LMS Beyer-Garratt 2-6-0 0-6-2 in N Gauge from Hattons Originals

Hattons Dave

• RMweb Premium
On 20/11/2018 at 17:16, Paul80 said:

Are micro trains available to fit NEM pockets? got any links as I cant find any.

Thanks

Hi

None I am aware of. It’s something micro trains said they would look at a few years ago but not seen or heard anything since.

Cheers

Paul

• 3 weeks later...

I wasn't able to go to the GC Event this year unfortunately. I could see in certain pics that have been posted that there was what appeared to be a banner for this project, but I was wondering if anyone had a chance to ask about the N Garratts and their progress (if any)? 

Thanks in anticipation.

Roy

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Afternoon,

We have been busy working on the CADs for the Beyer Garratt in N and can now show them to you all.  

The model is not just a smaller version of the OO loco, it has been re-designed from the ground up.  

We have also listened to feedback from the community and can now confirm the model will feature 2 coreless motors instead of 1.  

Let us know what you think of the CADs.

1.JPG.27c1bac68282465c1d069830837a5976.JPG

2.JPG.935197fb6140e43a12ad26f8e3503c81.JPG

3.JPG.9b420246b8a8a859075f9a9fbb8aae90.JPG

5.JPG.7aaeb54ccc9cb4e18db2c623cf3d16bb.JPG

8.JPG.a618efb2a36ce7d0db3ac9f538ba97eb.JPG

All versions of the N Gauge Beyer-Garratt are still available to pre-order on THIS page of our website.

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

6 hours ago, Hattons Dave said:

Afternoon,

We have been busy working on the CADs for the Beyer Garratt in N and can now show them to you all.  

The model is not just a smaller version of the OO loco, it has been re-designed from the ground up.  

We have also listened to feedback from the community and can now confirm the model will feature 2 coreless motors instead of 1.  

Let us know what you think of the CADs.

1.JPG.27c1bac68282465c1d069830837a5976.JPG

2.JPG.935197fb6140e43a12ad26f8e3503c81.JPG

3.JPG.9b420246b8a8a859075f9a9fbb8aae90.JPG

5.JPG.7aaeb54ccc9cb4e18db2c623cf3d16bb.JPG

8.JPG.a618efb2a36ce7d0db3ac9f538ba97eb.JPG

All versions of the N Gauge Beyer-Garratt are still available to pre-order on THIS page of our website.

Cheers,

Dave

Thanks for Sharing Dave

It looks truly excellent, beautifully detailed and I think electing to drive both chassis units is a sensible choice in order to ensure the loco's haulage capacity isn't compromised and it can pull prototypical trains where space allows.

Would it be correct to think that a January 2020 delivery might be a bit of a stretch now, or do you think that is still achievable?

Regards

Roy

48 minutes ago, Steven B said:

Does the model use a single DCC decoder or does it now need a second for the additional motor?

If I pre-order will I be charged now or at the point the model arrives?

Steven B

Hattons usually charge on shipping. I have an outstanding pre-order for one of these and it states clearly that no payment will be taken until the item is shipped: it also specifies what payment card will be charged.

David

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Steven B said:

Does the model use a single DCC decoder or does it now need a second for the additional motor?

Steven B

I would suspect just one decoder as I would be amazed if the two chassis units are not wired together. Where the chip will go (a Next 18) is another question, hopefully in the boiler unit with provision for a speaker too.

Roy

• RMweb Gold

The CAD images look superb, I really fancy one of these. Can I ask, is the chassis split axle like recent Farish offerings or is it a solid block with pickups. Also, what is the axle diameter.The reason for the question is to try and determine the ease with which these can be converted to 2FS.

Jerry

On 13/01/2019 at 08:18, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

They worked onto the LNER in Yorkshire on iron ore trains, so you are fully justified if that helps.

That would be the two of them I saw on York shed in about the late 50's. The locos (47972 & 47994) were seen on different times but in the same place.

• RMweb Gold
On 20/07/2019 at 20:06, queensquare said:

The CAD images look superb, I really fancy one of these. Can I ask, is the chassis split axle like recent Farish offerings or is it a solid block with pickups. Also, what is the axle diameter.The reason for the question is to try and determine the ease with which these can be converted to 2FS.

Jerry

Hi Jerry,

It will be wiper pickups with a solid chassis.

Regarding the axle diameter, I'll get back to you once I'm back at my desk and get chance to measure for you.

On 17/07/2019 at 13:01, Steven B said:

Steven B

Hi Steven,

We'll be using a single decoder socket wired to control both motors on DCC.

With pre-orders we take payment details which are then held securely and you'll only be charged once the item comes in to stock and is ready to be despatched.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Dave

• RMweb Gold
On 23/07/2019 at 11:29, Hattons Dave said:

Hi Jerry,

It will be wiper pickups with a solid chassis.

Regarding the axle diameter, I'll get back to you once I'm back at my desk and get chance to measure for you.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Dave

Thanks for getting back to me. Thats a shame as it makes it more difficult to convert to 2FS - but not impossible! Will have a good look when they are available,

Jerry

• 2 months later...

Asked about the N Gauge Garratt at The Great Electric Train Show today. It is still at the CAD stage, no information as yet about when it will go to tooling so by logical extension no release date either. 

I did ask how popular the model was proving to be, and the gist of the response was that things are OK, but they had expected it would be doing better. So, I would encourage those who want a state of the art Garratt at a pretty sensible price to get in there and order one.

I also asked if anything else was in the pipeline for N, and as yet apparently there is not, so it seems a lot is resting on the success of this model as far as N goes.

Roy

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Roy L S said:

I also asked if anything else was in the pipeline for N, and as yet apparently there is not, so it seems a lot is resting on the success of this model as far as N goes.

Roy

Thanks for that Roy.

It is a little concerning that potentially, their N Gauge strategy/future is based on the sales of a geographically, and chronologically restricted prototype. I hope it's a success, but I just can't justify one to run through Glasgow North...........

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, Roy L S said:

I did ask how popular the model was proving to be, and the gist of the response was that things are OK, but they had expected it would be doing better. So, I would encourage those who want a state of the art Garratt at a pretty sensible price to get in there and order one.

Thanks for the info Roy. 

Im not hugely surprised that these are not selling fast. It is after all a rather niche prototype with limited geographic coverage and livery options.

If Hatton’s wanted something that was going to fly off the shelves then a new Black 5 or Class 66 would surely have been better options. Everyday staple locomotives that we’re large in number and roam(ed) the country almost from end to end. Yes they already exist in N, but both are beginning to show their age and I for one would welcome new versions to the latest standards. 

It seems as though they were pinning their hopes on the novelty factor for Garratt sales, and I’m not sure that works as well in N as it does for OO?

Tom. 

Yes, I hope so too. I would tend to agree that the 28 would have been a more universally popular choice, and indeed the Class 17 now that the DJM model is unquestionably dead but tooling (albeit needing some tweaks) known to exist and a very sweet running EP seen. Seems so sad that the tooling is unlikely to ever be used.

I would also agree that a state of the art Black Five could not help but be popular, but picking another model of the Bachmann inventory after the 66 in 00 would not have made sense or helped mend any bridges.

What I would ask is to please keep the "generic" coach concept away from N, in my opinion it is a massive regression in 00 and to charge a premium price for it plain insulting given the lack of research and precision needed. There may be a market, opinion appears equally divided, but as I said on the NGF, in my (albeit cynical) view, the next step along this road will be a do it yourself "Lego" model and crayons to create the livery of your choice. 

Roy

If they ever make a second N-Gauge model can I suggest a nice modern well designed 9F, Dapol have not made any for years and the price they go for on eBay shows there is still a demand for them, and a much better designed model would I suspect sell well.

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, Paul80 said:

If they ever make a second N-Gauge model can I suggest a nice modern well designed 9F, Dapol have not made any for years and the price they go for on eBay shows there is still a demand for them, and a much better designed model would I suspect sell well.

A wonder Bachmann haven't stepped in and reclaimed that particular model given it was only dropped when the Dapol one was well on the cards and as you say, none of those made for some years now.

I totally agree, a well engineered modern standard 9F which is sound enabled whoever makes it would certainly be a popular model. I do still have a Dapol one but it is just so "flaky" next to my more modern models - pretty enough but the chassis is truly cheap and nasty, the loco never really did rate it's "platinum" status in terms of running quality or haulage.

Roy