RevolutioN announce 56xx in N

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

Hi Tom,

We absolutely will do one of the preserved examples. If only because at least then I can justify one for myself!

Out of interest, of the preserved and running examples are there any particular celebrities or preferences? Since two are in green and just one in black, it seems green would be the way to go...

Cheers

Ben A.

• Like 1

5637 on the East Somerset railway is another option (would not be my preferred one unless it was in a different livery however). 

attachicon.gifUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_27a6.jpg

6695 is in the same livery. It was running on the Swanage Railway for a long time. It was damaged when it was being taken  to the West Somerset Railway where it still is. I would like to see more models of preserved steam engines.

Many of the preserved locos feature the belt seam patch on the lower half of the tank, which seems to have appeared on many locos in the BR(W) era, although I'm not sure when this started to happen.

I suggest RevolutioN stick to the original traditional tank style, to maximise their GWR and BR(W) coverage.

• RMweb Gold

:locomotive:  :locomotive:  :locomotive:  :locomotive:  :locomotive:

What brilliant news and an excellent choice of prototype. Sign me up for one as soon as the order books open. I cannot believe I managed to miss this thread !  

In spite of their association with the welsh valleys, they did get all over the system. A couple were shedded at Oxford and often turned up on pick-up goods in the Thames valley. Here is a shot of 6664 at Slough in 1955.

6664_at_Slough%2C_October_1955.jpg

One was allocated to Slough for quite a while, it was at one time a regular performer on the Wycombe Goods. 

• RMweb Gold

Many of the preserved locos feature the belt seam patch on the lower half of the tank...

Hi there,

Is that the line going through the lower half of the BR logo on the flat sides? I noticed that isn't on the CAD.

Would those wanting a preserved one be happy with the right livery/identity but this line missing, or printed?

Cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Gold

Would those wanting a preserved one be happy with the right livery/identity but this line missing, or printed?

Personally I could live without the seam, although if there were a method of convincingly printing it that's probably the better option to maximise the coverage as mentioned above. 

Again, personally, I think i'd prefer to see a lined green preserved example represented, but either way I'd be happy!

Tom.  

Edited by TomE

• RMweb Gold

Many of the preserved locos feature the belt seam patch on the lower half of the tank, which seems to have appeared on many locos in the BR(W) era, although I'm not sure when this started to happen.

I suggest RevolutioN stick to the original traditional tank style, to maximise their GWR and BR(W) coverage.

This is a very important point and although like Miss P I can't date it the feature became common sometime imn y the BR era.  In 2mm scale the tooling difference would be difficult to achieve realistically so it is probably a very sensible step to not do it and leave the tanks 'as built'.

There are a couple of other noticeable detail changes which took place on these engines -

Cab sliding shutters began to appear from c 1930 and seem to have been completed on all engines by 1939 so logically should be included on the model to cover the widest number of periods of operation.

Recessing the bunker top and adding a weatherboard above the original bunker top to match the recess (see my 1962 photo below) began in the mid 1930s but adding the weatherboard took place more slowly and there were still examples recorded without it in the mid 1950s - need for a careful choice of running numbers matched to (reliably)  dated photos if anyone one wants to be absolutely right.

The smokebox top lamp bracket being moved down to the smokebox door did not start until 1956 

post-6859-0-03803600-1543662000_thumb.jpg

PS The photo is of one of Aberdare's 'pets' used on the Vale of Neath service hence its lined green livery was kept nice and clean.

Edited by The Stationmaster

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mike and Miss Prism,

Thanks for those notes - very helpful. The CAD includes the cab sliding shutters and weatherboard, though it is not clear if the latter is a separate part or moulded integrally.

I think we will want to offer a preserved version - probably in lined green - with the caveat that the weld seam is either just printed or left off altogether.

I suppose the very keen could represent the seam with a very thin strip of clear decal medium themselves, or file all the rivets off and touch in the paint to represent 6695.

Cheers

Ben A.

• Like 2

Hi Tom,

We absolutely will do one of the preserved examples. If only because at least then I can justify one for myself!

Out of interest, of the preserved and running examples are there any particular celebrities or preferences? Since two are in green and just one in black, it seems green would be the way to go...

Cheers

Ben A.

One of the less heard about 5600s, GWR 6697 down at Didcot Railway Centre. Her GWR Sans Serif 'Grotesque' lettering is something we ain't seen done by any of the RTR manufacturers yet either...

44282962822_7b6abbbd0d_b.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

As this is a general release, rather than crowd funded, is it the intention for it to be widely available from model shops, only from existing Revolution Trains stockists, or only direct from Revolution Trains? (The same applies to the VEA.)

If this model is a success, it would be nice to see other 0-6-2Ts — the Coal Tank and E4 (if Bachmann don't announce them for the Farish range) and the LNER N2 or N7 — neither of which GF are likely to do.

• RMweb Gold

Just noticed that the vacuum pipe run was originally internal, and not outside on the lhs valence:

attachicon.gif6644-small.jpg

Ah, it seems we have entered a minefield with added bear traps and typical GWR non-standard standardisation.   Looking through a number of photos the position of the pipe, or indeed the presence or not of 'kink' in it, seems to bear no resemblance to who built the engine or which batch it came in.  What does not help is that I can't find similarly dated photos of engines while in traffic pre-preservation but I have a suspicion that what we might be looking at is a result of the way the ATC conduit was routed because a number of engines have what appears to be a smaller diameter pipe on the right hand side.  So was the vacuum pipe moved depending on the position of the ATC conduit or otherwise was it simply a consequence of what happened at works on overhaul.  There are quite late (in BR times) photos of some of these engines with no pipe on the left hand hanging bar (footplate valance).

As ever with GWR/exGWR engines it is back to using reliably dated photos to get individual details correct - if you happen to be that fussy.  All I would say is that such detail will be considerably less obvious ion 2mm scale than in 4mm (or larger) and when it comes down to it how many folk would know the difference because their only experience of these engines will be preserved examples.

I'm looking at this from the point of view of a modeller who might find the chassis useful for a type we are far less likely to see.

The wheels are about the right size for a GER/LNER N7 and for an NER/LNER N10.

OK, the wheelbase is a bit too compact, but 0.5mm plus 1mm for one, and 0.75mm plus 1.5mm for the other means that if and only if the body is designed to be cleanly removable the chassis then becomes useable for putting under a 3D printed (or at the worst white metal) body.  Remember kit-built locos?  Something that is largely dying out in N.  

Ben A has some experience with the concept as the N Gauge Society Stove R chassis is available separately and is used for other 6-wheeled rolling stock.

I hope I've provoked some thought.  Are there any other 0-6-2Ts with 4'7 to 4'8 wheels and a similar wheelbase?

Les

• RMweb Premium

It's a brave RTR manufacturer who takes on a humble GWR tank engine.

As someone with an N-gauge stock of 42 active DCC Pacifics plus a half-dozen more analogue ones I'd say it was time for some more decent locos for local work.

I'm thinking N2 and N7 0-6-2Ts for Eastern,  N10 0-6-2T or G5 0-4-4T for North Eastern, a decent Brighton 0-6-2T, an SECR H 0-4-4T, a Caledonian 0-4-4T, a Midland 0-4-4 tank, the list of candidates is long.  

Hopefully the 56xx will lead to more of this size.  An N2 or N7 might be a good next step, both passenger types from the London area that also got a lot further afield, and with preserved examples for scanning..

Les

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

In terms of livery I'm up for either the 1906 livery (Great Western) as carried when first built or 1934 livery (shirtbutton). I am led to believe the latter is not particularly popular so the former would be better, I suspect, commercially.

Edited by Richard E

• 2 weeks later...