Accurascale Class 55 Deltic - 4mm scale

Thanks for that! Well, we did say we’d raise a few eyebrows.

Okay, we find it really interesting that we’re getting a lot of calls to do a whistler. I do love a 40 myself, but wasn’t a newly tooled one launched a couple of years ago? Without dragging us off topic too much, why would you guys like to see a new one?

Cheers,

Fran

While the 40 might be a better spec than previous both this and (to a greater extent) the 37 have room for improvement in the roof and cab window area. The skirted Bachmann 37 have compromises in the nose and the Bachmann bogies are far from great while the underframe is very under-detailed. I hope that you guys doing the bogies for the Deltic will naturally take you into the territory of doing a 37 (and for that matter a 50 in the fullness of time as the Hornby model has it's fair share of areas for improvement) because I think it will outsell the Deltic by a significant margin. 

Much as it pains me to say this (owning a couple of Bachmann 37s which I'm happy with) but a top spec 37 would I'm sure out-sell the Deltic purely because of the class size, longevity and the fact that they've covered practically every corner of the network.

Anyway, let the guys over the water complete a top notch 55 first! I'm really looking forward to this model in around 12 months from now.

• RMweb Premium

And that young man is a prime example of how spotters/Rail Enthusiasts got labelled firmly in the adenoids/geek/weirdo brigade. Had to keep my love for Trains well under my hat all through school, as if I’d ‘come out’, I think I’d have been in for some tough times. (And high school came only 7 and a half years after that footage in December 1981). Shows how times changed so rapidly back then. Even though I’ve been a driver for over 15 years, most still don’t know about my passion. And I’m not alone. Fair few colleagues also keep schtum about their hobby, for fear of being ridiculed.

Anyway, a fantastic bit of footage and makes me even more excited for Tulyar to arrive.

Hi 66738

Something I have never done is hid my passion for railways and model railways. I suppose if you work in the railway industry it could be a bit difficult.

Hi 66738

Something I have never done is hid my passion for railways and model railways. I suppose if you work in the railway industry it could be a bit difficult.

Hi Clive.

I’d have loved nothing more than to be out in the open with it at school, but hiding it undoubtedly avoided my head being kicked in for not conforming. Got through school unscathed and to be fair was one of the more popular lads, into football, girls, and up to date music. Looking back, I don’t regret how I approached school. It was the right thing for me to do.

Now works a bit different. Yes, there would be a bit of stick but nowt like school. One of the main reasons to keep it quiet at work stems from my first Conductor interview with a Conductor manager (I spent 3 years as a tail lamp). He advised I kept it quiet, particularly if I was to go on to apply to driver grade, as my concentration on the job in hand may called into doubt and be distracted by other things. He thought this could go against me in the application process.Thought this was fair advice.

I’ve kept it reasonably quiet ever since. I’m happy with how my colleagues see me, and would like it to stay that way. It doesn’t stop me doing a bit of spotting on my travels!

Edited by 66738

Thanks for that! Well, we did say we’d raise a few eyebrows.

Okay, we find it really interesting that we’re getting a lot of calls to do a whistler. I do love a 40 myself, but wasn’t a newly tooled one launched a couple of years ago? Without dragging us off topic too much, why would you guys like to see a new one?

Cheers,

Fran

The Bachmann 40 is an adequate, but not an specially good model. Here's where it can be improved:

Bogies, spring detail is too low relief, (compare the 40 bogie with the Hatton snow plough to see what it should look like.) Plus theres missing pipes and brackets missing that are very noticeable on the real loco. Front end pipework is very basic, m.u. pipes to front side of bogie frame out of scale.

Cab windows very poor, see extreme etchings replacement.

Cab interior very basic, no better than ancient Hornby models I had as a kid. Steps and head code discs needed etched replacements.

Inside there's no room for a decent speaker. An slw spec sound job (or even accura deltic spec maybe??) would bring the beast to life in a way the factory sound massively fails.

Roof grills, especially fan need improvement.

Running qualities, due to pick ups and pony trucks with a mind of their own, could be improved on big time.

That's of the top of my head, without even thinking.

It wouldnt be as big a step change as e.g. the slw24 was but it's an important maybe even iconic loco that ran most places at sometime or other and I believe a definitive model would easily sell out, after all thr current one isnt cheap but is pretty basic spec wise.

Edited by The Ghost of IKB

Hi Clive.

I’d have loved nothing more than to be out in the open with it at school, but hiding it undoubtedly avoided my head being kicked in for not conforming. Got through school unscathed and to be fair was one of the more popular lads, into football, girls, and up to date music. Looking back, I don’t regret how I approached school. It was the right thing for me to do.

Now works a bit different. Yes, there would be a bit of stick but nowt like school. One of the main reasons to keep it quiet at work stems from my first Conductor interview with a Conductor manager (I spent 3 years as a tail lamp). He advised I kept it quiet, particularly if I was to go on to apply to driver grade, as my concentration on the job in hand may called into doubt and be distracted by other things. He thought this could go against me in the application process.Thought this was fair advice.

I’ve kept it reasonably quiet ever since.

Even in my line of work - franchise, fleet, rolling-stock, maintenance, overhaul, depot consultancy - having or expressing an interest in 'trains' outside of normal working hours is seen as 'sad' in some quarters and derided by the minority.  However, there's a sizeable community of us this side of the fence who don't especially hide it, and roll with the banter - there's enough of us to dispel the commonly held view that we're all freaks and weirdos!  Plus, in reality the level of wide industry knowledge we possess just wouldn't be had if we weren't generally interested in the whole railway organism, and how it became what it is today - after all 'those who don't learn from history are destined to repeat it.'   :angel:

• Like 5

I just think what’s the point in making life anymore difficult for myself. I’m again, quite popular at our depot and would like it to stay that way.

I hid it initially, but what I found was when I declared an interest most other staff helped with 'gen' rather than mocked.

Was caught out years ago photographing a red 86 at Lime St by one of the T&RS fitters, I expected him to take the proverbial but the opposite was true. Once it was clear I had an interest, he used to lend me fitters manuals and traction books from their library and explained it all.

He's a 'normal', but gets it.

• Like 1

I hid it initially, but what I found was when I declared an interest most other staff helped with 'gen' rather than mocked.

Was caught out years ago photographing a red 86 at Lime St by one of the T&RS fitters, I expected him to take the proverbial but the opposite was true. Once it was clear I had an interest, he used to lend me fitters manuals and traction books from their library and explained it all.

He's a 'normal', but gets it.

I get the impression that some of my colleagues have given up on me as a lost cause!

• RMweb Gold

"3300hp with 18 cylinders an engine and two engines, that's 36 cylinders .... that's why they're special"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xSbmBhFnQk

Is that the earliest recorded instance of locomotive kissing ?

I first saw this at the ELR at their first diesel gala in 1988, never quite got it myself.

As for keeping the hobby secret, I did for many years, and faced much ridicule at school.

In 1991, I got over it and appeared on ITVs Youbet ! With a railway challenge (Still have the trophy, but the t-shirt hasnt fitted since 1991)., after that it was neither secret nor dis-respected, though my mates at uni made eternal focus of pointing this out to any girlfriend !

My best memory was in Taiwan in 2001, when talking with someone, who arranged me shed access in Taipei whilst on completely unrelated work trip mis-translated in the bar, and referred to me as a Scientist of model trains. By the end of the night a lot of quite nice looking girls in dresses were in my vicinity in the hotel bar !!, though i dont think its class 40’s they wanted.

As an aside, this cap badge, was the driver’s of the last Deltic from Manchester Victoria, ex-Liverpool to York in December 1981, yours truly got to cab it, and as the driver was retiring, removed the badge from his hat and gave me, at 6 years old, before departing up Miles Platting bank...

post-20773-0-32106200-1543620232_thumb.jpeg

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

There were more than enough of us at Worcester Grammar for there to be strength in numbers!

Not only that bit some of the senior lads who were also interested took you under their wing - even better ...

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Wow! I resisted all of 20 minutes, Ballymoss ordered :)

It took you a bit longer than me to order Ballymoss. Not only was it my last Deltic, I have also worked with people who worked at FP.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I make no effort to hide my interest - I even do my building at my desk at work (I don't work in the industry) and people are mildly interested. I work in an industry that can be quite harsh. But being the IT guy I think it's probably a bit expected for me to be a bit geeky - AND they need my help lol

Now, how do I stretch rule 1 far enough to justify a deltic in 1939 GE mainline?

Edited by Bucoops
  • Like 1

There were more than enough of us at Worcester Grammar for there to be strength in numbers!

Not only that bit some of the senior lads who were also interested took you under their wing - even better ...

Phil

You was very lucky mate. Or your school years were when the hobby was still acceptable. What years were you there if you don’t mind me asking?

My original point was that times changed very quickly. Late ‘81 early ‘82 it seemed spotting or being an enthusiast was accepted widely amongst young lads, but by the late ‘80’s, you’d have had a beating if your interest was known. Computer games and other things came, and trains went.

I only let one girlfriend know about my liking for trains. And only when I was satisfied that we were serious enough, did I broach the subject. Even then, it took over a year to pluck up enough courage. Her reaction was to laugh “oh my god, you’re not are you? Do you sit on a station and go....” Then in her best adenoids voice “Oh look! It’s 4123. I’d better write that down in my book.” It was pretty much what I expected. But she was fine about it. Just as long as I didn’t expect her to go and sit on a platform for hours.

That girlfriend has been my wife for nearly 20 years. She’s come to quite like the railway. The comfortable life it’s given us as helped!

My daughters thought it was really cool having a Dad as a train driver. One of their best memories is when I worked a Railtour to York back in December 2011,on 144017. My wife and girls came along for the ride. My DTM at the time asked if my girls would like to see their Dad in action, so he went to fetch them and sat them both on the 2nd mans seat. So I’m doing 75MPH at Colton Junction with my girls (and of course DTM). Very special memories that will live with me forever!

I apologise to Accurascale for taking the thread off on a tangent.

Edited by 66738
  • Like 1

I wasn't thinking about getting another deltic as i already got one but i may get the Purple Deltic as it is unusual and i don't know that there was such a livery put on one and also to support Accurascale with this project. 

Also will this be the only batch to contain the purple deltic or could it be produced in the future after they have sold out from the first batch?

Samuel

• Like 1

Even in my line of work - franchise, fleet, rolling-stock, maintenance, overhaul, depot consultancy - having or expressing an interest in 'trains' outside of normal working hours is seen as 'sad' in some quarters and derided by the minority.  However, there's a sizeable community of us this side of the fence who don't especially hide it, and roll with the banter - there's enough of us to dispel the commonly held view that we're all freaks and weirdos!  Plus, in reality the level of wide industry knowledge we possess just wouldn't be had if we weren't generally interested in the whole railway organism, and how it became what it is today - after all 'those who don't learn from history are destined to repeat it.'   :angel:

Agree 'Chard.  I am fortunate that in our Control the majority are of a crank nature and that is how things are.  The minority just accept it !!.  

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Has anyone else had invoices for immediate payment of the full amount?

Me to. At 5.21 this morning. Somebody must be an early riser. I've sent an e-mail back.

PJ10

Edited by PJ10
  • Like 1

Agree 'Chard.  I am fortunate that in our Control the majority are of a crank nature and that is how things are.  The minority just accept it !!.

Agree with Chard also. I got away with it at school circa 1981 but on the scale of weirdness it wasn’t really up there and a few of us were Deltic nuts living in York. I must say today I feel sorry for spotters I’ve seen waiting at Doncaster station getting excited over Voyagers etc but each to their own, looking back we were so spoilt for locos. Although people talking to themselves on platforms writing train numbers down doesn’t really sit well with joe public!
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The preserved ones as I remember them:

• 55 002 in 2 tone green, circa 1981
  • 55 009 in Blue as currently preserved
  • 55 022 in Blue, silver grills etc

I dare say 55 019 might just sneak in as well or possibly 55 018.

As a collector, most of these will just be destined for a display case with only very occasional running. As such I'm also keeping an eye on eBay as I expect a glut of Bachmann  models to start appearing which would be a cheaper option, although I really do like the idea of these high definition models.

• Like 1