Cake Box display at Peterborough

Phil Parker

• Administrators

****** Last call for the display ******

At the end of Friday 30th, I'll be compiling the list for the Cake Box display, so if you want to enter, e-mail me now - phil.parker@warnersgroup.co.uk

I've agreed with  our exhibition team that there will be a list of names on the door, along with your addresses. Turn up with a box, tell them who you are, and you're in for free. Head to the BRM stand and you can drop off your model. Then enjoy the show.

• Like 1

I'd be surprised if they don't know already - especially since inspection copies of the next BRM (including results) were on the BRM stand at "Warley" last weekend.

Sorry I didn't chat to you Huw - I was chatting with Howard when you appeared, but I suppose by moving on I allowed you to speak to him. :)

Going slightly OT for a mo, can I compliment Howard and the ladies at the BRM stand for their friendliness? I was allowed to flick through a copy to see the results of the Cakebox challenge, and then take the magazine away with me.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

It was good to meet other cakeboxers and the BRM team today and the cake box models seemed to generate a lot of interest from visitors. Perhaps we’ll see some of them having a go when the new challenge begins in January...

Hopefully - although this might depend on exactly what the theme is.

Speaking for myself (well, I can't speak for anybody else), there are some potential themes for which I could probably build several cakebox dioramas - some which I could probably just about build one - and some for which I'd probably never be able to come up with credible ideas (leave alone build anything).

Not surprisingly, I'll reserve judgment until I know what theme(s) entrants are expected to build to. Somehow, I suspect this might also be the case for a number of other people.

For this reason, if there are "cakebox" displays at future shows, I suspect that a number of the "cakeboxes" displayed might turn out to be very generic, or (more likely) not compliant with any official challeng themes. Saying that, I suspect they'd still be effective as "talking points" on the BRM stand - which I suspect to the real reason for these displays.

Here's a further thought (I hope I'm not "speaking out of turn"): Whether or not any "cakeboxes" displayed at shows in future actually comply with challenge themes (personally, I'm not worried), might it perhaps be an idea to also have a printout available showing how they were built / mentioning any major issues found while building them?

I could imagine some people wondering why I've raised this point - but there is madness in my method (possibly even the other way round). When I built my entry for the original CBC, it was really a number of thinly disguised esperiments in using unfamiliar / non-standard materials, some of which didn't go unnoticed.

It wouldn't surprise me if other people were to consider using future challenges in a similar way - if so, I could imagine some show visitors wanting to learn from other people's experiences.

Of course, I could be very much mistaken (it wouldn't be the first time).

Huw.

Hello all, i just wanted to say what a pleasure it was to bring my cake box to the show yesterday. The BRM team were lovely, and it was a real pleasure to meet some of the other cakebox modellers albiet briefly.

The show was amazing and gave me plenty of inspiration for dozens of projects which I suspect will give me something to build in any theme that comes up next year!

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I'm pleased to see the last two posts - I'd imagine the BRM team might also take a similar view.

I reckon your posts neatly sum up all the likely reasons for running these displays.

Huw.

Edited by Huw Griffiths
  • Like 1

I'll second that.

Great to have a chance to show off the cakeboxes

We were impressed with the show - expected to be there for a few hours but easily spent the whole day without seeing most parts more than once

Pete

Yes, a great show with some interesting and inspirational layouts. Good to meet fellow cake box builders in person and see some of the models. Did anyone show a cake box on Sunday?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Yes, a great show with some interesting and inspirational layouts. Good to meet fellow cake box builders in person and see some of the models. Did anyone show a cake box on Sunday?

I think Phil said he and the BRM team had to provide all of the boxes for Sunday

Errm ... yes ... but what, exactly, was in these boxes (and for how long)?

Joking aside, I hope the display was judged a success - and gets repeated at "Ally Pally" (preferably on both days).

I guess we'll find out in due course.

Huw.

Edited by Huw Griffiths

Errm ... yes ... but what, exactly, was in these boxes (and for how long)?

Joking aside, I hope the display was judged a success - and gets repeated at "Ally Pally" (preferably on both days).

I guess we'll find out in due course.

Huw.

I think next year I’m going to see if I can make an edible ‘layout’ and enter it in the challenge. Any that appear at shows at the end of the year may have to be ‘replicas’ though - the original will have been ‘dismantled’. Perhaps a sort of quarry delivering bits of cake to the viewers until it’s all gone? :jester:

• RMweb Gold

I think next year I’m going to see if I can make an edible ‘layout’ and enter it in the challenge. Any that appear at shows at the end of the year may have to be ‘replicas’ though - the original will have been ‘dismantled’. Perhaps a sort of quarry delivering bits of cake to the viewers until it’s all gone? :jester:

Probably better to make them mince pies - I hear that a certain magazine editor loves those things ... :jester: .

Obviously, it's possible that he might have been looking in the wrong shops - or not doing the same thorough quality control tests I try to do at the start of each "season".

Seriously though, there are some very enjoyable mince pies around - even amongst certain supermarkets' "standard" ones. Microwaved and with a generous topping of plain Greek yogurt (instead of custard etc), some of them can be very agreeable indeed. If all else fails, there's always a large glass (or three) of "reserve" Port, to wash them down with ... .

I don't know about anybody else, but I refer to this sort of fare as "health food" - that's right, it makes me feel good.

(By the way, my thoughts about what might have been in the boxes was actually a reference to the Sunday ones.)

Huw.

Edited by Huw Griffiths

• Administrators

Saturday saw an excellent collection of Cake Boxes - thanks to all who brought them along. I'll sort out the photos and video next week so we can do more on the BRM Express newsletter at the end of the month. 

Sunday, I filled the space with my own projects, including some Cake Box models. 

Day2.jpg

• Like 5