Southern Region EMU Sound Clips

• RMweb Gold

This might be deemed more appropriate in the Prototype section but its raison d'être is ultimately for the purposes of modelling.

Would any member know if there is a source of audio clips available which include sounds of SR multiple units from the 1960s or thereabouts. The stock in question would be preferably but not exclusively, "pre-EP".

The sounds would ideally include:

• Brake squeal - on stopping

• Air exhausting - brake release and/or brake valve isolating cock operation

• Compressor

• Motor generator - express stock

• Traction motor whine - on starting

• Ambient station sounds eg doors slamming, guards' whistles, station announcements etc

As a long shot, perhaps the sounds may have been inadvertently captured whilst awaiting the passage of a steam working.

I realise this is somewhat of a tall order as "sparks" were hardly ever at the top of many enthusiasts' priorities; nevertheless, liked or not, they were an integral part in many locations of the Southern Region steam era which many of us attempt to rekindle.

Like many of the older guys, I can only rue the fact that sometimes the everyday railway scene was taken for granted in its day, never visualising its importance to us much later.

Many thanks

• Like 2

Possibly only marginally helpful, but there was a VHS video called Southern Suburban Cab Ride.  This was five different journeys by emu filmed from the cab, including all the sounds along the way.  My copy says it's CV4 but no indication of who produced it.  I've no idea if it was transferred to DVD at some stage but a search for the title on the internet may produce something.

Tony Comber

Tall order!

The compressor sound of the old stock was particularly distinctive, and I think the last trains where you could hear it were the LT surface stock that have been withdrawn over the past few years. COR and BIL always seemed to have particularly loud compressors.

The other sound was the distinctive ‘clonk’, as the motor bogie set-off fractionally before the car body, and the load was taken-up through traction links(I think). Also, when the brakes released there was always a good deal of sighing and groaning as the rodding ‘relaxed’. Then, underway, terrible crashing noises as the suspension hit the bump stops as the train rattled through point-work.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 1

... The compressor sound of the old stock was particularly distinctive...

I was transported back to the SR in the 1980s when I rode on a Turin tram a couple of summers back. The older trams have just that sound. It's a long way to go to get a sound sample though.