Accurascale Class 55 Deltic - 4mm scale

I believe that in the Second World War, bomber pilots were provided with a tube which led out of the aeroplane. If the aeroplane returned from a mission badly shot up, the repair mechanics sometimes tied a knot in the tube. After that, empty beer bottles were used.

“Whence the rivers come, thither they return again.”  :D

Whilst they had a Top Speed of 100 mph as shown in the cab ends, they were - and did - prove capable to exceeding this figure. So the models should take this into consideration, not set a limit which would undersell their true capability.  This is not unique to Deltics as most rail stock can achieve better than the quoted line speed maximum shown, you also have to allow for % error in the speedo.

Looking at lots and lots of Deltic timings I believe around 112/113mph was generally about the top speed....

Looking at lots and lots of Deltic timings I believe around 112/113mph was generally about the top speed....

I believe that was the balancing speed with eight coaches on the flat. Downhill they could do a bit more! But as they were actually geared for a top speed of 105mph, it was not as much of an overspeed as it would seem.

I believe that was the balancing speed with eight coaches on the flat. Downhill they could do a bit more! But as they were actually geared for a top speed of 105mph, it was not as much of an overspeed as it would seem.

...and I seem to recall from past discussions that 'designed' (or possibly more accurately 'engineered') maximum speed for safe operation was a further 10 or 12% higher than this, meaning a notional full-chat of nearly 120mph!!!

The traction motors were tested up to 30% overspeed after overhaul to prove integrity of the armature and commutator. Whether this was based upon 100 mph or 105 mph I don't know. The only Deltic that managed to burst its motors due to excessive speed as far as I know was the prototype, when it was originally geared for 90 mph. I wonder if that was an influence in changing the gear ratio to 105 mph, as it became clear that this loco was a racehorse not mixed traffic!

Edited by Titan

• RMweb Premium

... as it became clear that this loco was a racehorse not mixed traffic!

I'd swear the phrase you're looking for is "a racehorse and not a bloody great bullock", attributed to Gerry Fiennes as a comment on how the LMR utilised DP1, but I can't for the life of me find it in print, so it could just be the inevitable decay of memory playing tricks.

I'd swear the phrase you're looking for is "a racehorse and not a bloody great bullock", attributed to Gerry Fiennes as a comment on how the LMR utilised DP1, but I can't for the life of me find it in print, so it could just be the inevitable decay of memory playing tricks.

It's in 'Deltics: a Symposium' and I think he said something like, 'for what we had here was a racehorse, not a Goliath'.

I think it was no 11 that damaged its traction motors on test 'for which a speed of something approaching 130 might have been needed' as it was reported.

One loco as late as 1981 was called to substitute for an HST on a Sunday working and the driver apparently was somewhat sporting as, on a train still timed for 125 traction, took the view,'well, it's my job to try to keep time using the equipment provided'. Fortunately a very experienced logger of Deltic running and who had this chat with driver was also on board. Speeds of 120mph + (with I think load9) were recorded in a highly unofficial capacity but, with an exhibition of Deltic prowess that might well have been the ultimate in performance from these unique locos. But as those close to these engines know, their career was full of runs which had observers proclaiming 'surely the ultimate run' only to see it smashed on an ensuing occasion.

Another 'unofficial' tour de force timed by experienced railman and author John Heaton in 1978 appeared in Railway World (his column) recording a run where a long serving outgoing Gateshead man went out in style on his last turn, with with a dash to 125mph down from Stoke Summit - with Deltic 55008.

• Like 3

You are indeed correct, It is in 'Fiennes on Rails' which I have read many times. I just could not quite bring myself to call a Deltic a "Bullock"  :D

• RMweb Premium

You are indeed correct, It is in 'Fiennes on Rails' which I have read many times. I just could not quite bring myself to call a Deltic a "Bullock" :D

But it's perfectly fiennes to call one 'not a bullock'.

Edited by Flying Pig
  • Like 1

Anyone know if Bif/Charlie were involved in the recordings being used in these new Deltics ? 

TIA

I believe not; Accurascale recorded their own, with the help of ESU directly. I recall this will be the case for models purchased through Accurascale themselves.

A search for "sound" on this topic (search bar to the right of the banner) confirms this.

Hope this helps,

Jack.

G'Day Folks

Not a good idea, using the loo on a Deltic, when it was doing a 100 mph..........it went everywhere !

I did have a Deltic up to 105 mph, with a VERY late running sleeper, left Peterborough at least 2 hours late, really opened up as we passed the old 'Farrows Peas' factory, 105 by Connington.

manna

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

You are indeed correct, It is in 'Fiennes on Rails' which I have read many times. I just could not quite bring myself to call a Deltic a "Bullock"  :D

Takes one to know one! 

"The Deltics - A symposium" is well worth a read if you havent already and it certainly gives an insight in to the introduction of new traction - and also the aforementioned Mr Fiennes.

Phil

• RMweb Gold

"The Deltics - A symposium" is well worth a read if you havent already 

My copy dates back to 1980/81, presented as part of my "Jeremy Earl Prize for Craft" at School, back in those days you had a set amount to spend in "Sisson and Parkers" - books only. Not a first edition but pretty close LOL

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

G'Day Folks

Not a good idea, using the loo on a Deltic, when it was doing a 100 mph..........it went everywhere !

I did have a Deltic up to 105 mph, with a VERY late running sleeper, left Peterborough at least 2 hours late, really opened up as we passed the old 'Farrows Peas' factory, 105 by Connington.

manna

You must have known Ron Kennedy then? He told me to use the “loo” once when I was with him........too noisy to concerntrate on anything! :)

G'Day boxbrownie.

Yes, I knew Ron, we sometimes traveled up to work on the same train, I've also work ECS with him, bit of a shock to hear that he died ealrier this year. A lot of the Drivers at KX, that I worked with have passed, David Johns, went a couple of months ago.

manna

• RMweb Premium

G'Day boxbrownie.

Yes, I knew Ron, we sometimes traveled up to work on the same train, I've also work ECS with him, bit of a shock to hear that he died ealrier this year. A lot of the Drivers at KX, that I worked with have passed, David Johns, went a couple of months ago.

manna

Off topic but thought you might like to read....

R

on Kennedy, who has died aged 85, combined a career driving famous locomotives like Flying Scotsman with decades of service to his adopted home of Southend as a Labour councillor and hospital governor.

A jovial man who filled any doorway he came through, Kennedy was a committed man of the Left. As a rep for the drivers’ union Aslef, he told workmates at King’s Cross Top Shed that “striking is good for the soul”.

Kennedy briefly fell out with the Labour Party over its refusal to oppose the recapture of the Falklands, but returned to be a long-serving Essex county councillor, chairing the authority in 1997-98.

Even his political foes knew him as “a lovely man who was always smiling”; his ambition was to “die fat and happy”. Kennedy’s commonsense approach and readiness to pass on his experience – especially to young councillors – earned him general respect.

Kennedy drove not only Flying Scotsman but also Sir Nigel Gresley’s streamlined A4 Pacifics, one of which appears on his official portrait in County Hall, Chelmsford.

When in 2016 Flying Scotsman returned to service after a £4.2 million overhaul, he was one of those invited aboard its first train, from King’s Cross to York. He said: “I never dreamt of being on it again. It was just fantastic.” But he added: “She was a great train, but I’m an A4 man.”

Ronald John Kennedy was born at St Pancras, a stone’s throw from King’s Cross, on August 12 1932, one of five children of John and Annie Kennedy, who both worked on the railway. Evacuated to Bolton in wartime, he tried for a railway job there but was told by his grandfather he had to start at King’s Cross.

He joined the London & North Eastern Railway as a locomotive cleaner months before the railways were nationalised. He worked his way up to fireman and then to driver, his progression interrupted by National Service with the Army, first as a wireless operator and then as a paratrooper (having discovered paras were paid more).

Joining the top link at King’s Cross, he drove Flying Scotsman and other A3 Pacifics on everything from expresses to overnight newspaper trains, from 1956 until their withdrawal in 1963. Kennedy switched to the A4s, which hauled the fastest East Coast trains until the end of steam, after which he drove Deltic diesels, High Speed Trains and, eventually, electric locomotives.

In 1981 he drove a special HST from Southend to Fenchurch Street to mark the 125th anniversary of the London, Tilbury & Southend line. Speed restrictions were relaxed for the occasion, and Kennedy set a record time that has yet to be beaten.

He and his wife had a bungalow built at Eastwood, outside Southend, moving there from London in 1961. He was elected to the borough council in 1974, subsequently lost his seat, but in 1981 was elected a county councillor.

Over a generation, he served – with encouragement from British Rail – on the highways, social, policy and resources committees. As council chairman he visited Budapest. He met Nelson Mandela on a visit to Essex.

Kennedy retired from the railways in 1996 after almost 50 years’ service, just as they were being privatised again. In retirement he became heavily involved with Southend Hospital, serving as a non-executive director and then a hospital governor until he stood down in 2016. He was a leading campaigner for the leukaemia unit, and last year was presented with a lifetime achievement award.

He also took a keen interest in Southend’s adoption services, was a prison visitor and chaired the governors at Temple Sutton primary school. He was a Southend magistrate, a freeman of the borough and a Deputy Lieutenant of Essex. He was awarded the BEM in 1989.

Ron Kennedy is survived by his wife Marlene and by their two daughters.

Ron Kennedy, born August 12 1932, died January 31 2018

- [ ]

Edited by boxbrownie
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

All this wibble over another 00 Deltic,

I was always told there was nothing wrong with the Bachmann version??  :jester:

Flippant mode off, this is fantastic news and has been a long time coming.

At last a Deltic that looks like a Deltic should- I shall be buying at least 2 of these for sure!

Thanks, Accurascale. 

• RMweb Premium

No:  Everything has been arranged via ESU by Accurascale.   Legomanbiffo Team are involved with the Rails of Sheffield sounds though!    Charlie

Charlie, does this mean the Rails special edition Accurascale Deltics will have Biffo sound projects, and the Deltics bought direct from Accurascale will have their own sound projects?

Should be interesting if that’s the case.....

• RMweb Gold

Charlie, does this mean the Rails special edition Accurascale Deltics will have Biffo sound projects, and the Deltics bought direct from Accurascale will have their own sound projects?

Should be interesting if that’s the case.....

Hi boxbrownie,

That is correct. We’re all about choice as you may have seen previously! Both are going to sound terrific I’m sure, I know the effort we put in and the sound tech spec will make it epic for ours, and I had a play with an O Gauge Deltic with Biffo sound last year and that was very tasty too!

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 1

Hi boxbrownie,

That is correct. We’re all about choice as you may have seen previously! Both are going to sound terrific I’m sure, I know the effort we put in and the sound tech spec will make it epic for ours, and I had a play with an O Gauge Deltic with Biffo sound last year and that was very tasty too!

Cheers!

Fran

Hi,

Fran will the dcc socket on your new Deltic accept current Version 4 Loksound soundchips or only the new one you mention?

• Like 1