Rails announce NER electric autocar in OO

Andy Y

I would be most appreciative if someone can tell me which one worked the Scarborough to Pickering / Forge Valley service. The photographs I have seen do not show the running number.

Thanks in advance.

Alan

According to the LNER Encyclopedia, only one was put on the intended Hartlepool service and one, but it doesn't say which, went to work Scarborough-Filey

However, from June 1905 to 1908, both were apparently on the Scarborough-Filey service.

That information seems entirely consistent with the photograph below, which clearly shows 3170 at Scarborough, and in its 1904-1908 configuration.

If the units ran on the Forge Valley line to Pickering, it would surely have been during the period they were based at Scarborough.  Afterwards they went to Selby to work the Cawood branch.

post-25673-0-59131200-1542715533_thumb.jpg

Edited by Edwardian

Didn't see this coming! What excellent news.

With the move to have niche models that offer something different in an age where costs are rising - this is exactly the kind of model that will prove to be popular and offer people a model of something different.

Theres a number of reasons why this will be wanted:

1 - Pregrouping is growing interest and this will sit nicely into those modelling NER or want something else pregrouping.  

2 - The prototype will be operational soon and more than likely will be brought in for Galas increasing its scope for those wanting a model of something they have seen.

3 - Its exactly the niche model that people will want to have something completely different and run using Rule 1.

Personally speaking, I think that its great that its chosen. While it might be new on the preservation scene and be a niche model, the subject must still matter and its great seeing an NER model receive such attention. It does make me think that if other North Eastern models were made that they would also follow if this is a model that starts people to take interest. Already there has been mention of Clerestory stock and if North Eastern stock was made, which is an excellent and well designed prototype, that these too would gain the interest and niche factor of being different attractive stock. Western stock has been done before, but North Eastern has not. Perhaps this again shows that the region again is able to gain interest, but also get sales of its prototypes from other areas.

For the model, it will be interesting to see if Heljan can match the likes of Realtrack (who are leading even Bachmann in this area), with a low floor in the model to show the seating in the carriage, and if it will also allow easy install of DCC Sound.

Expect my order shortly!

• Like 2

According to the LNER Encyclopedia, only one was put on the intended Hartlepool service and one, but it doesn't say which, went to work Scarborough-Filey

However, from June 1905 to 1908, both were apparently on the Scarborough-Filey service.

That information seems entirely consistent with the photograph below, which clearly shows 3170 at Scarborough, and in its 1904-1908 configuration.

If the units ran on the Forge Valley line to Pickering, it would surely have been during the period they were based at Scarborough.  Afterwards they went to Selby to work the Cawood branch.

Looking at that photograph, Id say that its taken directly from Falsgrave Box, at the end of Scarborough station platform.

Another conundrum similar to the Stirling single tender, will the Autocar model have original bogies or as preserved bogies? I am open to correction but I believe the present bogies are not originals.

Good evening everyone. Just a quick note to say thanks for all the feedback so far on this project. We’re delighted to be working with Rails to deliver something quite different and celebrate a genuine pioneer of ‘modern’ (!) traction.

For the avoidance of doubt, it will have original NER pattern bogies, not the types it has now.

Have a good evening!

Ben

Edited by 61661
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Good to know you are b

Good evening everyone. Just a quick note to say thanks for all the feedback so far on this project. We’re delighted to be working with Rails to deliver something quite different and celebrate a genuine pioneer of ‘modern’ (!) traction.

For the avoidance of doubt, it will have original NER pattern bogies, not the types it has now.

Have a good evening!

Good to know you are bringing your talents back on to home territory.Excellent news.

• Like 1

Wow! This is extremely tempting, and good on Rails for doing something very left-field. Rule #1 applies I think. I think Rails are wrong with their profile of the fleet, I’d read somewhere that they had been cascaded to work branch lines in East Anglia and had lasted until very early nationalisation...

No mention of East Anglia in RCTS 'Greenie' Part 10B, but a very complete description of the NE routes worked by the pair.

Edit: also states that one was scrapped in May 1930 and the other in April 1931, after being out of service for several years, so some 17 years before nationalisation.

Edited by Pint of Adnams
  • Like 1

No mention of East Anglia in RCTS 'Greenie' Part 10B, but a very complete description of the NE routes worked by the pair.

Edit: also states that one was scrapped in May 1930 and the other in April 1931, after being out of service for several years, so some 17 years before nationalisation.

Whoosh! Sorry, I really should’ve added a smilie to my previous post. The reference to East Anglia is my flimsy excuse for justifying one of these beauties... Edited by NXEA!
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Not my area/region of Modelling but looks like it could be a stunning model.

May have to have a small preserved layout as a excuse to buy one.

Well done Rails

Eltel

• Like 1

...... and I'm sure it was trialled by the GWR as precursor to its own railcars - especially in the Hereford area. It'll go well with the steam railmotor from Kernow. Now what livery - to match the steam railmotor or have one of the NER ones? Decisions, decisions.......................

Cheers,

Philip

• Like 1

Three liveries - originally in NER lake, but only for a short time, as per the bottom picture in the OP.  I think you are correct that 3170 retained NER livery until withdrawn.

Probably best described as a petrol electric autocar.

So it's a hybrid then  ;)

If someone will confirm that the LNER version will be lined, I'll put an order in for sure  :jester:  

• RMweb Gold

I have decided to order one but first I have to decide which livery.

Is the brown the same as teak or is it painted brown and what shade?

Thanks

Edited to remove duplicated post.

Edited by Colin_McLeod
  • Like 2

I have decided to order one but first I have to decide which livery.

Is the brown the same as teak or is it painted brown and what shade?

Thanks

Edited to remove duplicated post.

It would have been painted LNER coach brown, not scumbled to resemble teak like the dynamometer car.

And yes, it appears to have been lined (unless that's the glinting of the light!) 

post-25673-0-43468400-1542742379_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I'm afraid we don't know. There's a picture of one in the platform at Scarborough and a picture of one leaving Filey but we can't make out any running numbers and don't have the dates the photos were taken either. No-one's come across the information so far in our research.  

Many thanks to all who responded to my question regarding the Forge Valley unit.

I guess I will have to buy one of each.

Very pleased to hear correct bogies are to be fitted.

2019 and 2020 look like being good years for NER modellers.

Regards

Alan

Personally I'm thrilled that the release will cater for both the NER modeller and the LNER NE Area modeller.

This is also true of the Bachmann E1/J72 and the TMC/Bachmann O/G5, so, yes, a bumper year.

• Like 3

I note that Mr Phil Parker of this parish, with his father, once had the perfect layout upon which to run a brace of "poppy red and ivory" autocars: http://philsworkbench.blogspot.com/2011/08/cawood-station.html

The present owner of such a layout could don his anorak happy in the knowledge that it would soon be amply provided for.  Though an E Class 0-6-0T would be the appropriate contemporary supplementary motive power, the forthcoming Bachmann E1 (J72) would provide a very respectable stand-in, its 1914 build date, I believe, overlapping with the autocars' period of service on the line.

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 2

I'm thinking to myself what if the LNER sold them (or one of them) to the SR in 1931 and placed it in the South West where the LSWR electricfication programme wouldn't reach as an experiment....

I'm rather hoping this will appeal as a freelance subject. Imagine it in later LNER days, perhaps, done up like a Sentinel in green and cream (apparently it's a coincidence it was painted like that when used as accommodation)? 

It was the solution to one light railway, absorbed by the NE, and it would certainly be appropriate for fictional equivalents. I'm scratching my head to decide why the NER might have built 3, but sold one off to the West Norfolk Railway by 1905!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

At least I don't have to use Rule 1 as part of my layout is planned as a Preservation line. The problem is that all three versions are going to have the original bogies which are wrong for present day operations! Oh well back to Rule 1 me thinks! 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

We would have used Fox bogies if we could have, we did originally have two lined up - unfortunately the adaptions we needed to make (including fitting the traction motors) would have caused too many engineering problems for us to view this as a practical option, so we went down an alternative route. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1