Bachmann Baldwin only runs in one direction

Class45

I purchased a Bachmann Baldwin in July this year and it's been a lovely little runner up until yesterday when all of a sudden it started having trouble running in a forward direction. Going in reverse it's fine but when I try to get it to run forwards it will crawl for an inch or so and then just stop. I've checked the valve gear and coupling rods and can't see any damage.  Just wondering if anyone might have some idea about what's going on before I send it back to Bachmann under warranty.

• RMweb Premium

It might be the same problem a friend had. This was caused by a diode going short circuit, there are four of them on the PCB inside. What controller have you been using?

Send it to Bachmann to fix, they have the spares.

• 3 weeks later...

I purchased a Bachmann Baldwin in July this year and it's been a lovely little runner up until yesterday when all of a sudden it started having trouble running in a forward direction. Going in reverse it's fine but when I try to get it to run forwards it will crawl for an inch or so and then just stop. I've checked the valve gear and coupling rods and can't see any damage.  Just wondering if anyone might have some idea about what's going on before I send it back to Bachmann under warranty.

Hi There, my Baldwin has just developed identical symptoms, did you send it back to Bachmann?, how have you solved the issue?. NB: I only bought mine on 15/10 & it has had very little use.

Regards Chris

• RMweb Gold

My Baldwin went poof yesterday with the same issue I guessed it was a diode blown it's now winging its way back to Bachmann, it's a real pain in the butt as

I have only the one locomotive it's not really good for something 6 months old and to have such little use to fail unlike their 00 loco's which are fairly robust,

my local shop Alton Models kindly loaned me a N gauge Pannier so  I could get on with track laying.

Btw I use a brand new Combi could it be an issue there ? I don't really think so I've had Gaugemaster controllers for more years than I care to remember.

Just received my Baldwin back from Bachmann and it's working fine again, took just over a week from when I sent it. They included a service technicians report which mentioned they had replaced a faulty PCB. There was also a big sticker on the report warning me not to use the loco with a feedback controller ( which I hadn't been ). 

• RMweb Gold

Just received my Baldwin back from Bachmann and it's working fine again, took just over a week from when I sent it. They included a service technicians report which mentioned they had replaced a faulty PCB. There was also a big sticker on the report warning me not to use the loco with a feedback controller ( which I hadn't been ). 

I saw no warning whatsoever regarding feedback controllers perhaps Bachmann need to make sure their customers are aware of this. 

Hi There, my Baldwin has just developed identical symptoms, did you send it back to Bachmann?, how have you solved the issue?. NB: I only bought mine on 15/10 & it has had very little use.

Regards Chris

Just had a FOC replacement from Hattons on 11th Dec, running OK at present & keeping fingers crossed that this one will be a "good" one. 

• 2 years later...

I'm now on my 3rd Bachmann Baldwin which has just gone pop yesterday with this same problem. Using a Gaugemaster Combi controller - has anyone else had further problems with this model? Would converting it to DCC help at all?

Any thoughts very helpful - thank you! 

• RMweb Premium

As the faulty component(s) would still be present I don't think going DCC would help, although I haven't checked this. Unless your loco is fitted with lights the simplest fix is to remove the diodes, as that is what they are there for. It's a known fault caused by a bad batch of diodes.

• Like 1

I've finally got enough track on my 009 layout to test my WHR 590 (Red with DCC sound) which was part of the second batch and purchased almost exactly a year ago. Unfortunately it seems to exhibit a very similar problem.

Does anyone know if the same diode issue affects these second-batch/DCC fitted locos?

My GVT Baldwin (fitted with the same decoder bought SH from someone who didn't want a sound-fitted version) runs fine.

I've only run it with a Gaugemaster Model D on analogue and a Prodigy Advance 2 on DCC, so an old/feedback controller isn't the issue.

I've dropped Bachmann an e-mail anyway to see what they say.

Edited by LittleRedTrain
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 4 weeks later...

So my Baldwin arrived back from Bachmann today.

They couldn't find a problem with it on DC or DCC, but reset the decoder anyway.
Their recommendation was to ensure that I supplied enough power on starting to prevent stalling (which should be a non-issue with a light loco on level track).

Upon trying it, it still seems to exhibit occasional cut outs at slow speed. I'm wondering whether there's either some mechanical or electrical issue that is manifesting on my layout but not on theirs for some reason.
It's almost like it hits a dead spot, as a tiny nudge is enough to get it going again.

Still odd that the GVT example, with identical decoder runs perfectly on the same track.

Going to have to do some more investigation I think...

Edited by LittleRedTrain