Nottingham Model Railway Society Spring Show 2019

doctor quinn

Plans are well advanced for our Spring Show 2019 which replaces the Nottingham East Midlands Exhibition at Harvey Hadden
It will take place on Saturday March 16th and Sunday March 17th at Highbank Community Centre, Farnborough Road, Clifton, Nottingham. NG11 9DG which is a short walk from the Holy Trinity NET tram stop on Farnborough Road

Journey planner - www.thetram.net/route-planner

Check back here for more details including a list of layouts and traders

Poster 2019 v1.5.pdf

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hi Everyone and a Happy New Year, here are the full details for the Nottingham Spring Show

Nottingham MRS Spring Show Diary Details

Saturday & Sunday 16 & 17 March 2019

Organiser: Nottingham MRS

Venue: Highbank Community Centre, Farnborough Road, Clifton, Nottingham NG11 9DG.

Open:

Sat 10:00 – 17:00

Sun 10:00 – 16:00

Admission: adults £4, children £1

Venue amenities: refreshments, level access throughout,

How to get there

Public transport - Nottingham Express Tram (NET) to Holy Trinity tram stop

By Car – M1 Jct. 24, use A453 to Clifton. There is some on-street parking or use the free parking at Clifton NET Park and Ride which signed from the A453 (Satnav NG11 8BF). NET offers a £1 Clifton Shopper ticket for the tram from here to the venue tram stop.

Features: 6 layouts including debut of club Trent Lane Junction layout, trade stands, hands on demonstration.

Layouts

Trent Lane Junction - Nottingham MRS– 00 Scale - Based on the complex of lines to the east of Nottingham in the 1960’s where the GNR line to Grantham and the MR line to Lincoln criss-crossed each other and is on two levels. We will be running it with steam and green diesels.

Springfield – Nottingham MRS – HO – Our “Anytown USA” urban switching layout males a return featuring 1980’s and 1990’s CP Rail and Maine Central trains.

Kozel Cement – Dave Paylor – HO Scale. Featuring Czech freight operations in the 1990’s on a freight-only branch to a cement works [CM March 2013] https://www.facebook.com/kozelpart2/

Heath Green – Nick Palette - 00 Scale – Depicting a third-rail electrified branch line on the Southern Region of BR in the 1960’s

Elmfield – Dave Westwood – N scale – Early 1960’s BR in the Black Country

Mount Woodville Works - Robert Milliken – P4. Features industrial railway operations at a salt glazed sanitary ware works in the mid-twentieth century by Rob Milliken https://robmilliken.co.uk/mount-woodville-works/

Demonstrations

“Getting Started on Scenery” – the Trent lane Junction team show how they recreated part of Nottingham in miniature

Modelling in P4 society/demo

Creating Model Buildings and the Miniature Landscape” – David Wright from Dovedale Models will be showing his techniques for modelling the natural and built environment using readily available materials https://www.dovedalemodels.co.uk/

Trade stands

Anoraks Anonymous https://anoraksanonymous.weebly.com/

TTC diecast https://www.ttcdiecast.com/

Booklaw https://www.booklaw.co.uk/shop/index.php

A1 Models https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/a1models-doncaster?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

Sherwood Models http://www.sherwoodmodels.co.uk/prestashop/

Model Power Depot

Further information: www.nottingham-modelrailway.org.uk

or find us on Facebook www.facebook.com/NottinghamMRS

All the best

Nick

Edited by doctor quinn

I saw Trent Lane Junction from a little distance at an Open Day the Club held a couple of years ago. Still incomplete then apparently, despite what must have been seveal years in development even then, but looking good. This area with its complex of interlacing lines from four companies was the main train spotting haunt of my youth, and I can’t wait to see it running at long last!

• 1 month later...

Just making final arrangements for our new Spring show. I have heard one or two people express surprise that we are not running the large Nottingham East Midlands show at Harvey Hadden Stadium this year. For various reasons, explained earlier, we are no longer able to stage that show. We have instead chosen to hold a small show featuring just a few layouts, trade stands and demos. 

The venue is obviously a lot smaller than the old one, so layouts have had to be scaled back. However, we have aimed to keep the same quality that we were renowned for previously. Our star layout this year is our new Trent Lane Junction layout. We have shown individual baseboards from this at previous shows and I know that a lot of local people are interested to see it in its entirety. It will be at the show, with trains running on three levels. The Great Northern lines will be running with a reduced service as the fiddle yard is not yet complete for that line, but the full Midland line service should be running and trains will also be running on the Nottingham Suburban line, even though that closed before the period modelled.

A popular feature that we introduced last year was toe 'Getting Started' feature, aimed at getting new modellers involved in the hobby. This was very popular so we are repeating the theme this year, but on a smaller scale. We will have demonstrations where you can have a go at aspects of modelling and our US outline shunting layout will be available for visitors to operate. Why not take a 'shunting challenge' to spot box cars in the right order in the right sidings in the minimum number of moves!

We look forward to welcoming visitors to the show.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...

Our new smartphone-friendly exhibition guide is now available on our club website 

http://www.nottingham-modelrailway.org.uk/showguide.pdf

It is designed to be viewed on a smart phone and is not available in print. This enables us to include colour pictures and material that is not possible in print, such as website links.

We are devolping a hard copy version for distribution on the day

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

All the best for the Spring Show, I won't be able to attend as I'll be up to my eyes in electrics at home as we redevelop the hallway and downstairs bedroom!

If the attendance at this year's Mansfield Show is anything to go by you will do well :)

Edited by RedgateModels
  • Thanks 1

Thanks to everyone who came to the show today. It was a great first day with a new show in a new venue. Visitors seemed to have enjoyed themselves and the new Trent Lane Junction layout was popular. I had an unfortunate accident with a train of kit built cattle wagons, so that is my modelling project for the next few weeks, repairing them! Lots of people photographed and video'd the  layout, so lets hope they post some of those shots here.

We do it all again tomorrow, so still time to visit.

• Friendly/supportive 1

Was there for a couple of hours this morning and enjoyed what is a very good, local club show. Ignore what went before, its not the same and doesn't try to be, but it has all the ingredients a club exhibition should have, trade, layouts and of course, food! The catering set standards the Harvey Hadden could only dream of.

The layout selection was inspired and maintained the standards of Nottingham shows dating back to the Victoria Baths days, all the main scales bar O represented this year. Trent Lane was the main reason for the the visit and it didn't disappoint. While it's still got a way to go, its an impressive piece of work which will get even better. I've always had an interest in the GN lines around Nottingham and this has captured the complex arrangement of lines superbly. Keep up the good work boys, I'll look forward to seeing it finished in a year, maybe two....

Anyone in striking distance, it's well worth making the effort of trip tomorrow.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium

I'll visit Sunday. No 0 gauge this year, maybe a small one next time? but it's en route to the EMGOG meeting in Nuthall. Hope the weather behaves.

Dava

“Small, but perfectly formed”, as the saying goes. 

Only disappointment was Mount Woodville Works, which I viewed four times between mid-morning and lunchtime, and despite the exquisite scenic work, nothing moved - at all. 

Otherwise. a very high quality relaunch, and Trent Lane Junction operating at last was the icing on the cake. I hope you will see it as a success and feel confident enough to expand a little next year. 

18 hours ago, Willie Whizz said:

“Small, but perfectly formed”, as the saying goes. 

Only disappointment was Mount Woodville Works, which I viewed four times between mid-morning and lunchtime, and despite the exquisite scenic work, nothing moved - at all. 

Otherwise. a very high quality relaunch, and Trent Lane Junction operating at last was the icing on the cake. I hope you will see it as a success and feel confident enough to expand a little next year. 

Having been to the Nottingham show at Harvey Haddon for the first time a couple of years ago I was in two minds whether to go or not this year, but glad I did- an enjoyable couple of hours and a nice selection of layouts for a small show. I was a bit luckier with Mount Woodville, viewed it 4 times I think and caught the little Ruston(?) shuffling a wagon about on 3 of the 4 times. First time I'd seen Trent Lane Junction, and looking forward to seeing it again when it's completed

All packed up and back home. Thank you to everyone who helped make our first Spring Show a success, everyone seemed to have enjoyed themselves and we were pleased with the results from the show. There were some things we will do slightly differently next year, but we intend to make this an annual event. Now we know how the show works in this venue, we will squeeze in a couple of extra layouts next time, and hopefully Mount Tabor won't double book himself and will rejoin us!

I didn't manage to grab many pictures, but did spot a couple of celebrity visitors to Trent Lane Junction - perhaps the problem we had with some fiddle yard points was that they were Frozen!

20190317_135358.jpg

20190317_141159.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1