LMS Beyer-Garratt 2-6-0 0-6-2 in N Gauge from Hattons Originals

Hattons Dave

Thanks for the update. I already have two on pre-order, what shall I do with a third one? Come on... :-D

On a different note... are there - aside from the number - any differences between H2-BG-006, H2-BG-007 and H2-BG-008?

Kind Regards,

Rico

11 hours ago, Hattons Dave said:

Hi all,

Thanks for the interest and queries RE the Garratt. As some of you have seen we're featuring the model prominently in our marketing currently.

We're still awaiting additional pre-orders before the project can progress however we are watching the numbers closely on this.

Cheers,

Dave

What numbers are you looking for and how close or not are the current orders 

Might prompt a few more orders if we know you are close to the required number ?

NGM

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/08/2020 at 23:13, NGM said:

What numbers are you looking for and how close or not are the current orders 

Might prompt a few more orders if we know you are close to the required number ?

Yes, that yould be interesting. Might also mean would have to order more than I originally planned (and need), but these are the things you do such an engine...

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, -RF- said:

In the current Railway Modeller the Garratt is listed as a "Forthcoming Release". Should I celebrate or am I reading too much into this?

7 hours ago, Kaput said:

Reading far too much into it. If it actually progresses beyond the CAD stage I'm sure there will be plenty of discussion here and on the Hattons website.

Given the various attitudes the major manufacturers have had towards minor ones (L&M coaches anyone?), I could easily see it being forthcoming with no prior fanfare if (and it is a big if) there has been enough interest shown to be encouraging.    I won't be holding my breath in anticipation - I do have the money available should it unexpectedly turn up too but I appreciate in the challenging economic times we are in, not everyone is actually able to say that any more.  

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Littlethorpe said:

Perhaps if Hattons & Bachmann can kiss & make up then Bachmann could offer the Hattons Garratt as part of the EFE range as this range appears to comprise largely of third-party products.

Hattons probably wouldn't need to - they have a network of retailers who have sold other product they produced and not everyone is going to want N gauge Garratts to sell.

On 13/10/2020 at 21:51, -RF- said:

On a different note, am I the only one who gets an error saying "The resource you are looking for has been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable." when accessing https://www.hattons.co.uk/ngarratt or any other shortened links from hattons?

Working for me - albeit some days later!

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Due to lower sales than projected, we have made the difficult decision to suspend the N gauge Garratt.  All development work will be paused and everyone with a pre-order will be notified.  We will not cancel any pre-orders at this time but we will not be taking any further orders for these products.

Our Genesis project is still continuing at pace and is still due for release in Q2 2021, it is not affected by this review.

Dave

(Insert Luke Skywalker screaming "Noooooooooooo" here)

I do not know why, but yesterday my gut told me that there might be too few preorders. So I listened to my gut and ordered another one - yes, I really want to have this model. Now I have to hope that this wonderful project is only temporarily suspended...

Edited by -RF-
  • Agree 1

Sorry to hear that this project has been shelved.  However I feel it was an overly-ambitious choice for a first foray into N gauge locomotives. Too complicated, too big and not enough geographical appeal to ever really be a good seller.

There are plenty of run-of-the-mill steam prototypes with wide geographical appeal left to be picked-off that would be good sellers.  The LMS or LNER 4-4-0s being a case in point...

If complexity and tooling cost are not seen as a barrier to development for Hattons then the 1st generation DMUs are another area that is still ripe for exploitation in N.

• Agree 3

I'm surprised Hattons didn't try the RHTT as their first foray into N. Release the container flats too. The RHTT just needs locos to finish, so even though it probably wouldn't have been cheap, it was a complete train in a box (like Revolution's nuclear flasks and Caroline) and can bee seen nationwide. Network Rail stuff always seems to sell well too.

Jo

too big and too complex for most N-gauge modellers.

To my mind if Hattons want to dip their toes into the N-gauge market perhaps shooting down the Project Genesis 6-wheelers in (say) brown and teak liveries would be a far cheaper start.

Fewer parts, vastly less tooling costs and a lot of the CAD done.

Just a thought.

Les

• Agree 1

On 27/10/2020 at 07:02, Sithlord75 said:

I see the nay-sayers are out well and truly.  Any wonder why N doesn't get nice things.

Yes, to some extent that's true. To me the issue seems to be the failure to get behind various projects and the running them down. There seems to have been too much (maybe not so much here but certainly on other forums) of I told you so, they should have done Y rather than X. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1