British outline lococmotive

Of course a week ago, we knew that there was going to be an announcement at Warley. Which could be anything, loco or coach or wagon or some obscure item like a DCC working destination screen.

Now we know its a loco. I hear it will have wheels, round wheels and that it can move by itself using an electric motor with DC or DCC options.

• RMweb Gold

A white painted handrail means hopefully a diesel/electric to the same standard as the wagons.

I imagine Lugers being primed in RTR boardrooms, or even Rosa Klebb bringing in the tea!

Mike.

One thing I can confirm is that it's not a handrail, and it is on the real loco. It's not the best pic we took on the survey, but will publish the full pic next week to prove so. :)

Well prior to announcing the Irish A class, IRM posted a heavily pixelated picture as a teaser to the announcement that had nothing To do at all with the Loco, a teaser to keep us on our toes.

That pic actually was of the A Class, we always play fair! :) See it below, unpixelated :)

post-7114-0-50622200-1542369035.jpg

Cheers!

Fran

Edited by 071
  • Like 2

Was also there for the London night and Frans presentation. His desktop picture was indeed the A class announced by IRM and due next year. I remember at the time thinking of taking a picture, but decided against adding to the rumor mill.

Well, the Co-Bos had a lot in common with the 'A' class and - hint, hint - the 'C' class ...................................... but they've been done recently so that's not it ! ( whatever colour handrails they had )

• RMweb Gold

So it is an existing locomotive, which excludes a lot from the froth list, looks to me like electrical sheathing on a HT cable so not steam, probably on a preserved locomotive with a very clean interior, 89001 perhaps??

Jim

He did say "identities" but 89001 has only one...

• RMweb Gold

Hmm,

A quick run through diesel classes, doesnt show many diesels with white exterior pipes., and none against a light background.

Easiest is a class 03 with its white exterior frame mounted pipes, but i’d not have any bets on that.

Next up is the white pipes running to the brakes on English Electric bogies.. 20, 37,50,55. Other possibilities is the white pipe under the nose and above the bogies on a class 40. Trouble is all these pipes are against a black background, not a light one as in the picture..unless the prototype was getting a repaint at the time, it could of course be an interior pipe..., in which case it could be just about anything including my fridge freezer.

Edited by adb968008

Hmm,

A quick run through diesel classes, doesnt show many diesels with white exterior pipes., and none against a light background.

Easiest is a class 03 with its white exterior frame mounted pipes, but i’d not have any bets on that.

Next up is the white pipes running to the brakes on English Electric bogies.. 20, 37,50,55. Other possibilities is the white pipe under the nose and above the bogies on a class 40. Trouble is all these pipes are against a black background, not a light one as in the picture..unless the prototype was getting a repaint at the time, it could of course be an interior pipe..., in which case it could be just about anything including my fridge freezer.

Don't suppose it's an 04 then :(

Hmm,

Did you have some strange men measuring up your fridge recently?

I know what it is.......

It's a winding up handle.......

.......or.......an engine room pipe in a class 47......naaaah.....couldn't be.....could it?

This game IS exciting.

• RMweb Premium

The photo is obviously an extreme closeup of a single driver's hair with the cab of a diesel or electric locomotive of some type in the background. The hair is standing up straight and has turned white from shock and terror as the driver realises that a) there is no signalling on the route and b) the loco is approaching a first radius curve with no transition at 150mph.

It is thus clearly intended to be suitable for the younger modeller and one can imagine the hairs being sold singly or in small tufts at pocket-money prices. Perhaps some proof of purchase system will be used to unlock access to a model of a diesel or electric locomotive of some type, but frankly that's the least interesting aspect of this project.

Finally, despite what Fran has said, I don't believe this is a prototype photograph. It would be impossible to induce the necessary emotional distress without contravening all sorts of health and safety regs. So while the original hair may indeed have been laser-scanned from an actual driver, it is much more likely that the design was manipulated in CAD to the required shape and that what we see in the picture is the promised 3D print, crudely hand painted and photoshopped onto the cab of a diesel or electric locomotive of some type.

• Like 2

They are just after launching the largest numbered Diesel class in Ireland through IRM with many variations so don’t be surprised if its the class 47... But please can it be a class 50!!!

If they want a 'flagship' there are a good half dozen OO diesel models that have had a decent run since introduction, but are now looking increasingly weak against the best of the most recent introductions. It's all to play for...

I don,t think it could be any of the big main classes done elsewhere. They have posted photos of a 50 before now but duplicating, even with something that will be state of the art is now extremely risky.

My guess is one of the many small shunting diesel classes that has yet to be done. I ve speculated which one in a cryptic way earlier in the thread.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I can see exactly what it is - a very much magnified picture of part of a 3-D print so there were are, they've said they'll be showing a 3-D print and there it is. No doubt the more inquisitive will be wondering what it is a print of and that's easy - it's a print off a CAD.

But the real question is a CAD of what - some sort of beading perhaps?  And on what?  Now here I have an idea because I spoke to these excellent fellahs from over the water at the opening of the new Rails showroom some months back and while they were very tight lipped about their future plans they gave a geographical clue about where they had been while in England, albeit by compass point rather than anything more specific.  So now I could maybe be a bit naughty by hinting at conclusions from the compass direction they mentioned.  However that would either be betraying a confidence from a private conversation or possibly the direction they mentioned to me was a red herring, but clearly it isn't a departmental wagon so the bit about a herring could be wrong.

So from now on it's all very simple - they had gone/were going in one or other of a generalisation of the four main points of the compass in relation to Sheffield but for an indeterminate distance.  So the answer is that whatever it's a model of fits somewhere into that geographical area between the Irish Sea and the North Sea but not south of the English Channel (I'm not so clear on where I'd draw a northern boundary - and no that isn't a hint about the direction they mentioned).  But then Barney does sound very similar to Blarney if you say it quickly (that probably isn't a clue either).  I know where I'd put my money but that would be too nasty a guess in terms of confidence so I won't.  I'll hazard very uneducated, unhinted at, inexplicable guess that it might have six driving wheels.

Something that hauled PCA & PCV's perhaps?

More likely HUOs. If it is what I think it may be, then coal work is more likely than cement.

Btw they have posted at least one pick of 20s with HUOs.

Edited by JSpencer
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Was also there for the London night and Frans presentation. His desktop picture was indeed the A class announced by IRM and due next year. I remember at the time thinking of taking a picture, but decided against adding to the rumor mill.

I wasnt thinking of his desktop picture.

1 week to go, we’ll see.

Got to admit the white pipe sends me in a completely different direction to that night, and more towards a certain loco currently undergoing a repaint.

But then again they keep showing us the same picture of another class...

So i’m stuck in a guess of 3 classes, all of them made in the north west.

Edited by adb968008

Interestingly the class 50 has appeared on at least one Accurascale Facebook post. Now this loco could be seen running on 3 of the 4 points of Stationmasters compass. Unless we also include the class 50 prototype which was DP2. And that was on the eastern point of the compass (not covered by 50s) when it was suddenly killed off by - one of Accurascales wagons - the Cemflo.

I can see exactly what it is - a very much magnified picture of part of a 3-D print so there were are, they've said they'll be showing a 3-D print and there it is. No doubt the more inquisitive will be wondering what it is a print of and that's easy - it's a print off a CAD.

But the real question is a CAD of what - some sort of beading perhaps?  And on what?  Now here I have an idea because I spoke to these excellent fellahs from over the water at the opening of the new Rails showroom some months back and while they were very tight lipped about their future plans they gave a geographical clue about where they had been while in England, albeit by compass point rather than anything more specific.  So now I could maybe be a bit naughty by hinting at conclusions from the compass direction they mentioned.  However that would either be betraying a confidence from a private conversation or possibly the direction they mentioned to me was a red herring, but clearly it isn't a departmental wagon so the bit about a herring could be wrong.

So from now on it's all very simple - they had gone/were going in one or other of a generalisation of the four main points of the compass in relation to Sheffield but for an indeterminate distance.  So the answer is that whatever it's a model of fits somewhere into that geographical area between the Irish Sea and the North Sea but not south of the English Channel (I'm not so clear on where I'd draw a northern boundary - and no that isn't a hint about the direction they mentioned).  But then Barney does sound very similar to Blarney if you say it quickly (that probably isn't a clue either).  I know where I'd put my money but that would be too nasty a guess in terms of confidence so I won't.  I'll hazard very uneducated, unhinted at, inexplicable guess that it might have six driving wheels.

That’s very informative. We can rule out five- and seven-coupled locos. Narrows things down considerably.

• Like 1

It's a personal thing, I know, but I'm not waiting for a new version of any BR mainline diesel. What I am waiting for are several First Generation DMUs. These were an integral part of the BR scene from the late 1950s until the 1980s at least, and many distinctive classes have yet to be made RTR. I know all the arguments about the cost of two, three or more car units, but the fact is that I'm not interested in spending money replacing diesel locos that are already fairly good, accurate models. But I would spend money on DMUs like, say, a Class 120, or two or three.

• Like 3