Rails announce NER electric autocar in OO

Andy Y

It looks gorgeous. It is one of those models where I want one, but have absolutely no use for one. Love that early NER livery, and the model looks so full of character.

I really hope it is a huge success for Rails. The models and liveries look superb.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

On ‎05‎/‎08‎/‎2020 at 16:45, Oliver Rails said:

...Please note this is the first sample and various alterations and corrections will be made. Please also note the power wheels on the final production models will be black electro-plated and not bare metal as shown.

Never mind adding the exhaust or whatever the cylindrical component on the roof was, there's a far simpler improvement available to add a little more polish. Just don't fit the tension locks! And if screw link couplers are to be provided, fit those in the modelled position for the drawhook.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 26/05/2020 at 12:29, micklner said:

Question for Rails ,

The LNER version should have a very prominent large exhaust silencer on the roof . The LNER period photo Rails are using for publicity as shown above towing a Coach, clearly shows it fitted . The silencer was fitted in 1923 hence for all of the  LNER period , therefore the LNER version must have the silencer fitted.

None of the current models again above , have the silencer/exhaust fitted. Hopefully they are all the NER version?. The coloured drawings above only show the other side of the LNER version.

I also have the LNER version on order, hopefully the equal or better than the Dyno Car.

Thanks for any info

I take your point, however, a constraint here is the lack of a drawing.  I'm not aware that one exists that would allow the feature to be reproduced with any reasonable degree of accuracy, given that everything else is based upon drawings and/or measurements of the real thing.  Of course, if you have access to a drawing, I'm sure the design team would be delighted to hear from you. 

Conferring ...

29412846_DSCN6756-Copy.JPG.008b52a1e443c7922d7006ea996fa412.JPG

Mr Jones in action ....

1712663521_DSCN6786-Copy.JPG.45b6885edc0c7346714c14dc141a6c16.JPG

• Like 5

They have even used a photo of the exhaust in the advertising. Its not that hard to work out the size !!.  Its very hard to ignore as well, especially at £200 a time.

image.png.fe392565b7e59bde2eb4602552ec7324.png

image.png.60d1ccfadc61f78d6c8165a514d3c5a2.png

Note the lining as well , or the shades of the light?, perhaps more shades of the Dyno car saga coming  !!??

Plus additional Radiators on the roof.

Edited by micklner
  • Like 2
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold

If the sponsor is uneasy producing the silencer etc from photographs rather than a drawing or measurements, my suggestion is that one be produced anyway but supplied in the "detailling pack".  That way any rivet counter who is unhappy with tbe exact dimensions of the silencer can be even more inaccurate by leaving it out alltogether.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, micklner said:

They have even used a photo of the exhaust in the advertising. Its not that hard to work out the size !!.  Its very hard to ignore as well, especially at £200 a time.

image.png.fe392565b7e59bde2eb4602552ec7324.png

image.png.60d1ccfadc61f78d6c8165a514d3c5a2.png

Note the lining as well , or the shades of the light?, perhaps more shades of the Dyno car saga coming  !!??

Plus additional Radiators on the roof.

So an after market opportunity, perhaps?

For those of us without the skills, I have found suppliers very willing to design odd bits and bobs, even whole kits, at my suggestion or request. Rather than expect the manufacturer to take a guess at poorly documented features, such a proactive approach for those who really want this configuration would be an alternative. 

Personally I would have preferred the single-door NER version, but with tooling costs what they are, it is sadly not possible to cater for everyone.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Colin_McLeod said:

If the sponsor is uneasy producing the silencer etc from photographs rather than a drawing or measurements, my suggestion is that one be produced anyway but supplied in the "detailling pack".  That way any rivet counter who is unhappy with tbe exact dimensions of the silencer can be even more inaccurate by leaving it out alltogether.

There's no guarantee that any drawings are 100% accurate anyway. Modifications could have been made without consulting the drawing office.

• Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
On 31/08/2020 at 17:03, Edwardian said:

So an after market opportunity, perhaps

Absolutely.  I would have thought that this would be right up Niu Models’ street if someone could supply them with a drawing?

Sometimes I do wonder if we modellers have forgotten the “half a loaf” principle.  I haven’t noticed many other manufacturers queuing up to produce rtr NER petrol-electric railcars.  So if the price of getting this one is a missing exhaust detail part then bring it on. (But please also make a 2mm/N version!!)

Richard

(Who has two on order and will then need to build a layout to justify them as his existing plan is the wrong scale)

• Like 2

But is this aimed at modellers ? I doubt if Rails have that intention,  it is it simply sold as r.t.r . item.

The information re any missing parts ( if ? , there are any, Rails still have'nt answered the question)  is readily available from the photos , the dimensions of the vehicle are known, and the exhaust and radiators are easily scaleable from the photographs in existence.

No idea why excuses for missing parts are being made at the present time , and the solution(s)  if any are needed will be after the release.

Hopefully not.

Edited by micklner
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

I will have a look when I have an hour or so but the contemporary photos we have are all on the web-site. Some are available in higher res if required. It is not certain but it looks probable that the third engine (1923-31) came from a WWI tank, specifically a Mark V** variant of the Mark V tanks, with a Ricardo engine bored out to give 225hp. Are there any non-railway photos of such machinery? Whether on the Interweb or in military books? Or does anyone live near Bovington, they might have some material? (Researcher is one of the vacancies we're advertising! I'm afraid I'm a bit tied up with other things at the moment). 

Just a quick mention of one of our products, a DVD about the restoration of the autocar. Rails have kindly agreed to stock this and it's now listed on their web-site and available. https://railsofsheffield.com/products/41141/unknown-autocar_dvd-any-scale-a-pioneer-restored-the-story-of-the-north-eastern-railway-1903-electric-autocar-dvd  

Edited by The White Rabbit
Poor Internet connection
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi,  

We were hoping production livery samples would arrive before CNY, however unfortunately they did not arrive prior to Chinese New Year. 

Now CNY is over we expect Heljan UK to receive the samples really soon.

Fingers crossed if all is well with the samples, we expect full product delivery of the Autocar to be late April.

Obviously Covid and Brexit continue to cause some delays so although this is not a guarantee we are very hopeful for this.

Thanks

Oliver

• Like 4
  • Thanks 7
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
14 hours ago, mattkimster said:

Very eagerly looking forward to one of these - just waiting for the LNER sample to decide which livery to plump for!

I may have missed something, but does anyone know for sure if the model will have lights?

According to the Rails website, it will have interior lighting.

https://railsofsheffield.com/products/37126/Heljan-rl3172-oo-gauge-north-eastern-railway-electric-autocar-no-3171-red-cream-1904-30-

• Like 1