Rails announce NER electric autocar in OO

Andy Y

We would have used Fox bogies if we could have, we did originally have two lined up - unfortunately the adaptions we needed to make (including fitting the traction motors) would have caused too many engineering problems for us to view this as a practical option, so we went down an alternative route. 

Personally I liked it best without it's body on - a pair of goggles and some flying leathers and it would looked most splendid hurtling up and down the GCR

• Like 2

It would have been painted LNER coach brown, not scumbled to resemble teak like the dynamometer car.

And yes, it appears to have been lined (unless that's the glinting of the light!)

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_11_2018/post-25673-0-43468400-1542742379.jpg

Hi Edwardian

An interesting picture. The roof at the rear of the autocar look decidedly different - is this a dateable modification?

Being a novice at such things, I would be interested to know details of the coach behind the autocar.

Edited by Lambton Coaler
  • Like 1

I think they could have done a lot more different versions. Firstly it originally only had one luggage/guards door,but not for long. There also seem to be a lot of small changes over the years.

Looking closely at the trailer coach in photos, and it looks like a standard NER coach, not the pushpull coach now preserved. I suspect there were other coaches used,and it was necessary to run round the coach to go in other direction.

• Like 1

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_11_2018/post-25673-0-43468400-1542742379.jpg

Hi Edwardian

An interesting picture. The roof at the rear of the autocar look decidedly different - is this a dateable modification?

Being a novice at such things, I would be interested to know details of the coach behind the autocar.

I suspect the coach is not dissimilar from the preserved example; a standard NER coach of the period converted to a composite driving trailer with port hole windows added for the driver.  

In 1923 a larger engine was fitted, allowing the autocar to pull a trailer.  The large object that looks like an exhaust with a silencer was added to help cooling, as were the cooling pipes along the main roofs, in addition to those on the clerestory roof. 

I think they could have done a lot more different versions. Firstly it originally only had one luggage/guards door,but not for long. There also seem to be a lot of small changes over the years.

In terms of the body there were not a lot more versions.  With injection moulding tooling costs, I doubt it would be viable to produce two different body shells.  The double luggage door version is the sensible option as it represents 3 of the 5 versions; NER Red and Ivory 1908-1923, LNER 1923-withdrawal, and As Preserved.  

That only really leaves two versions, the NER Lake and the early NER red and ivory, with the single door.

The roof detail varies with the engine fitted depending on the cooling arrangements required: (1) Napier = nothing, (2) Wolseley = clerestory vent plus clerestory roof cooling pipes, (3) LNER engine, ditto plus extra cooling on main roofs, (4) As Preserved diesel = nothing again.

Of the above roof details, (2) covers the whole period in red and ivory livery (1904-1923) and includes both door variants. 

EDIT: I do take your point about the coach, though, I have not looked carefully at the picture.

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Re the coach, photo of 3170 hauling a coach and plan of a trailer autocoach below:

post-16840-0-10873700-1543354109_thumb.jpg

post-16840-0-90316600-1543354140_thumb.jpg

We had a suspicion the photo was posed - apart from any issues over which diagram it was, if the coach was a driving trailer, the driving end is in the middle, requiring the autocar to run round the trailer - which rather defeats the whole point of a multiple unit!

The plan is of the type of autocoach we're using. I'm no expert in NER stock but I can see differences in the door & window arrangements between the plan and photo. 

Re differences in body appearance, the Worsley kit (2/3/4/7mm scales) has the 1908-1931 configuration (as Rails) and the 7mm scale Medley/NER Days kit 1903-1908 single door configuration. 

• Like 2

Re the coach, photo of 3170 hauling a coach and plan of a trailer autocoach below:

attachicon.gifAC3 - Poppleton Junc.JPG

attachicon.gifPlan - Autocoach Dia 116 0011.JPG

We had a suspicion the photo was posed - apart from any issues over which diagram it was, if the coach was a driving trailer, the driving end is in the middle, requiring the autocar to run round the trailer - which rather defeats the whole point of a multiple unit!

The plan is of the type of autocoach we're using. I'm no expert in NER stock but I can see differences in the door & window arrangements between the plan and photo. 

Re differences in body appearance, the Worsley kit (2/3/4/7mm scales) has the 1908-1931 configuration (as Rails) and the 7mm scale Medley/NER Days kit 1903-1908 single door configuration. 

It is not an autocoach, it is a composite to diagram 7 The end nearest to the autocar is a luggage compartment.I have just finished building two of these from D&S kits.

• Agree 1

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I saw that the restored autocar is to be the 'centrepiece' at Warley this year, to co-inside with the launch of the model. If by 'launch' they mean available to purchase, that would be a remarkably quick turn around.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 6 months later...

I'm not at Warley, but at a recent meeting at York I was able to handle that sample.  I have to say that it's absolutely stunning.  

It is crisp, solid and very finely detailed.  The lamps are stunning in themselves, the cooling pipes on the clerestory roof are very fine indeed (with daylight underneath), and the interior with the reversible seats (not actually reversible on the model, but with some facing the opposite way to the others) is very well done.  There is a brilliant rendition of the Wolesley engine, which is very clearly visible.

Heljan are to be commended on a really first rate job.

I know I'm biased, but this is a model worth grabbing before it's sold out.  I've certainly put in a pre-order.  

• Like 4

• 5 months later...

Artwork has now been approved for the NER Autocars. Decorated samples are expected soon.....

1475119273_autocarartwork.jpg.e89e7369885ef2e0f1fc4bfb3db94c8b.jpg

We would like to give a special thanks to Stephen Middleton, the 1903 Autocar Trust and the LNER Carriage Association for their assistance with these.

Further updates including the expected delivery dates are expected over the upcoming weeks and will be determined by upcoming sample approval. 

Some early production samples:

RailsRailcar_1_clean_900.jpg.0b240373276bab3cd2921593e984776e.jpg

RailsRailcar_3_clean.jpg.2c9d22e7d233f1842ca334a4ebf1d72d.jpg

Images courtesy of BRM / World of Railways

Read more about it here

• Like 17

I’ve got 3171 on order now to go with my J72 and G5. How are Heljan preparing it for DCC operation- will it have a socket and space for a speaker? With such large windows it is crying out for passengers and a driver to be fitted. Can anyone confirm whether the trailer was painted in NER maroon or the same Carmine and custard of the autocar? From a brand perspective I’d have expected the NER to paint them to match.

• Like 2

Also if Heljan and RoS pull this off I think it won’t just win diesel/ electric model of the year, but herald a new interest in pre-1947 d&e traction and railcars in the same way the Beattie well tank kick-started all the manufacturers to produce more small take engines. All of the big 4 and most of the pre-grouping had them, just with varying degrees of success

Edited by ovbulleid
  • Agree 3

On 23/05/2020 at 12:10, ovbulleid said:

I’ve got 3171 on order now to go with my J72 and G5. How are Heljan preparing it for DCC operation- will it have a socket and space for a speaker? With such large windows it is crying out for passengers and a driver to be fitted. Can anyone confirm whether the trailer was painted in NER maroon or the same Carmine and custard of the autocar? From a brand perspective I’d have expected the NER to paint them to match.

There was no trailer in NER days.  Neither of the engines fitted were powerful enough.  The LNER up-engined it again and it could then manage a clerestory trailer. 

NER livery + trailer is a preservation configuration. The NER versions have subtle differences from the preserved condition, however.

1877410693_AlertState01-Copy(7)-Copy.jpg.02b2398177665bd625b997f8393e4644.jpg

• Like 2

Question for Rails ,

The LNER version should have a very prominent large exhaust silencer on the roof . The LNER period photo Rails are using for publicity as shown above towing a Coach, clearly shows it fitted . The silencer was fitted in 1923 hence for all of the  LNER period , therefore the LNER version must have the silencer fitted.

None of the current models again above , have the silencer/exhaust fitted. Hopefully they are all the NER version?. The coloured drawings above only show the other side of the LNER version.

I also have the LNER version on order, hopefully the equal or better than the Dyno Car.

Thanks for any info

Edited by micklner
more info obtained.
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 26/05/2020 at 12:29, micklner said:

Question for Rails ,

The LNER version should have a very prominent large exhaust silencer on the roof . The LNER period photo Rails are using for publicity as shown above towing a Coach, clearly shows it fitted . The silencer was fitted in 1923 hence for all of the  LNER period , therefore the LNER version must have the silencer fitted.

None of the current models again above , have the silencer/exhaust fitted. Hopefully they are all the NER version?. The coloured drawings above only show the other side of the LNER version.

I also have the LNER version on order, hopefully the equal or better than the Dyno Car.

Thanks for any info

Still no response re the exhaust set up on the LNER version ??

• Like 1