RevolutioN announce 56xx in N

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, woodenhead said:

You could argue similar for Southern and LMS - it's just the good old GWR that has had locos churned out (mainly by one company!!).

The two important classes 14xx and 45xx haven't so far had the DCC treatment, no big tanks but you're spoilt for choice on Panniers.

Diesels get decent coverage in N though.

Both 14xx and 45xx are easy to hardwire, the worst part is dismantling the darn things in the first place.

Edited by Richard E
  • Agree 1

23 hours ago, HRH_Dan_Hull said:

LNER is 'neglected' - J39, B1, A1, A2, A3, A4, B17, O6, O7,  J38, J39,  J27, J26 , J25, J11, D11, D16/3, B12, Q2, D20.  19 different classes of engine RTR, admitted no tank engines though.

I didn't say the LNER locos are neglected. just that it would be nice to have one of them for a change, it is the LNER tank locos that are neglected and always have been RTR in N, I can only think of the ancient Farish Holden Tank (ignoring the J94 which was an austerity design).

Les does make a valid point, LNER modellers are lucky to have Union  Mills, but that said, they haven't made an LNER prototype since the D16/3 quite a number of years ago, and aside from these solid but basic non DCC ready models, there are actually very few models from other manufacturers.

Anyway, time will tell, I would like to continue to support Sonic so I am hoping the next loco will be of interest to those modelling other than the GWR/WR of the launch model (I dream of an N2 and have a Quad Art set waiting)...

Roy

Roy

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, SRfanJV said:

Hi Ben, 

I know its always difficult to say....but is any update on a rough arrival date for 56xx's at all? 

Thanks. 

The Revolution Trains website project page (which Ben and Mike always say is the best place to look for this sort of information :wink_mini:) says estimated delivery to the UK is late-May to June 2021. Is that rough enough? :laugh_mini2:

Edited by Western Aviator
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

just looking at the Revolution website as directed and ETA still given as late May/early June. Without getting my head bitten off can I just ask if this estimate still stands? I would assume that by now production and individual packaging will have all been done if this timeframe is to be achieved?

Roy

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Roy

We have no new information at the moment. We update the estimate when we have anything new. 

Whether that estimate is still achievable will depend entirely on when production is complete and how they are shipped. For example if production finished in 2-3 weeks and they are airfreighted then they could be here by late May, if they go by ship then more likely late June. Conversely production could finish mid-June and if they are air freighted they could still arrive within the current estimate of late May to June (it doesn’t say early June). 

The decision on how things are shipped is pretty much the final step as it is only at that stage you know exact size/weight of pallet(s) plus both air and sea shipping rates have been so variable over the last 12-15 months. 

Cheers Mike

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

17 hours ago, red death said:

Hi Roy

We have no new information at the moment. We update the estimate when we have anything new. 

Whether that estimate is still achievable will depend entirely on when production is complete and how they are shipped. For example if production finished in 2-3 weeks and they are airfreighted then they could be here by late May, if they go by ship then more likely late June. Conversely production could finish mid-June and if they are air freighted they could still arrive within the current estimate of late May to June (it doesn’t say early June). 

The decision on how things are shipped is pretty much the final step as it is only at that stage you know exact size/weight of pallet(s) plus both air and sea shipping rates have been so variable over the last 12-15 months. 

Cheers Mike

Hi Mike

Thanks for the reply. I am probably not the only one who has no idea how frequently and on what basis communication is made between you/Sam of Sonic and the factory in this example and more generally in the wider area of Far East production. . For example whether the factory provides regular progress reports at specifically agreed points through the production cycle or they are more ad-hoc. This to an extent will I appreciate be down to what is customary for a Chinese factory and may not align with what we might expect, and it would be really interesting to understand how things works in practice if you are able to share (it may also head off questions like mine :rolleyes: ).

Of course I am also keen to see the 56xxs land not just in its own right (two on order) but because I am itching to know what Sam's next loco will be, not least because it feels like Sonic may be the only source of new tool N steam locos to the Market for a while. In that respect I think a lot of us whose modelling interests include steam owe Revolution and Sonic a debt of gratitude.

Roy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Roy,

Communication with Sam (and the other factories) is as you would expect: primarily via email and interspersed with calls or messaging.

We are always ready to answer individual questions about livery selection, model specification, and we are always grateful for advice about errors or possible pitfalls.  For example there was useful feedback on tool boxes during early development of the 56xx.

But 'updates' on models that we've said are in production are different. 

As everyone knows, Covid has caused the time required to complete a production run change drastically for obvious reasons.  Every part of the assembly process is taking a different amount of time, and previous scheduling experience that enabled realistic predictions is no longer applicable.  This is outside anyone's experience.  So once production has started there is nothing for us to do other than wait.

There is no incentive for the factory to delay; they only get the last payment when the models are shipped.  Because we know they are working as fast as they reasonably can we don't keep distracting them with requests for updates; they will tell us when they have something to say.

Rest assured: we aren't holding back.   When there is something definitive to say we will say it.

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Hi Ben

I wasn't suggesting for a second that there was any question of you guys or the factory delaying or holding back, my apologies if it came across that way, my question was out of genuine curiosity only.

I do appreciate the huge spanner Covid has thrown in the works, and the context you put around the impact it has caused in your reply to my question is perhaps the most inciteful I have seen to date.

Basically and put simply it is a case of having nothing to measure things by, production starts whenever it starts and finishes whenever it is done, even reporting progress along the way gives no reliable indication of when a product will be ready.

Got it!

Best wishes

Roy

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

It's certainly looking the part, captures the bulky appearance of the 56XX nicely. 

@Ben A Will the ends of the axles be painted on the release models? That's the only thing that really stood out in the photos (easily solved with a blob of black paint if not)

Tom.  

Edited by TomE
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, TomE said:

@Ben A Will the ends of the axles be painted on the release models? That's the only thing that really stood out in the photos (easily solved with a blob of black paint if not)

Tom.  

Hi Tom,

These are production samples so I am pretty sure this is how the models will be delivered.  I will ask though.

cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Ben A
  • Thanks 1

Looking good.

I recommend the 0-6-2 tank papers Vol 1 and Vol 2 by Ian Sixsmith for anyone interested in these locos. Although the photos are monochrome they are very useful - generally 56xx in Vol 1 and 66xx in Vol 2.  

• Informative/Useful 1

• 3 weeks later...

Per the Revolution newsletter, it looks like these are now due into the UK in July/August. Factor in a couple of weeks for unloading and distribution, and I suspect we'll be looking at mid August / early September for delivery.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Sam

It should be as expected (ie July or August) on our website and newsletter (unless there are any last minute problems). Transit time includes time for loading and unloading etc. Somethings are not always easy to predict eg the recent Suez incident or what happens at Customs. 

cheers Mike

1 hour ago, red death said:

Hi Sam

It should be as expected (ie July or August) on our website and newsletter (unless there are any last minute problems). Transit time includes time for loading and unloading etc. Somethings are not always easy to predict eg the recent Suez incident or what happens at Customs. 

cheers Mike

Hi Mike, my mistake, I took from the newsletter that this was the arrival date in the UK. That's good to know!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...