YOB Plasser 12t GPC in OO Gauge from Hattons Originals

Hattons Dave

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, 96701 said:

Dave,

See my post above re the Ekco radius indicator box as fitted to the original cranes. It was a square box fitted to the jib, same size and shape as that fitted to the 75t crane.

image.png.24e2040a7fbf3a2f43e21387314bee61.png

The box on the rhs of the jib on your CAD is the new type which isn;t quite correct for the first build in BR colours.

Also shown better on Paul Bertlett's site, for example https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/plassercrane/h228038D8#h5407e0ae

• RMweb Gold

Hello Phil,

From our research it appears that this version of the equipment was only fitted for a relatively short part of the initial builds lives before being replaced by the current style.
It would also have required an additional tooling for the boom with alternative locating holes which would have pushed the selling price beyond our targeted level.

We therefore decided to go with the more long-lived and wide spread version which can still be seen today.

I hope this helps.

Dave

• RMweb Gold
On 12/02/2020 at 14:15, Hattons Dave said:

Hello Phil,

From our research it appears that this version of the equipment was only fitted for a relatively short part of the initial builds lives before being replaced by the current style.
It would also have required an additional tooling for the boom with alternative locating holes which would have pushed the selling price beyond our targeted level.

We therefore decided to go with the more long-lived and wide spread version which can still be seen today.

I hope this helps.

Dave

It isn't going to make me cancel my pre-order, Dave. Might have to get the knife out, though when it does turn up and I've girded my loins.

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, Butler Henderson said:

Anyone know which ones are preserved and which ones have been scrapped?

Ontrackplant.com is a useful resource, but you may have to log in.

http://www.ontrackplant.com/sightings-of/815

Edited by newbryford
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Just had chance to download the CAD and look at it, having intended to do so the day it was posted! I think its a great idea sharing the CAD.

Whilst I don't know enough about the prototype to comment in that respect, there has been a lot of time gone into that model I think (from somebody who uses 3D CAD almost every day).

I also think if the release of CAD viewer files continues with other projects people with the knowledge on the prototypes can offer feedback better than ever before.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Due to lower sales than projected, we have made the difficult decision to suspend the OO gauge Plasser Crane. All development work will be paused and everyone with a pre-order will be notified. We will not cancel any pre-orders at this time but we will not be taking any further orders for these products.

Our Genesis project is still continuing at pace and is still due for release in Q2 2021, it is not affected by this review.

Dave

• Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

That's a pity: I was hoping to purchase a couple of these.

I note that the reason is that sales are lower than anticipated.  I hadn't pre-ordered through the Hatton's website as I was hoping to be able to pick them up from my local model railway shop, who usually stock some of the Hattons' range.  The problem is that my local model shop doesn't always stock the items that I want and tend not to accept pre-orders for specific models, because I'm not sure they know what they will be supplied with.   Perhaps they need to place minimum order quantities with Hattons.

Could this be an example both actual pre-orders - not, I was going to buy one but didn't want to pre-order (no use saying shame if you didn't pre-order), also odd they didn't make it available through wholesalers for other retailers to sell on.

A great shame as I had a couple on pre-order.  Ah well.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, robf said:

Could this be an example both actual pre-orders - not, I was going to buy one but didn't want to pre-order (no use saying shame if you didn't pre-order), also odd they didn't make it available through wholesalers for other retailers to sell on.

A great shame as I had a couple on pre-order.  Ah well.

Perhaps there was no margin for Hattons to make available through others?

Roy

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, Trains4U said:

I’d have taken a LOT of these, but weren’t available to order via wholesale.

I suspect that this is potentially part of the problem.  When these models were first announced, I asked in my local model shop if I could order a couple and I was told that they didn't know if they'd be able to get them or not, so I'd just have to wait and see if they got them in.  I wasn't sure whether that meant that they needed to place a minimum order for each model (in which case they may just place orders if a few people like myself ask about a model - ie they don't want to order half a dozen just to supply me with two models) or whether it's as you suggest, they couldn't tell whether the models would be made available to them.  If Hattons only make some of their models available through other retailers and some are exclusive to Hattons but they don't make that clear then it doesn't help people like me who would have pre-ordered if I'd known that this was going to be available exclusively through Hattons own website.