Walthers GP9M - any good?

newbryford

• RMweb Premium

I'm looking at buying one of these, so my niece can give it to me as a C*******s present when she returns home in a few weeks.

Can I go wrong with $42 for something that needs a bit of "modelling" to create something looking like #89 in this video?

Cheers,

Mick

I had one about 20 years ago. It ran well (as you'd expect from dual flywheels and all wheel drive) if not quite to Kato standards. However the hood was wider than scale, a bit like the older athearn stuff. Detailing can work wonders if the basic shape is right, but can't fix it being too fat. Depends if that bothers you or you can live with it. Back then it looked reasonable until you put it next to the proto 2000 gp9 model which was far superior. Since then Athearn have released a genesis line gp9 model which is pretty excellent.

They may have changed the mouldings since then of course, but it looks the same. Essentially a body done to 80s standards on a half decent chassis.

• RMweb Gold

I had one about 20 years ago. It ran well (as you'd expect from dual flywheels and all wheel drive) if not quite to Kato standards. However the hood was wider than scale, a bit like the older athearn stuff. Detailing can work wonders if the basic shape is right, but can't fix it being too fat. Depends if that bothers you or you can live with it. Back then it looked reasonable until you put it next to the proto 2000 gp9 model which was far superior. Since then Athearn have released a genesis line gp9 model which is pretty excellent.

They may have changed the mouldings since then of course, but it looks the same. Essentially a body done to 80s standards on a half decent chassis.

I agree. As a “layout loco” it would be adequate, but given the effort and detailing you put into your modelling, I think this would disappoint.

I don't know if they still use them but the initial Train-Line models that I bought, a long time ago (about year 2000) - had brass wheels fitted and must have been the worst wheels I've ever had on a loco! They made Heljan's brass wheels seem positively decent by comparison.

Surely, they must have fitted better wheels by now though? If so, it would make a fair layout engine but that's all, really.

Such models can be found quite cheap!t if you look in the right place, so it's just the question of what kind of loco you want to end up with- I'm also thinking of adding a GP9m to my roster but it's either a choice of detailing a Walthers one, doing a nose chop on a P2k, or repainting a Genesis. All methods are quite time consuming but not needlessly expensive when compared to the cost of a sound chip.

• RMweb Premium

found the chassis but no body ,hunted high and low with no joy, must have been thrown out in my last clean out, sorry Mick.

but did find a lifelike low nose gp18 and Bachmann High hood gp7 i'd forgot about, is either  them any good

Hi Ray,

No worries, thanks for looking.

I have GP7,

On the back of not going for a GP9, I've acquired a B23-7 that will become a BQ23-7- a proper ugly duckling courtesy of a Shapeways cab. In my world at least one has survived.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

found the chassis but no body ,hunted high and low with no joy, must have been thrown out in my last clean out, sorry Mick.

but did find a lifelike low nose gp18 and Bachmann High hood gp7 i'd forgot about, is either  them any good

Funny you should say that Ray. This is an Athearn drive with a Front Range body

post-7218-0-33375900-1542753375_thumb.jpg

Nick

Guest teacupteacup

Hi Ray,

No worries, thanks for looking.

I have GP7,

On the back of not going for a GP9, I've acquired a B23-7 that will become a BQ23-7- a proper ugly duckling courtesy of a Shapeways cab. In my world at least one has survived.

Cheers,

Mick

One of my favourite US locos! Will look forward to your model Mick

• 1 month later...