Bachmann Class 47

steveb860

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

I’m not an expert on class 47 roofs..

but heres D1842/47192 earlier in its life.. (not my picture)

https://railphotoprints.uk/p52123336/h36D2B777#h36d2b777

it doesn't look quite like the model

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bachmann-32-806-Class-47-0-D1842-BR-Green-Small-Yellow-Panels/153516321877?hash=item23be492c55:g:ngsAAOSwhiJc-Q0H

the boiler port rectangular “hole” at the opposite end to the shutters looks to be closer to the cab in the BR picture, but further back on the model.

if ive got it right..

spanner is a circular hole further back of the cab 

stones is a rectangular hole further forwards of the cab

clayton is a rectangular hole further backwards of the cab

i used this post to research it..

That would mean this number is good for:

D1636-D1681, D1901-D1947, D1977-D1999, D1100 depending on the shutters at the other end.

Spot on - see previous posts re boiler ports. D1666-81, D1901-47, D1977-99 and D1100 were all built with the Serck grilles so would be correct for this model - others in the D1636-D1665 would have acquired Sercks at a later date so check a photo.  The current D1842 has the same body as the previously issued D1677/47256 models for which it was correct.

Boiler grilles can be fettled - we have used Extreme Etching/A1 models parts to produce both Stones and NB locos - neither of which Bachmann have done as unrefurbished models

Cheers

Phil

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 07/06/2019 at 16:48, 'CHARD said:

do I order a paired-up D1842 and D1670 MAMMOTH from Kernow...?   I must say that in recent years I've become a proper fanboy of the GSYP Big Brush, I put it down to the amount of effort the real things put in between Carlisle and Edinburgh!

What did you decide? An added incentive is that the Kernow D1670 is now reduced to £129.99. DCC fitted and DCC sound are also reduced commensurately.

• 1 year later...

I've heard that Bachmann have pulled production of 47 711, so that's model numbers 31-665 and 31-665SF.

EDIT: Bachmann have now clarified that there was a mistake with this statement. Apologies for that, the original post was made in good faith with information from a retailer.

Edited by APT Fan

19 minutes ago, APT Fan said:

I've heard that Bachmann have pulled production of 47 711, so that's model numbers 31-665 and 31-665SF.

Really?  The loco is included in the 2021 Combined Volume that landed on doormats this week. 

2 minutes ago, APT Fan said:

Yes I heard it from a retailer, so if you have a pre-order I'd check with the supplier to see where you stand.

It's of no interest to me personally, being a good decade too late for my tastes, but potentially pre-ordered by our other listeners.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, APT Fan said:

It's still listed on the Bachmann website https://www.Bachmann.co.uk/category/model-railway/branchline/diesel-locomotives?page=2, as is 32-807 47435 in BR blue which is the one I'm waiting for.

12 minutes ago, brushman47544 said:

Agree. And since it's only a re-livery I fail to see why Bachmann is not giving it a higher priority for production.

Which goes for the vast majority of awaited models from them. The current predicated release dates have no diesels listed after May/June and there are only  5 steam loco types listed after May/June which seems a bit limited so a release in the second half of the year is  possible.

4 hours ago, owentherail said:

Will be disappointed if they dont do 47435 

Seeing as they make no attempt at the correct ETH kit, is it any difference to just renumbering a blue 035 or 001 ?

Edited by rob D2

9 minutes ago, owentherail said:

Yeh the headcode is different..... unless they balls that up and hopefully no rivits on windows 

It’s domino ? I altered a 035 by grinding the marker lights down, and laminating a precision decals domino panel to stick on top.

I hate to say it but I don’t think the rivets have ever changed !

1 hour ago, rob D2 said:

It’s domino ? I altered a 035 by grinding the marker lights down, and laminating a precision decals domino panel to stick on top.

Yep, different headcode, hope no grinding!!  Of any sort, headcode or window frames 

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, rob D2 said:

I thought releases like 47444 had no rivets?

Roy

On 10/02/2021 at 21:17, owentherail said:

I think ones with headlights are ok and rivets on ones without headlights 

You are not wrong - 365/444( 467) and 346 with headlights no rivets.

055/433 both from newer 001 tooling - rivets. My rather heavy weathering on the nose picks them out ( have to get rid of some of that eyeliner !)

74C5A58C-5B2C-492F-BC2B-777AF5D1D544.jpeg

F30F70BD-79E5-40A5-856C-0851CCF1F0D0.jpeg

Edited by rob D2
  • Like 2

• 8 months later...

That's interesting since the pre order price for non sound 47711 was around £152.

The new tooling version of non sound 47012 being advertised for just over the £200 mark.

Great if 47711 is new tooling and pre order £152 is honoured.

Edited by RBC

• RMweb Gold

Though I salute Bachmann for retooling the Class 47, but I'm going to hang back for the moment and see what Heljan's version is like in comparison, though I'm hoping that there's not going to be much in it and it's solely down to price.

55 minutes ago, jools1959 said:

Though I salute Bachmann for retooling the Class 47, but I'm going to hang back for the moment and see what Heljan's version is like in comparison, though I'm hoping that there's not going to be much in it and it's solely down to price.

The Bachmann one appears to be much more accurate in terms of the shape - of course Heljan may surprise everyone and sort the issues out before release but I wouldn’t hold my breath as they haven’t on other models. 

The main one for me seems to be around the roof, which in turn has pushed the body side windows too low.

Of course these issues may not bother you, but for me my era of choice is late 80s early 90s and a lot of the liveries of this era feature the upper body band which highlights the issue more than a plain all over blue would for example.

Have a look the Heljan O gauge model and compare to a real photo, particularly the Dutch liveried one where they have tried to disguise the windows being too low by increasing the depth of the yellow band to create more colour below the window, but this in turn has meant they need to put more black under the cab window! The mid body steps are a good indication of how much lower the band comes down than the real thing.

The Bachmann looks a much better model to my eye, but it depends on how much value you put on total accuracy I guess! 

Edited by Global
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Hope that this is the correct place to ask this question: I am looking to model on of the Class 47/4 "Generator" locomotives (401-420) as at 1980 or thereabouts. Wondering whether the new Bachmann 35-411 would be a suitable starting point?

Changes that I know I would need to make are: -

*Fit ETH jumper cables and receptacles

*Change headcode panels from black "domino" style to the yellow panel with "flat" lenses

Are there any other issues to consider ?

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, EddieK said:

Hope that this is the correct place to ask this question: I am looking to model on of the Class 47/4 "Generator" locomotives (401-420) as at 1980 or thereabouts. Wondering whether the new Bachmann 35-411 would be a suitable starting point?

Changes that I know I would need to make are: -

*Fit ETH jumper cables and receptacles

*Change headcode panels from black "domino" style to the yellow panel with "flat" lenses

Are there any other issues to consider ?

The cantrail grills on atleast some of the generators are different they only have 1 strengthening rib rather than 5 and look quite distinct.

Have a look at a photo of 47401, and you will see what I mean.

Edited by pheaton