GWR Palethorpes vans

• RMweb Gold

Hi I'm looking into run a GWR liveried Palethorpes Van on a Devon based layout does anyone have information about where these vans ran to and in what type of train

I've see many photo's of the LMS vans running in passenger trains is it the same for the GWR ? or might have they travelled in fast goods traffic, even to odd photo or two 

would be handy.

Ta Muchly

Edited by 81C

Hi I'm looking into run a GWR liveried Palethorpes Van on a Devon based layout does anyone have information about where these vans ran to and in what type of train

I've see many photo's of the LMS vans running in passenger trains is it the same for the GWR ? or might have they travelled in fast goods traffic, even to odd photo or two 

would be handy.

Ta Muchly

They spent a lot of their time running from Dudley in the West Midlands. Most of the images I have are taken there.

Mike Wiltshire

• RMweb Gold

There was an excellent article about the history, the vans from all eras, and the destinations and routes, in Backtrack about two years ago.

Hi have you any idea what volume to give me half a chance to find a copy??  

• RMweb Gold

I think they have an on-line listing of contents. Try looking 2015-17.

I looked earlier 2014 popped up for an entry in RM 1996 I'll try again tomorrow otherwise rule 1 but I don't like to wing it that often.

One bit of information to add I found "empty to Burnley" on the chassis I will look up the factories to see what info is listed. 

• RMweb Gold

The WR ones ran Dudley to Cardiff. The workings were a bit round about but IIRC generally went as follows.

The full van was worked from the private siding on the South Staffs at Sedgeley Junction to the OWW at Dudley, possibly Stourbridge, and was attached to a Wolverhampton - Worcester train then transferred to a Worcester- Cardiff parcels. The return working the next day went from Cardiff to Shrewsbury on a Crewe train the to Wolverhampton, shunted again onto an OWW train to Dudley then back up the South Staffs to Sedgeley Junction.

Edited by TheSignalEngineer
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The WR ones ran Dudley to Cardiff. The workings were a bit round about but IIRC generally went as follows.

The full van was worked from the private siding on the South Staffs at Sedgeley Junction to the OWW at Dudley, possibly Stourbridge, and was attached to a Wolverhampton - Worcester train then transferred to a Worcester- Cardiff parcels. The return working the next day went from Cardiff to Shrewsbury on a Crewe train the to Wolverhampton, shunted again onto an OWW train to Dudley then back up the South Staffs to Sedgeley Junction.

Hello everyone

There is a photo of W2801W at Worcester Shrub Hill on 8 May 1962 in Peter Tatlow's book, Historic Carriage Drawings, Vol.3, Non-passenger-carrying Coaching Stock.

Brian

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks All

it looks as if a bit of rule 1 will be applied, the new chassis will have the legend "empty to Dudley and there will be ad hoc trip to Plymouth naval dock hung on the back of a

Wolverhampton to Plymouth Express once in a while.

If anyone has any more info' on these wagons please keep posting. 

• RMweb Gold

There was an article in Steam Days for October 2014 about the Palethorpes traffic. Interestingly it has a picture of an LMS one in 1954 which is captioned as being at Muspratt's Siding which I have as being near Flint5. I don't have anything about them going that way, and it's an Aston 2-6-4T on the train so I'm not sure. If it's correct they must have strayed at times, as at least the bogie vans did when the Palethorpes traffic declined and they were used in ordinary parcels traffic. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I looked earlier 2014 popped up for an entry in RM 1996 I'll try again tomorrow otherwise rule 1 but I don't like to wing it that often.

One bit of information to add I found "empty to Burnley" on the chassis I will look up the factories to see what info is listed. 

You have a PM

Eric

I used Tatlow's book extensively when I upgraded my sausage vans.  Excellent and a must have for any library.

BTW, in the thread that I linked to in post #3, a member called 81E said that he had made 3D printed models of the LMS and GWR chassis and these were available.  Wish I'd known that before I did mine.

John

Edited by brossard

• RMweb Gold

I used Tatlow's book extensively when I upgraded my sausage vans.  Excellent and a must have for any library.

BTW, in the thread that I linked to in post #3, a member called 81E said that he had made 3D printed models of the LMS and GWR chassis and these were available.  Wish I'd known that before I did mine.

John

I could be interested in one if it saves time but I have 3D printed wagons and they are a buqqers to get anywhere near a smooth finish on them.

Further research continues with this underframe in mind.

I have just upgraded my sausage van with the 3d printed chassis from 81E - will post some pics when there is some daylight!

It is a vast improvement on the Hornby one! Just need to sort out the centre wheel.

I have just upgraded my sausage van with the 3d printed chassis from 81E - will post some pics when there is some daylight!

It is a vast improvement on the Hornby one! Just need to sort out the centre wheel.

That I would like to see.

Only one suitable place for the Hornby chassis - the bin.

I fooled around with various schemes for the center wheel.  Simplest way IMO:

-  Replace the axle with 2mm brass tube, adjusting the length to get B2B correct.

-  Use a 1mm steel rod inside the tube, and insert in the bearings.

(Credit:  Bill Bedford)

John

That I would like to see.

Only one suitable place for the Hornby chassis - the bin.

I fooled around with various schemes for the center wheel.  Simplest way IMO:

-  Replace the axle with 2mm brass tube, adjusting the length to get B2B correct.

-  Use a 1mm steel rod inside the tube, and insert in the bearings.

(Credit:  Bill Bedford)

John

Hi All,

I’ll second that - the floating brass tube over a rod is an easy and simple fix. I used the existing axle as the centre rod but otherwise the same method. My build of the 6 wheel version of the BEETLE special cattle wagon is on Little Didcot somewhere (link below) if pictures are useful.

All the best,

Castle

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I will do a tempory fix on the center axle as per Larry Goddard's work on the Stove R van if blog if it's still around I can't find it but it's an easy way to secure the axle and allow movement.

post-8647-0-08053400-1542893842_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Here's a shot of my GWR van center axle:

post-5932-0-06750000-1542896660.jpg

You can see how the brass tube with wheels mounted slides on the steel rod.

Here's a wheelset I made for another vehicle:

post-5932-0-57852200-1542896825.jpg

I beveled the ends of the steel rod but that's probably not necessary since it doesn't rotate.

John

• Like 6

As promised earlier, here are a few pics of my sausage van with the printed chassis from 81E.

After a trip to the NEC, I picked up some 2mm brass tube and 1mm steel rod as suggested and have just fitted the centre wheel/axle. A test run on the layout confirms it goes round all curves and through all points.  Many thanks for the tip!

post-148-0-50265700-1543228187_thumb.jpg

post-148-0-78723300-1543228207_thumb.jpg

post-148-0-10757700-1543228227_thumb.jpg

post-148-0-58467800-1543228243_thumb.jpg

post-148-0-42278500-1543228260_thumb.jpg

I used the chassis as it comes.  I my opinion, it is pretty good straight out of the box although I'm sure improvements could be made if desired.

• Like 8

That does look good Jules.  I think I might have replaced the tiebars with brass strip.  Difficult I think to get these straight.  I had the same trouble with white metal cast coach bogies from Comet.

Happy to hear that the van runs well.

John

I did look at the tie bars and think that brass replacement would be better, but not having anything suitable to hand I built 'as is'.

I guess I can easily upgrade in the future should I so desire.