheers Mike

Does this mean they are not actually painted? Just a treatment like the edges of wheels normally receive

On 19/09/2020 at 14:16, red death said:

Yes, Crepello is correct - the wheels are chemically blackened. 

cheers Mike

Fine looking models. Like some others have said, the only niggle I have is that the faces of the wheels are unpainted. Having looked at a random sample of my Farish locos the wheel faces are properly black, they appear to be painted rather than just chemically blackened.

If there is still time in this production cycle it would be good to see this corrected, if not then not a huge issue, I can sort them myself when they arrive. However I would strongly suggest this is addressed for future production runs and/or future models.

Roy

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Roy L S said:

Fine looking models. Like some others have said, the only niggle I have is that the faces of the wheels are unpainted. Having looked at a random sample of my Farish locos the wheel faces are properly black, they appear to be painted rather than just chemically blackened.

If there is still time in this production cycle it would be good to see this corrected, if not then not a huge issue, I can sort them myself when they arrive. However I would strongly suggest this is addressed for future production runs and/or future models.

Roy

I think this has already been addressed ...

7 minutes ago, Ben A said:

Hello all,

The wheel faces are being painted black on production models.

cheers

Ben A.

Looking forward to getting mine when they arrive.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Richard E said:

I think this has already been addressed ...

Looking forward to getting mine when they arrive.

It appears Ben's post landed at the same time as mine. I would not have raised the question if there had already been an answer.

Regards

Roy

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 19/09/2020 at 12:42, mcowgill said:

The GWR is correct, sans-serif Grotesque as used by Caerphilly on a number of locos including some 56xx.  There's a photo of 6697 at Didcot in this livery further up this page.

There are other variants being released with the standard lettering

Martin

On 01/12/2018 at 11:23, Garethp8873 said:

One of the less heard about 5600s, GWR 6697 down at Didcot Railway Centre. Her GWR Sans Serif 'Grotesque' lettering is something we ain't seen done by any of the RTR manufacturers yet either...

44282962822_7b6abbbd0d_b.jpg

As stated previously, the GWR Grotesque livery is one I fully welcome and I'm pleased to see Revolution have decided to add this unique and rarely mentioned livery to it's range.

The livery is also making a first time appearance on a RTR model so again kudos to Revolution. Whilst I do not model in N gauge, I do hope the model of 5644 in this livery will encourage other manufacturers to add this livery to their range of GWR locomotives. I have even seen the livery on a Kerr Stuart built GWR Pannier which was surprising.

Garethp8873.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

Can I assume there is evidence the prototype 5644 carried grotesque?

Yes there is. P.37 of No.1 The 0-6-2 Tank Papers Books (5600-5699). Photographed on 6th July 1947 at Barry Shed :) There is quite a few 56/6600 in the two books with the Grotesque lettering on them.

• Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 22/09/2020 at 20:25, Miss Prism said:

Thanks - my current version of the [non-absorbed] 0-6-2Ts carrying grotesque is now:

5611, 5627, 5644, 6600, 6629, 6634, 6677

Any updates appreciated.

Got three more for you. Found in the new Great Western, 0-6-2 Tank Classes book, GWR 5600, 5611 and 5688 in grotesque livery but in War Black!

Also mentioned is 5681. The description it states she is in post-war GWR livery but I think it is GWR green rather than black.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, dpgibbons said:

Any update on delivery dates please? Revolution's website still shows Q2-Q3 2020.

Rails of Sheffield, who are the retailer dealing with these, quote Q4 2020 on their website. We are now in the start of that so they 'might' be here for Christmas.

• Like 1

On 10/10/2020 at 22:43, Richard E said:

Rails of Sheffield, who are the retailer dealing with these, quote Q4 2020 on their website. We are now in the start of that so they 'might' be here for Christmas.

But please don't get too excited as a certain pandemic is making everyone's production and delivery a bit "iffy".  They will appear when they appear and patience is the best course of action.

Les

• Agree 5

• 3 months later...

It has gone very quiet as far as this loco is concerned. I know there is some info on the RevolutioN website about this project (it says due Q1 2021) but I wonder if Ben or Mike can advise whether these locos will be ready before the CNY shutdown or whether realistically it is now looking more like Q2?

I confess I am not just looking forward to receiving these models, I am super-keen to know what steam loco will be announced once these are delivered!

Roy

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello Roy,

The models are in production, but it's taking longer primarily because of travel and consequent staffing/recruitment issues caused by Covid.   They may leave the factory before CNY and if airfreighted could still make Q1 - we just don't know.

We'll update when there is something to say.

cheers

Ben A.

• Thanks 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Roy L S said:

It has gone very quiet as far as this loco is concerned. I know there is some info on the RevolutioN website about this project (it says due Q1 2021) but I wonder if Ben or Mike can advise whether these locos will be ready before the CNY shutdown or whether realistically it is now looking more like Q2?

I confess I am not just looking forward to receiving these models, I am super-keen to know what steam loco will be announced once these are delivered!

Roy

So am I, I'm hoping it will be another GWR loco though, the Mogul. I realise that would disappoint many but it is an obvious gap.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Roy L S said:

I would like something LNER for a change, preferably a tank loco as that is the most neglected area of steam RTR.

Roy

LNER is 'neglected' - J39, B1, A1, A2, A3, A4, B17, O6, O7,  J38, J39,  J27, J26 , J25, J11, D11, D16/3, B12, Q2, D20.  19 different classes of engine RTR, admitted no tank engines though.

18 hours ago, Richard E said:

So am I, I'm hoping it will be another GWR loco though, the Mogul. I realise that would disappoint many but it is an obvious gap.

I'm secretley hoping Sonic sticks with the South Wales tanks....a RTR 42xx or 72xx would be nice...save me having to make a poor job of lovely etches from Worsley Works!

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

18 hours ago, HRH_Dan_Hull said:

LNER is 'neglected' - J39, B1, A1, A2, A3, A4, B17, O6, O7,  J38, J39,  J27, J26 , J25, J11, D11, D16/3, B12, Q2, D20.  19 different classes of engine RTR, admitted no tank engines though.

O6 and O7 are a cheat as neither are LNER designs.  J39 listed twice.  Having looked at the list where would LNER modellers be without Union Mills (11 of that list are Union Mills leaving 7 types covered by other manufacturers including two duplications- B1 and J39).

So we are missing all LNER tank types, all LNER 2-6-0 types, all home-grown 2-8-0 types of which the O4 must be the most numerous unrepresented steam class of any railway, all ex- North British types, all ex- Great Northern types..........

If you look at locos with DCC sockets you are left with 4 Pacific types, two 4-6-0s and one 0-6-0 of LNER origin.  Hardly well represented.

Just a thought.

Les

Edited by Les1952
  • Like 1

You could argue similar for Southern and LMS - it's just the good old GWR that has had locos churned out (mainly by one company!!).

The two important classes 14xx and 45xx haven't so far had the DCC treatment, no big tanks but you're spoilt for choice on Panniers.

Diesels get decent coverage in N though.