Cake Box display at Peterborough

Phil Parker

• Administrators

Would you like to be part of a Cake Box display at the National Festival of Railway Modelling held at Peterborough 8-9 December?

Would you like to get into the show for free?

We have allocated 12ft of space for displaying Cake Box projects on the BRM stand, so if you fancy showing off your box, we will be delighted to display it. So delighted that we will give you a free ticket to get in.

What you need to do:

• Send me a photo of your project to: phil.parker@warnersgroup.co.uk - it would help if you used the subject "Peterborough Display".
  • I'll also need your home address so we can send out the ticket.
  • Specify the day you will be attending. If you can do both, that's great, but we expect most people will only do one.

On the day:

• You have to get yourself to the show, sorry we can't transport you. 
  • Bring your project.
  • Find me on the BRM (it's just inside the main hall, you can't miss it, we've written BRM on it in big letters and there is a 50ft high cutout of Andy York)
  • We'll put the model on the stand. 
  • You can wander around the show bathed in glory.

I'm not going to panic if you can't be there when the show starts, and we won't set a time for the models to be taken away, although it would be polite for them to be there most of the day.

To help visitors, it would be useful if you could print out a 200-word description of the project we can put with it on the stand. Make sure your name (but not address) is on there so you can receive the adulation.

This isn't limited to official entries in the competition, if you have built a Cake Box project then you are welcome. Any standard is acceptable, you don't have to be a modelling god.

If we get a lot of applications, then I might have to limit numbers as we don't want to have to pile them on top of each other. Realistically, I expect we could handle 20 a day so it's first come, first served. Closing date is the end of this month as we need time to organise things at our end, so get a move on!

• Like 3

I don't see why not. We aren't going to check if the person who brings it built it. Drop me the e-mail and I'll sort it out.

Can I just check that you got the email that I sent, and that it’s got all the right info in it? I did send a second one as I’d forgotten to put my address in originally but if necessary can send the whole thing together.

• RMweb Gold

Not sure that these things would survive a trip through the post. However, I'm hoping this isn't the last time we have this offer.

If mine's anything to go by, I'd actually be very surprised if a number of these things would survive a trip through the post.

Mine had been stuffed away since I finished throwing it together building it - until about an hour back. When I opened it, I noticed that the train driver figure was flat on "his" face and the train section had rolled to one end of the box - so I've now tried a different adhesive to stick the train driver in place (if this works, I'd be happy to say which adhesive - but I'd prefer to wait until I know it works ...).

Unfortunately, there's no way I'd be able to get to Peterborough by public transport. I wish a similar offer could be made available for the Sunday of "Ally Pally" - but I'm not expecting it.

To be brutally honest, all along, I've seen my "Plan B" CBC entry as a cheap (and expendable) "proof of concept" exercise - to test if certain materials hold together for any length of time, without reacting with each other. I don't regard this one as a "keeper" - in fact, the only reason I haven't scrapped it yet is that I can't think of any worthwhile use for any of the bits I threw together when building it!

This is why Stuart's comment, about submitting an entry trought the mail, struck a chord with me - although I could have imagined some people (with better entries than mine) being more interested in handing the things over at "Warley". OK - I don't see this happening - and I could imagine a number of people being quite relieved about this.

As for any future "show and tell" cakebox displays, I could imagine a number of these needing to feature scenes that don't fit with the themes current at the time - and quite possibly don't even fit with any of the official challenge themes - as getting enough scenes to provide a worthwhile display might otherwise prove difficult. However, as long as things are sufficiently "open ended", I have seen a number of ideas in books, which could make for some fascinating cakebox scenes. It'll be interesting to see what (if anything) happens with regard to any displays at shows in the future.

Huw.

Can I just check that you got the email that I sent, and that it’s got all the right info in it? I did send a second one as I’d forgotten to put my address in originally but if necessary can send the whole thing together.

I'd done the same sent 2 in because I'd forgotten to put what day lol

Andy

Could be the quickest car loading and unloading I've ever done for an exhibition!

Pete

Yes. I was thinking of going on the train even with the cake boxes but I understand it’s not that near the station so may go by car now. Despite having been to Ally Pally several times and Doncaster once (as a visitor) I don’t think I’ve ever been to the Peterborough show. Edited by 009 micro modeller

Yes. I was thinking of going on the train even with the cake boxes but I understand it’s not that near the station so may go by car now. Despite having been to Ally Pally several times and Doncaster once (as a visitor) I don’t think I’ve ever been to the Peterborough show.

But I do believe there is a free shuttle bus between the station and the exhibition venue....

I have seriously considered taking part and have already written to Phil on 6 November. But I have almost 1000 km of drive and would also need a hotel. That's why someone else is coming and staying there as a good place as you can? Arraving I would drive on Friday and back on Monday. It would be nice, of course, if you can also spend time together under Cake Box model builders.

• Administrators

I’m assuming that even if our scenes have an ‘operational mode’ they are to be static exhibits at Peterborough?

I've not arranged for electricity to this bit of the stand, although it's not out of the question. Whether you'd want to stand and operate it for the duration of the show though is open to question. I mean, we'd expect constant movement or there will be moans on RMweb... :stinker:

• Like 1

I've not arranged for electricity to this bit of the stand, although it's not out of the question. Whether you'd want to stand and operate it for the duration of the show though is open to question. I mean, we'd expect constant movement or there will be moans on RMweb... :stinker:

Cakeboxen with "Operational modes" might display a working timetable, allowing the modeller to return occasionally to activate at appropriate times...

Or, perhaps be clearly labeled So or Sx as required....  :jester:

Mine has to have an additional stick for this anyway so I probably shouldn’t.

• RMweb Gold

I’m assuming that even if our scenes have an ‘operational mode’ they are to be static exhibits at Peterborough?

I'd imagine this all depends on what's meant by "animation" or "operational mode".

Let's imagine I were to turn up at the show with a "Th*m*s meets his maker" themed cakebox - complete with noises ("extra low voltage" DC buzzer) and "oxy-gear" flashes (blue LED, possibly with short length of optical fibre / thick fishing tackle to help direct the light), something like this wouldn't need mains electricity and a "wall wart".

A PP3 battery would suffice - as long as there were also a suitably positioned "push to make / release to break" switch, labelled along the lines of "press for action" - hours of fun for nippers of all ages ... .

Don't worry - I've never built such a diorama - I'm in no rush to do so - anyway, I'd have no way of getting to Peterborough, so I'm not expecting this to happen any time soon.

Cakeboxen with "Operational modes" might display a working timetable, allowing the modeller to return occasionally to activate at appropriate times...

Or, perhaps be clearly labeled So or Sx as required....  :jester:

This sounds like my local train station a few years back - especially on Sundays, when it didn't seem to get much of a train service before about 2 PM.

Huw.

Let's imagine I were to turn up at the show with a "Th*m*s meets his maker" themed cakebox.

Huw,

I got all excited for a second thinking you'd gone ahead and built it! Oh well, I guess I'll just have to wait now.

Regards

Andrew

Edited by Cornholio
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Let's imagine I were to turn up at the show with a "Th*m*s meets his maker" themed cakebox - complete with noises ... and "oxy-gear" flashes

I got all excited for a second thinking you'd gone ahead and built it! Oh well, I guess I'll just have to wait now.

Please don't tempt me ... !

Seriously though, I was joking about such a build when I visited last year's "Warley" show. I can't remember for certain - but I suspect I might have gone into a bit more detail about this one in the "CBC chat" thread - stuff like a scrapyard, with a Tri-ang / Hornby 4 wheel coach used as an office, complete with a card backscene done to look like a load of Th*m*s's "friends" assembled in a Vic Berry style stack, complete with "kettle" #13 tipped at an angle with bent frames and a flame-cut tankside from "kettle" #666. It goes without saying that the star of the show would have come in for special attention ... .

As for the Diesels - well, they'd be nowhere to be seen - after all, they're "really useful", aren't they?

Of course, I wouldn't dream of upsetting the nippers in this way - would I?

In practice, such a scene could probably be done in the space - as long as space-saving ideas were used, like the "stack" being a cardboard cutout. However, I'm not actually in any rush to build it myself. I'm sure any kids would soon get over it - but, right now, I've got other uses for my (scarce) free time.

Oh well, never mind ... .

Regards,

Huw.