4472 - BBC iPlayer

Darius43

• RMweb Gold

A documentary about 4472 taking a special train non stop from Kings Coss to Edinburgh in 1968.

Great shots of the ECML as it was them and done fascinating interviews with the passengers, including a Reverend who wrote stories about a railway.

Well worth downloading.

Cheers

Darius

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A documentary about 4472 taking a special train non stop from Kings Coss to Edinburgh in 1968.

Great shots of the ECML as it was them and done fascinating interviews with the passengers, including a Reverend who wrote stories about a railway.

Well worth downloading.

Cheers

Darius

First broadcast on August 11th 1968, the day of BR's official End of Steam special. I visited Woodham's at Barry that day.

The Reverend is of course Wilbert Awdry of Thomas the Tank Engine fame, and his companion was Cuthbert Hamilton Ellis.

Edited by Andy Kirkham
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I just rewatched it and it was great to see again as I remember seeing it when it was first shown. Sad to see the steam engines being broken up and by looking at the pile, I assume it was filmed at Cashmore’s in Newport. Also shown was the long line at Woodham’s at Barry and if you’d told people back in 1968 that most would steam again and a few would even venture onto the main line, they would have called the men in the white coats.