Ransome and rapier 30 ton crane

• 1 month later...

Hi

I was wondering if anyone could advise me as to if anyone could or does produce transfers for a crane like this

Kind regards Neil

Hi B15nac,

I'm into crane building also, here are my two 30 ton and 75 ton Cowans Sheldon cranes:

post-34584-0-39056500-1547655747_thumb.jpg

post-34584-0-46253100-1547655775_thumb.jpg

post-34584-0-16300300-1547655873_thumb.jpg

Railtec do a sheet for the Cowans Sheldon 75 ton (8254) and Cambridge Custom Transfers do sheets for the Smith Rodley 15 ton crane (BL92) and the Cowans Sheldon 10 ton crane(BL 36). My thoughts are that I could do a bit of mix and match between sheets to make a reasonable job of my cranes.

Gibbo

• Like 2

Excuse the brief diversion but I've had an email come in this eve asking about transfers for the red variant of the crane, which I'm assuming came from an RMWebber off the back of this thread. In order to protect identity I'll just mention the initials of KT, and if this was you then the email address provided bounced back as invalid (not an uncommon event, btw). As it appears directly relevant to the thread I thought it worth mentioning. There could be consideration for a variant of the existing pack below to be made for a crane in red or black livery, though suitable images are very few and far between to tell me enough about whether a straight conversion of the main red / black text to white text (i.e. to suit a crane in red or black) would be much use. If one of John CCT's crane packs mentioned above fits the bill already however, then great.

Here's the existing pack for cranes in yellow, 4mm-8254:

8254-1.jpg

Excuse the brief diversion but I've had an email come in this eve asking about transfers for the red variant of the crane, which I'm assuming came from an RMWebber off the back of this thread. In order to protect identity I'll just mention the initials of KT, and if this was you then the email address provided bounced back as invalid (not an uncommon event, btw). As it appears directly relevant to the thread I thought it worth mentioning. There could be consideration for a variant of the existing pack below to be made for a crane in red or black livery, though suitable images are very few and far between to tell me enough about whether a straight conversion of the main red / black text to white text (i.e. to suit a crane in red or black) would be much use. If one of John CCT's crane packs mentioned above fits the bill already however, then great.

8254-1.jpg

Hi Steve,

Not an email from me but a version of the above for the red version of the 75 ton would be useful for me.

From what I can make out except when delivered new no two cranes were painted or lettered exactly the same anyway. The above sheet would likely provide most of the art work but with revised colouring, eg. Cowans Sheldon in silver, the various numbers and lettering changed from black to white and the load radius charts would be reversed to white letters on a black background. The other major change would be a revision to the earlier number series also in white.

A generic sheet may be more useful with various tonnage and makers marks to interchange as appropriate. I'm currently on with the three cranes above and a fourth, a Cravens 50 ton, is planned for the future.

Thanks for the interest,

Gibbo. 

Thanks Gibbo. It's the detail you mention such as valid running numbers, makers etc which can be the real challenge when it comes to the physical design. It's knowing what to put on the sheet in terms of absolute specific dimensions, colours, quantity, typeface(s) where applicable. To give some idea, the sheet above probably took around 20-25 man hours of research, scouring books/web, collating people's emails, precise measuring, graphic design and multiple iterations of test printing to see the light of day. I think if I were to release something which catered for red/black crane variants - which I'd be willing to do if John CCT doesn't already have something - then it'd need as precise input as possible in terms of what markings should stay, what should change and how. Given the absolute mind boggling enormity of other projects on-the-go it would probably need to be a quick win solution (i.e. simple drop of some elements, simple change of colour of others and no new design work) if anything were to happen. Not that I wouldn't want to put out a pack that catered for 100% of people's needs but I have to be realistic with time, and if I can cater for the majority with a few very simple changes then that would be the best way right now.

Hi Steve,

Not an email from me but a version of the above for the red version of the 75 ton would be useful for me.

From what I can make out except when delivered new no two cranes were painted or lettered exactly the same anyway. The above sheet would likely provide most of the art work but with revised colouring, eg. Cowans Sheldon in silver, the various numbers and lettering changed from black to white and the load radius charts would be reversed to white letters on a black background. The other major change would be a revision to the earlier number series also in white.

A generic sheet may be more useful with various tonnage and makers marks to interchange as appropriate. I'm currently on with the three cranes above and a fourth, a Cravens 50 ton, is planned for the future.

Thanks for the interest,

Gibbo. 

Where has the "silver" come from? I don't remember ever seeing silver lettering anywhere on BR.

Where has the "silver" come from? I don't remember ever seeing silver lettering anywhere on BR.

Hi Bruce,

The legend "Cowans Sheldon" upon the jibs of all of the Br Std cranes both 30 ton and 75 ton, including the hydraulic ones for the Southern region, were of raised aluminium letters when delivered new to BR. Most canes seem to have lost these aluminium letters by the early 1970's and from what I can make out none seem to have survived the conversions to diesel and yellow repaints. All other markings, while in BR ownership, were white for red painted cranes, and straw for those painted black, this includes makers marks such as Ransome-Rapier or Cowans Sheldon. 

Black cranes that received lining were to BR mixed traffic style and red cranes when lined out had a reversed version of the lining with a black line instead of the red line as per locomotives and black cranes.

Gibbo.

Thanks Gibbo. It's the detail you mention such as valid running numbers, makers etc which can be the real challenge when it comes to the physical design. It's knowing what to put on the sheet in terms of absolute specific dimensions, colours, quantity, typeface(s) where applicable. To give some idea, the sheet above probably took around 20-25 man hours of research, scouring books/web, collating people's emails, precise measuring, graphic design and multiple iterations of test printing to see the light of day. I think if I were to release something which catered for red/black crane variants - which I'd be willing to do if John CCT doesn't already have something - then it'd need as precise input as possible in terms of what markings should stay, what should change and how. Given the absolute mind boggling enormity of other projects on-the-go it would probably need to be a quick win solution (i.e. simple drop of some elements, simple change of colour of others and no new design work) if anything were to happen. Not that I wouldn't want to put out a pack that catered for 100% of people's needs but I have to be realistic with time, and if I can cater for the majority with a few very simple changes then that would be the best way right now.

Hi Steve,

I shall send you some ideas via PM for your perusal as soon as I've had a good look at what you have on your sheet, what may adapt and what may be easily created.

Gibbo.

Hi I only joined here yesterday........I am ashamed to say I am KT did I put .co.uk instead of .com probably my oops.

This subject has hijacked the original post  maybe an administrator could put it right.

However I have just purchased a Hornby R197 and intend to rebuild it and have come across some transfers my Modelmaster in white but the only lettering the same as on the Railtec ones are the 'COWANS SHELDON' and 'TO LIFT 75 TONS' for the boom.
Edited by TomCrewe