YOB Plasser 12t GPC in OO Gauge from Hattons Originals

Hattons Dave

Fascinating choice, and the timing of the announcement.  Bravo Hattons !!!

Slightly too late for my modelling period so I would like you all to clear Hattons' production run of these.  This is so that Hattons Dave can move on to the TRM next. This is a link to Hywel Thomas' scribings, and as you can read, they were all over the network, and hauled by steam and diesel they were true transition era machines.  http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/124509-track-laying-crane-drawings-and-details/ 

• RMweb Gold

I like the look of this: a long lived and interesting non-revenue item. I remember an article by Chris Leigh in a Model Railway Constructor annual around 1983(?) where he scratch built an example based on pictures of a track recovery train. His version was propelled with a SPUD bogie and had a telescoping jib from brass tube.

He also scratch built an adapted Tube wagon for tools and modified a Fruit-D van for crew. It would a good inspiration on how to use this model, a shame I don't have the article anymore!

• RMweb Premium

Another good announcement of track plant to go with the Clockwork Ideas ballast regulator, I’ve got one of the DC Kits ones but sure a second one can find its way to my CCE yard.

The attached photo has given me a nervous twitch though - I was Site Engineer on the platform works during the Skipton Remodelling in the photo and remember arriving one morning to find someone had driven one of said beasties through platform 3 with the job slightly up and whacked the newly refurbished canopy which had to be quickly propped!

Hi Trog,

We've seen a few examples so far of them working together.

An example can be seen on the excellent ontrackplant website: http://www.ontrackplant.com/photo/81512_81527

Cheers,

Dave

Fantastic news.

Well done Hatton's.

I think an earlier version with BR insignia is called for so I will be ordering one shortly.

Now, while we are talking about Civil Engineering stock, what about a ballast tamper in 00 gauge....

Edited by CB Rail

Very interesting this. Just look how complex this model is, so much detail that surely must be added by a workforce, the most complex rtr model made so far? yet the end total is only £69! Makes you wonder how an overblown motorised carriage with windows in the ends could cost 2 1/2 times as much as this. 

• RMweb Premium

Hi Trog,

We've seen a few examples so far of them working together.

An example can be seen on the excellent ontrackplant website: http://www.ontrackplant.com/photo/81512_81527

Cheers,

Dave

Balfours seem to like using them in pairs down on southern area, they are always in and out of Eastleigh.

the most complex rtr model made so far?

I'm sure this will be a super model, although not quite sure it could be categorised as the most complex model so far?  While not to devalue this announcement in any way whatsoever, just looking at the initial spec and I think Bachmann's forthcoming steam crane with it's all-working mechanism (compared to what will be the static jib of this crane) might well already trump this in terms of complexity already - but then the two models are clearly in completely different price brackets to each other, so these differences in spec are inevitable.

To reiterate though, I'm sure Hatton's crane will be incredibly good and I'll be sure to place an order as soon as there is something tangible to evaluate.  :)

Edited by YesTor

• RMweb Premium

Very nice and unexpected.

Especially useful is the table included in the announcement giving the years each model is correct for. Saves doing research which makes it quicker to place an order.

While the model is unpowered, I wonder who is going to be first to make it work?

• Like 1

My kit-built one will still appear on Loftus Road after these arrivistas come into stock. This is a pity in some ways as it will hit the maker of the kits quite hard, unless, and I doubt this very much, these become limited editions.

If Hattons produces the 14t twin bogie version as well, then I'll probably give up buying kits altogether!

Fascinating choice, and the timing of the announcement.  Bravo Hattons !!!

Slightly too late for my modelling period so I would like you all to clear Hattons' production run of these.  This is so that Hattons Dave can move on to the TRM next. This is a link to Hywel Thomas' scribings, and as you can read, they were all over the network, and hauled by steam and diesel they were true transition era machines.  http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/124509-track-laying-crane-drawings-and-details/ 

and what would they use for detailed dimensions?

Paul

I like the look of this: a long lived and interesting non-revenue item. I remember an article by Chris Leigh in a Model Railway Constructor annual around 1983(?) where he scratch built an example based on pictures of a track recovery train. His version was propelled with a SPUD bogie and had a telescoping jib from brass tube.

He also scratch built an adapted Tube wagon for tools and modified a Fruit-D van for crew. It would a good inspiration on how to use this model, a shame I don't have the article anymore!

Leigh, Chris (1982) A modern Engineers' train. Model Railway Constructor Annual 1983 pp 92 - 112, edited by Leigh, Chris.

DRP81509 with DB975411 (https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/departmental975400/e1aa1ca99)

and DB732251  (https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/plassercrane/e5407d374)

Paul

Edited by hmrspaul
  • Like 1

Chris Leigh's crane article is also in Model Rail Summer 1998 issue pages 36 - 43.

He details the Hornby Dublo crane, builds the Airfx 15t diesel crane with a rigid chassis and jib runner wagon,and scratch builds the Plasser 12t with tube open equipment carrier and FruitD mess van.

People were asking about formations. Here's a small relaying job at Strood from 1984. My notes say loco 73113, tamper DX 73249, crane DRP 81607 (but I suspect that's a typo/misreading of 81507, as that seems to have been an SR-based one that I also noted around there that year).

A small but interesting selection of wagons, Seacows, Sturgeon and Salmon I think.

post-6971-0-87986200-1542716365_thumb.jpg

Also I just noticed the red + white blinds on the 73

Edited by eastwestdivide
  • Like 8

People were asking about formations. Here's a small relaying job at Strood from 1984. My notes say loco 73113, tamper DX 73249, crane DRP 81607 (but I suspect that's a typo/misreading of 81507, as that seems to have been an SR-based one that I also noted around there that year).

A small but interesting selection of wagons, Seacows, Sturgeon and Salmon I think.

attachicon.gif84-3-3 relaying track Strood.jpg

Very interesting photo. Thanks for sharing.

Does anyone know which cranes were assigned to the southern region?

Does anyone know which cranes were assigned to the southern region?

I've got "Track Machines", Platform 5 publications, 1984, which lists them all.

The prototypes of the model run from DRP 81503-32 inclusive, built 1977-81, and also allocated DB969000-29 inclusive.

DRP number - build date - allocation

81503 1977 Watford

81504 1978 Nottingham

81505 1978 Leyton

81506 1978 Hitchin

81507 1978 Hither Green

81508 1979 Three Bridges

81509 1979 Reading

81510 1979/80 Three Bridges

81511 1979/80 Woking

81512 1979/80 Newport

81513 1980 Eastleigh

81514 1980 Exeter

81515 1980 Ashford

81516 1980 Swansea

81517 1980 Three Bridges

81518 1980 Crewe

81519 1980 Hither Green

81520 1980 Bristol

81521 1980 Woking

81522 1980 Leyton

81523 1980 Bristol

81524 1980 Watford

81525 1981 Leyton

81526 1981 Birmingham

81527 1981 New Cross Gate

81528 1981 Hitchin

81529 1981 Nottingham

81530 1981 Crewe

81531 1981 Nottingham

81532 1981 Ashford

Edited by eastwestdivide

In the write-up at the start of that section of the Platform 5 book mentioned above, it says "in 1975 a new specification was introduced for a single jib crane to handle switch and crossing renewals, but also capable of being used in a variety of permanent way functions... Plasser supplied 81503-32 whilst Cowans Sheldon supplied 81533-46... When not operational, the crane jib stows within its own length for in-train or self-propelled travel..."

Edited by eastwestdivide

Oh wow !

I remember back in 81 at Bricklayers arms having to disassemble the diesel engine of one of these under the scrutiny of Adrian Shooter (he of Chiltern Railways in a former guise as the Manager of said P&M department) and explain the function of each major piece to him (which he already knew too) .......... the experience left me with nothing but respect for the man.

Excellent news

• Like 3

attachicon.gif84-3-3 relaying track Strood.jpg

Fantastic photo showing not only the crane but the formation of the Civil Engineer's train - very modellable! 

Thanks for sharing with us.

Great that Hattons are producung the crane! Just a slight disappointment that the jib won't be poseable to create scenes such as this.

Another one of these cranes on a relaying job in Cuxton, Kent, early 1984, taken from the M2 Medway viaduct cycle path:

Overview

post-6971-0-86743700-1542745960_thumb.jpg

Close-up of what's on the down line:

loco 33/2 with Grampus and Dace; crane with excavator on a ?Weltrol and 3 air-braked opens (2 OBA 1 SPA, although the codes might have changed for engineers' use)

post-6971-0-04670500-1542745980_thumb.jpg

Close-up (well, as good as it gets) of what's on the up line: 3 ?OCA air-braked opens, 2 Salmon, 1 ?Sturgeon, 1 ?Seacow, loco 33, more Grampus and Dace I think, then an ex-BR ferry van in red/grey?, then possibly an ex-ferry CCT? then it gets really tricky, maybe another excavator on a low wagon and an SR-pattern CCT/PMV???

post-6971-0-86475000-1542746000_thumb.jpg

Any better guesses on the wagons?

• Like 4