LMS Beyer-Garratt 2-6-0 0-6-2 in N Gauge from Hattons Originals

Hattons Dave

• RMweb Gold

Extremely pleased to see a retailer dipping their toe into N Gauge at last. Well done Hattons!

Looking forward to seeing this develop.

Tom.

Edited by TomE

• RMweb Gold

The specifications list a NEM tension lock - I assume this is a copy and paste error from the OO Gauge model (if not, I'll need an adaptor wagon...)

Hi Steven,

You are quite correct, the Garratt will come equipped with standard Rapido style couplings. 

Thanks for spotting that, I've amended it now.

Cheers,

Dave

• RMweb Premium

Will it still have n-scale NEM pockets, though?  I'd hate to have to cut a $250 locomotive to fit Micro-Trains.

From the first post:

Model Specifications:
  • 5 pole motor driving bunker end
  • RP25 wheel profile
  • Highly detailed liveries
  • 18 pin digital socket
  • Heavy diecast chassis
  • Highly detailed chassis
  • Fully detailed cab
  • NEM coupling pockets

• RMweb Gold

Hi Steven,

You are quite correct, the Garratt will come equipped with standard Rapido style couplings. 

Thanks for spotting that, I've amended it now.

Cheers,

Dave

Hi Dave.

I was looking over the specifications and have a couple of comments/questions, although I appreciate it’s early days and you may not be able to address/answer all of them yet.

5 pole motor driving bunker end - There was a vast improvement in the reliability & performance of Farish models when they switched to coreless motors and Dapol are following suit with their BoB/West Country. I’ve just replaced the Dapol 5 pole super crap motors in a Schools & 9F with coreless ones courtesy of Tramfabriek, and it has transformed them from siding clutter into usable engines, so I would strongly advocate for this type of motor to be used. With the space available in the bunker I suspect you could even consider including a flywheel!

Heavy diecast chassis / Highly detailed chassis - Although I’m not a 2mm finescale modeller (yet), the Farish chassis design allows for relatively easy conversion for those who are thanks to the removable pickup bushes they now use. Can/will this be something taken into consideration in the design of this model?

On a more general note, will the design allow for the accommodation of a sound chip and easy installation of a speaker for those wishing to add sound?

Cheers,

Tom.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Well this popped up quietly.

I'm sure I'll never have the space to let it roam free this might have to be one of those cases of something you just have to have.

Nice to see another manufacturer dip their toes in N gauge, and I hope it proves to be a winner for Hattons and hopefully other N gauge items to come.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

As s somebody who immediately put myself down for one, and given the projected release date of January 2020, I wonder if anyone from the Hattons Development Team would be able to share any updates/progress reports regarding the Garratt with us? It occurs to me that by the time shipping the finished product is taken into account, realistically we are talking just 8 months to leaving the factory, and even assuming that initial research, CAD and possibly a proof of concept model have already been "ticked off" that still leaves tooling, first EP, full testing, second EP, livery artwork and deco samples to be delivered before production can start - based on the timescales we are usually advised of by manufacturers, that looks pretty ambitious!

Roy

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 06/03/2019 at 09:12, Littlethorpe said:

Slightly off topic, but in case Hattons do have a look at this thread, the icing on the cake would be if Hattons were to commission an N Gauge Class 28 following on from their OO version.

I'd have to have 2 if they did!

On ‎04‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 20:34, Richard Battersby said:

I'd love a bit of an update too, if there is anything to give.

It obviously isn't on the cards currently (judging by the website) but it would be great to see a DCC Sound option available as there is for 00.

I would hope that provision is made for easy DCC sound install, there should be plenty of space in the central assembly, or even at a push in the undriven front chassis/tank unit. 

However since the announcement at Warley over four months ago there has still been the square root of nothing by way of an update which is surprising if delivery is genuinely to be Jan 2020. 

Maybe "sexier" projects like the 0 Gauge A3 and A4 are simply more important to talk about/promote..

Roy

P.S. Originally released spec says Next 18 decoder interface so it would seem logical that there will be some kind of provision for DCC sound.

Edited by Roy L S
Added info
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all,

I can confirm that there will indeed be space for a speaker to be installed if so desired.

We're currently awaiting CADs and will be sure to update people on our website and on here as soon as we're able to.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Dave

• Thanks 3

• 1 month later...

A couple of months have passed and there still doesn't appear to be any news regarding this anywhere that I can find including Facebook and disappointingly it doesn't feature as a "Hattons Project" in their Project Update feature on the back of the May BRM.

I appreciate that Dave said above in April that CADs were awaited and that any news would be posted here and on Facebook and so far hasn't been anything, but I think it a reasonable question to now ask - is this really going to be available in January 2020 as originally announced? It would seems quite an ask to me as we approach the start of June, so if Hattons Dave should read this I would ask if we should expect a revised delivery date?

Roy