Accurascale Class 55 Deltic - 4mm scale

We’re doing 22 versions including the NRM / DPS / Rail’s editions in this batch!

Will you ever need to do another batch? You are really spoiling us. Let me see which one... DCC sound for sure, must be a 70s early 80s, hmmm that still leaves me with about 10... Need a lie down and choose later.

Someone who wants all 22 members of the class will be bankrupt by the end of 2019 lol. I don't think we have ever seen so many versions of one class released at once. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Will you ever need to do another batch? You are really spoiling us. Let me see which one... DCC sound for sure, must be a 70s early 80s, hmmm that still leaves me with about 10... Need a lie down and choose later.

Someone who wants all 22 members of the class will be bankrupt by the end of 2019 lol. I don't think we have ever seen so many versions of one class released at once.

Profligate lust for one....or several...of these will soon surpass adultery as legitimate cause for divorce it seems.

• RMweb Gold

How on earth did you appear to save £30 a model?

I think that's the invoice and he's paid the £30 each as a deposit.

Correct. There good guys but there not that good. ;)

The 3D print today is really nice, the bonnet shape viewed from above is really good, spot on.

Theres also interior engine room detail viewable through the windows.

I chewed Patricks ear and made Fran watch a 21 minute video of a loco crawling 1.5cm per minute to ensure he knows its got to have a very good motor and gear set (poor guy.. no i mean really.. poorguy.. imagine bloke waddles up, dumps his rucsac and pulls out a youtube video over 3g on a mobile of a loco moving 1 sleeper every few seconds.. We all know models can run fast, but super slow control ...

https://youtu.be/kijVeTI8hR4

Ive been reassured the angled teeth planned will lead to a really tight high torque gear box.

;). Google.. “helical gear”.

Some detail is immediately apparent, horn positions, single vs double screen wipers, sand boxes.. this has been a really thorough investigation.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 4

I don't think we have ever seen so many versions of one class released at once. 

See this thread: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/133954-class-66-in-oo-gauge-new-announcement/

"In the first delivery, there will be a total of thirty variations to choose from," although this was subsequently increased to 420 after lobbying from some quarters.

And here it is, order number 1.. for 2... at 10.39am.

D9010 Green FYE but with BR double arrows.. one we’ve not had before, and Ballymoss, Finsbury Park white cabs. I will probably follow on with 55005.

attachicon.gifDBE11E2C-DCB8-4982-8E8A-0D22FCEFF4F5.jpeg

Mind you I did make an educated guess back in August, if you take the first two letters of the first loco, followed by the first letter after the aprostophe for each loco In the list below, in the same order what word do you get ?

:)

Is that the full price they are selling them for?, if it is it a fantastic price for what looks like a an amazing model, Makes the Bachmann one look over priced for what is a poor model of the class,

• RMweb Gold

Does Accuascale see metal helical gear boxes and Tungsten chassis being the new standard for 00 scale locos ?

(The demo of the slow moving diesel is VERY impressive.)

We do. Models should pull scale trains at scale speeds.

• Like 6

Locomotion were still flogging Bachmann Deltics at £200 a pop today at Warley

Let's help them by NOT speading around the word how wonderful the new model is until they shift them. BTW how many did they have left? ..... Dam, ok, they will have to do a box special set containing one Accurscale Deltic and for an extra £1, a Bachmann one thrown in  (litterally). 

536834130_ScreenShot2018-11-24at12_02_14

1771022296_ScreenShot2018-11-24at12_01_3

A couple of shots of our test model in situ (apologies for the Warley lighting!)

This model has a fantastic spec and looks great every way but I am sorry to say I noticed an odd feature in the second photo of the test model which also appeared again with all of the online side profile colour schemes (The 3D renderings seem to look ok). This is not a complaint, just an observation which I'm sure you already picked up. The axles of the wheels don't line up with the axle boxes. In fact they look to be a good 2 to 3mm off centre below them.

Aside that, she does indeed look fantastic and I'm confident the definitive deltic will not be delivered riding 2-3mm higher than normal above rail height.

Edited by JSpencer

This model has a fantastic spec and looks great every way but I am sorry to say I noticed an odd feature in the second photo of the test model which also appeared again with all of the online side profile colour schemes. This is not a complaint, just an observation which I'm sure you already picked up. The axles of the wheels don't line up with the axle boxes. In fact they look to be a good 2 to 3mm off centre below them.

I'd suspect a big part of it would be that it's a test print of parts, but it could also be the "Deltic problem" rearing it's head again and the expectation that it will go around R2 curves. At some point in the process, there has to be a compromise on the bogies and wheels with a RTR Deltic.

This model has a fantastic spec and looks great every way but I am sorry to say I noticed an odd feature in the second photo of the test model which also appeared again with all of the online side profile colour schemes. This is not a complaint, just an observation which I'm sure you already picked up. The axles of the wheels don't line up with the axle boxes. In fact they look to be a good 2 to 3mm off centre below them.

Aside that, she does indeed look fantastic and I'm confident the definitive deltic will not be delivered riding 2-3mm higher than normal above rail height.

That was my first thought on seeing the drawing on Accurascale's website - that the axleboxes don't line up with the wheel centres, and by a considerable, very noticeable margin as well.

Hopefully, they'll correct this. I'd really like to end up being wow'ed by this model, as the variants being modelled would enable me to complete my deltic fleet, and replace my Lima Porterbrook Purple Peril (aka 9016) with an altogether more modern, up to date model. Even the sound premium of £90 doesn't appear unreasonable. Just please get the wheel / axlebox relationship right...….

• RMweb Gold

Hi everyone,

Firstly, thank you for all your wonderful feedback today, both here and elsewhere online as well as at the show. It’s been one very busy day, and thanks to everyone who dropped by the stand for the launch and a chat, and especially for your orders and feedback. Also, thanks to Mr Bullock for our treats from his good lady, and the ladies of Model Rail for the coffee to keep us going!

As in sure you can all appreciate, this is a 3D test print as Stephen explained earlier, and it has also been cobbled together with temporary wheels etc. They can’t be 3D printed convincingly after all!

Great to see so many RMWebbers today too and we hope to meet many more of you tomorrow!

Cheers,

Fran

• Like 5

I'd suspect a big part of it would be that it's a test print of parts, but it could also be the "Deltic problem" rearing it's head again and the expectation that it will go around R2 curves. At some point in the process, there has to be a compromise on the bogies and wheels with a RTR Deltic.

The best solution so far was Heljan's DP2. Bachmann made their 55 sit too high on the bogies, with DP1, they gave it smaller wheels. Heljan gave it scale wheels and height but the bogies are too narrow. I don't believe for one second these professionel guys are going to opt for mis-algned axles. I'm sure Heljans solution with correct width bogies and fine scale wheels will work fine here.

Correct. There good guys but there not that good. ;)

The 3D print today is really nice, the bonnet shape viewed from above is really good, spot on.

Theres also interior engine room detail viewable through the windows.

I chewed Patricks ear and made Fran watch a 21 minute video of a loco crawling 1.5cm per minute to ensure he knows its got to have a very good motor and gear set (poor guy.. no i mean really.. poorguy.. imagine bloke waddles up, dumps his rucsac and pulls out a youtube video over 3g on a mobile of a loco moving 1 sleeper every few seconds.. We all know models can run fast, but super slow control ...

Ive been reassured the angled teeth planned will lead to a really tight high torque gear box.

;). Google.. “helical gear”.

Some detail is immediately apparent, horn positions, single vs double screen wipers, sand boxes.. this has been a really thorough investigation.

There are issues with the face of the loco. Several of the curves are not right, the windscreen V shape doesnt' look sharp enough and the nose grille looks too heavy and seems to be too low compared to the cab side windows. I *REALLY* want this to be right, so I hope they can tidy these things up. They are talking to Brian from Shawplan, so I am hopeful these issue will be corrected.

Now, if they could just talk to PenBits and make passive provision for springing in the chassis as well...!

• RMweb Gold

There are issues with the face of the loco. Several of the curves are not right, the windscreen V shape doesnt' look sharp enough and the nose grille looks too heavy and seems to be too low compared to the cab side windows. I *REALLY* want this to be right, so I hope they can tidy these things up. They are talking to Brian from Shawplan, so I am hopeful these issue will be corrected.

Now, if they could just talk to PenBits and make passive provision for springing in the chassis as well...!

Hi Meld,

Thanks for your feedback, we are still tweaking cad and can assure you that this will be an accurate and definitive Deltic. We are confident that the shape will be correct and as you say have been in conversation with several serious authorities on the real Deltics such as Brian. He has been very helpful and there have been several tweaks made since the print as we had a lead time to get it done for the show. We are fully confident it will look right, ride right, run right and be the excellent model of these babies that we all crave.

Cheers

Fran

• Like 2

Hi Meld,

Thanks for your feedback, we are still tweaking cad and can assure you that this will be an accurate and definitive Deltic. We are confident that the shape will be correct and as you say have been in conversation with several serious authorities on the real Deltics such as Brian. He has been very helpful and there have been several tweaks made since the print as we had a lead time to get it done for the show. We are fully confident it will look right, ride right, run right and be the excellent model of these babies that we all crave.

Cheers

Fran

People looked in awe at the HUOs, they gasped at the Chemflos but with the Deltic sh@t just got real and there will be no mercy

• RMweb Gold

People looked in awe at the HUOs, they gasped at the Chemflos but with the Deltic sh@t just got real and there will be no mercy

Well we did say “Go big or go home” and we are happy to listen to feedback once it is constructive as we want to get it right just as much as the most die hard enthuasts! As I said, we are talking to Brian and other authorities in Deltics, and it will be right. We get a 3D print to assess as part of this process, but we have utmost confidence that the final product will be right and that’s the most important thing.

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 4

thanks for all the feedback.

I'll see what I can dig up. This photo (https://i.pinimg.com/originals/91/0e/5d/910e5d3ed668aa3584f0617a88baf1ee.jpg) shows the nose grill issue. The real thing is level with the bottom edge of the white cab window surround which from memory is about an inch deep. The actual grille itself is surprisingly complex once you look at it. Will you be doing the rivetted bogies as well? And for the DCC Sound version I believe that engine start up was pretty much simultaneous before ETH was fitted.

I'll see what I can dig up. This photo (https://i.pinimg.com/originals/91/0e/5d/910e5d3ed668aa3584f0617a88baf1ee.jpg) shows the nose grill issue. The real thing is level with the bottom edge of the white cab window surround which from memory is about an inch deep. The actual grille itself is surprisingly complex once you look at it. Will you be doing the rivetted bogies as well? And for the DCC Sound version I believe that engine start up was pretty much simultaneous before ETH was fitted.

I'm not confident that the preservation era paint job on D9009 is necessarily correct. The yellow panel is way too narrow; the vertical line should run through the taillights not inboard of them. Apart from the yellow panel the livery may be correct but I'd check with another example.

Luke