Slaters Manning Wardle K Class kit instructions

PhilNE

I posted this question in the "Wanted" section but was advised to ask here too.

Does anybody have the instructions for 7L016 Manning Wardle K Class kit that I could buy or download please?

I've emailed Slaters but have had no reply.

Cheers

Phil

• RMweb Premium

I have a F Class 0-4-0ST kit, part-built by someone else...I have the instructions. I looked at it for the first time in a few years tonight as I've ordered a Minerva K class and renewed my interest in MW locos. It's buildable if I can complete a working chassis. I'll get back to it.

Dava

I think I may have either an earlier or later version of the kit because the numbers on the instructions don't match the frets!

Also as you can see by the photo my chassis is different.

The frets say 7L016 copyright 1986.

Are there newer or older instructions?

Phil

post-6827-0-68977600-1543186054_thumb.jpg

I believe there are at least two variations of instructions, but I don't recall the changes make much difference. One problem is that the kit was designed to use a motor/gerarbox not now available, and the instructions suggest that the motor is fitted horizontally in the boiler with the gearbox in the firebox. I have used a Highlevel gearbox on the rear axle with the motor vertically in the firebox in the two I have built. This allows the body to lift off the chassis in one piece, and allows the boiler, smokebox and firebox to be fixed together, making the body much stronger.  

Mine took 20 years to finish!

I replaced the boiler with thin wall brass tube. The motor was wrapped in tape and sits inside the tube. This was the only way to achieve a positive location for the flexible gearbox drive. The tank locates into the cab front and the whole tank/ boiler/ smoke box is secured by a single screw.

I squeezed some lead into the tank before soldering it to the boiler.