RevolutioN announce 56xx in N

Andy Y

If you had to pick just one GWR livery I would suggest shirtbutton is the most appealing for a GWR release, simply because it is much easier to remove a shirt button and reletter IF you wish to change the period of your model so this gives the most options to modellers, imagine how much harder it would be to remove 'great western' and add a shirtbutton if you wanted to go the other way!

Oh and for the record, my personal preference is 'great western' but I am unsure for a business point of view it is the best idea seen as that was short lived on this class and predates a number of class members construction.

• RMweb Premium

As this is a general release, rather than crowd funded, is it the intention for it to be widely available from model shops, only from existing Revolution Trains stockists, or only direct from Revolution Trains? (The same applies to the VEA.)

If this model is a success, it would be nice to see other 0-6-2Ts — the Coal Tank and E4 (if Bachmann don't announce them for the Farish range) and the LNER N2 or N7 — neither of which GF are likely to do.

The N2 in particular for me please.

The N2 in particular for me please.

Here: https://www.shapeways.com/product/ZQWZJJEEC/lner-n2-body-shell?optionId=62299307

Makes a good N2 and it's not that hard to put together, no need to wait for a RTR one.

Let's just be happy with the 56xx for now before bombarding them with other things we want and can't be bothered to build ourselves?

If you had to pick just one GWR livery I would suggest shirtbutton is the most appealing for a GWR release, simply because it is much easier to remove a shirt button and reletter IF you wish to change the period of your model so this gives the most options to modellers, imagine how much harder it would be to remove 'great western' and add a shirtbutton if you wanted to go the other way!

Oh and for the record, my personal preference is 'great western' but I am unsure for a business point of view it is the best idea seen as that was short lived on this class and predates a number of class members construction.

I see your logic, but few RTR buyers are willing to re-livery their locos. Unlike the later liveries, the "Great Western" style could plausibly have been seen on the class right through from introduction to early BR days.  

I see this topic not a month after I finish a dud kit of one.    I suppose I will order one when available, and not bother painting mine.

Any word on spec?   I don't think I saw motor or compatiblity in the thread here.

• RMweb Gold

I see this topic not a month after I finish a dud kit of one.    I suppose I will order one when available, and not bother painting mine.

Any word on spec?   I don't think I saw motor or compatiblity in the thread here.

It was in the description on Page 1:

"The models will be available in GWR green, BR green and BR black, and will feature coreless motors, NEM 6 pin decoder socket, NEM couplers, original or later style driving wheel balance weights, Swindon or Armstrong (NE) safety valves, detailed cab interior and accessory detal pack."

Tom  

• RMweb Premium

Here: https://www.shapeways.com/product/ZQWZJJEEC/lner-n2-body-shell?optionId=62299307

Makes a good N2 and it's not that hard to put together, no need to wait for a RTR one.

Let's just be happy with the 56xx for now before bombarding them with other things we want and can't be bothered to build ourselves?

Thanks Dan, but I'd rather not shell out on a shell(!) which requires a chassis that I'll have to modify and face a write-off.

Thanks Dan, but I'd rather not shell out on a shell(!) which requires a chassis that I'll have to modify and face a write-off.

It's not that difficult to put together and it's hard to see how any manufacturer will top the quality of that body shell, I used to be like you, too scared to try anything through fear of 'writing things off', but I started with low risk projects and gained confidence, I urge you and anyone like you to do the same, there are some great items out there that are so nearly RTR that i fear you may miss out on. You know there is even a quad art you can get that would go very nicely with that N2. ;)

This leaves me with something of a dilemma.

What shall I do with the Farish pannier chassis I brought off eBay for a kit built 56xx? At least I hadn’t yet got round to buying the kit!

Looks really nice - either a South Wales layout beckons or a hefty dose of modeller’s license. I mean if they were good at hauling coal they must have been suitable for China clay.......

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Jon Harbour said:

Any news on when and where we shall be able to order these?

No, not yet.   The next stage is seeing the EP1 sample, probably in early summer, but we've no plans to open the order book at the moment.

cheers

Ben A.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎05‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 10:34, GeoffAlan said:

Great for GWR modellers. I too crave an LNER N of almost any type.

Agreed Geoff. 

I certainly plan to support this enterprise even though a 56xx will be a "Rule 1" purchase for me, but then they are such pretty little locos too.

However I too think a trick has been missed by all manufacturers, especially following the canning of the J72 by Farish. An LNER tank loco is such an obvious gaping hole in RTR British N and always has been, in fact I think (ignoring the J94) the only N Gauge LNER tank loco there has ever been RTR in British N was the Holden Tank from 1972/3. There are plenty to choose from, including some nice 0-6-0s, and 0-6-2s.

My suggestion would be the J50 which is sufficiently large that technical challenges of smaller tank locos would not apply and indeed why not do a "Hunslet" anyway and have DCC and "stay alive" on bpard anyway. The Hornby J50 in 00 seems to be doing well enough commercially and the loco was fairly well spread geographically..

Regards

Roy

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I think the problem with LNER tanks RTR in N, is N is still keeping to relatively well-known prototypes.    Other than the Austerities, none of the LNER tanks stand out like a Pannier, Terrier or Jinty.    Except, maybe, the J70/Y6 pair, which have limited scope for prototypical use, being limited to, what, two lines?   I'm admittedly not invested into LNER, but I really only know about the J70, and even then because of Toby.

• RMweb Gold

The trouble with the LNER is that the "standard" tanks are not as standard as all that. Even the J50 was found mainly in West Yorkshire and the London area—AFAIK there were few if any in the north-east. J72s and J69 (the "Holden Tank") were reasonably widespread in their "home" areas and also in other parts of the NE, but are both small locos (I don't know whether the Holden Tank was to scale or not.)

47 minutes ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

The trouble with the LNER is that the "standard" tanks are not as standard as all that. Even the J50 was found mainly in West Yorkshire and the London area—AFAIK there were few if any in the north-east. J72s and J69 (the "Holden Tank") were reasonably widespread in their "home" areas and also in other parts of the NE, but are both small locos (I don't know whether the Holden Tank was to scale or not.)

If I recall correctly the Holden Tank is slightly overscale to accommodate the motor. I have one of mine in front of me now (yes, still a perfect runner in spite of a long life but a "shelf queen" these days!).  It is indeed a tiny model, and as an aside it is slightly sad that Bachamann cited technical challenges for canning the J72 when original Farish designers achieved this over 45 years ago with the technology available then...

Point taken about the LNER and lack of "standard" locos. Of the "Big 4" it was the most impoverished and more inclined to keep older more regional locos going. Even still, as Hornby found the J50 successful in 00, and given the lack of anything else in N, I'd still expect a model in N to do well. If not most certainly the N2 would...

Roy

• 3 weeks later...

When built the locomotives had short safety valve covers and original style balance weights.
Later, the locomotives were fitted with revised wheels and a longer safety valve cover.

No.

Try:  "When built the locomotives had tall safety valve covers and small balance weights. Later, the locomotives were fitted with larger balance weights and a short safety valve cover."

I note the CADs still show the rare toolbox on the front rhs,