LMS Beyer-Garratt 2-6-0 0-6-2 in N Gauge from Hattons Originals

Hattons Dave

• RMweb Gold

Hattons N Gauge LMS Beyer-Garratt 2-6-0 0-6-2

post-28458-0-91379900-1542621851_thumb.jpg

The Beyer Garratts were designed to haul coal trains from the Midland coalfields to London to stop the use of double-heading and save on fuel, crews and maintenance.
The locos quickly gained popularity due to their strange design of articulation and were widely known about. Very early in the careers of the locos they had their fixed bunkers replaced with rocking ones to help bring coal towards the cab while on the move. They lived out their lives on the coal trains they were designed for and were only withdrawn with the introduction of the Standard 9Fs. Unfortunately none survived the cutters torch and the preservation movement lost an important part of the British Railway scene.  

In 2014, Hattons released in OO what has since been classed by Hornby Magazine as the best steam model they had seen.  To enter into the N gauge market we have decided to replicate this unique design in N gauge. For the N gauge model we will only be producing the rocking bunker version.

post-28458-0-15234900-1542621993.jpg

Model Specifications:
  • 5 pole motor driving bunker end
  • RP25 wheel profile
  • Highly detailed liveries
  • 18 pin digital socket
  • Heavy diecast chassis
  • Highly detailed chassis
  • Fully detailed cab
  • NEM coupling pockets

These models are being produced exclusively by Hattons and are available to pre-order for £199 each at www.hattons.co.uk/Ngarratt

CADs are currently being worked on with delivery scheduled to be in January 2020.

post-28458-0-17599800-1542623888_thumb.jpg

Edited by Hatton's Dave
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Nice

Two Qs. How easy would it to convert to the origonal bunker and what is the minimum radius?

Hi Bomag,

1. At the moment we can't say exactly how easy it would be to convert to original bunker. We'll be in a better position to advise once we've completed the CAD design stage.

2. The loco will be able to negotiate Peco 2nd radius curves.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Dave

Nice

Two Qs. How easy would it to convert to the origonal bunker and what is the minimum radius?

I think that design work may need to be a tad more progressed for these questions to be answered. However, as only the rocking bunker version is being made, i suspect that it may be needed to provide clearance for a motor/circuitboards etc, which would make conversion a tad tricky

EDIT: hattons dave beat me to it...

Edited by Edge

• RMweb Gold

Pretty amazed that they are going for this after quite a few problems with the 00 gauge model. But impressed - especially at that price.

What were the 00 issues, please?

Hi Joseph and scotty,

The few issues we had with the OO Gauge Garratts were due to design and assembly.

These have been identified and remedied on the latest release that is forthcoming from Heljan as a general release.

Our N Gauge model will be a completely new design and will incorporate lessons learned from previous projects as well as being produced in a different factory.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 1

Will be interesting to see the mechanism design on this - with one end powered only. Will traction tyres be necessary?

As a benchmark, kitbuilt Garratts (on pairs of RTR chassis) can usually tow getting on for 100 wagons.

Cheers,
Alan

• RMweb Premium

A nice surprise for a wet Monday, thanks for announcing it now rather than announcing an announcement of an announcement.......etc.

Makes much more sense in this scale, 100 wagons trains no problem.

Also interesting that Heljan are planning to produce more of the OO models.Are Heljan involved this time?

From message 10:

Our N Gauge model will be a completely new design and will incorporate lessons learned from previous projects as well as being produced in a different factory

I'm hoping that the single motorised engine rather than both won't be too much a limitation on its hauling capacity, or at least common chassis parts are used front and rear so it is easier for the more determined of us to motorise both ends. I'm a little hemmed in to considering these being as this isn't a rule 1 model. I'm glad that they were light engine moves at the point where the layout saw them on the odd occasion though, I don't own nearly enough stock to load one up properly and be able to provide other locomotives with work!

• RMweb Premium

I suspect that if it turns out to be a bit of a slippery slug that plan B is to motorize the front unit as well. Plenty of time to sort these issues out before they are released.

Edited by Nile

Stop spending my money before I make it.    I'll have to see what number my OO unit is, to see if I can get a match without renumbering.   Interesting about going the route of single-end power.    Coreless motors couldn't fit in the lead tank?

BR Black 47981 ordered, it would be rude not to!

It would be good if the spec could include a pre installed speaker in a sound chamber so that with the Next 18 socket sound can be a simple "plug and play" job. Big thanks to Hattons for taking the plunge into N and with such an iconic prototype. An ideal "Rule 1" loco, in fact should find a home on any layout!

Roy

• Like 1

Blimey didnt see this one coming, fair play guys! i think this one might be a bit of a push down on the Surrey Hills haha, look forward to seeing the progress though on this one, and potential N gauge items that you might be doing in the future, good luck with it guys :)

All the best

Matt