Accurascale Class 55 Deltic - 4mm scale

3 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Continuing Irish successs......again.....at Cheltenham on Friday.Shame that Cardiff spoiled the party yesterday.Oops!

Don't want to hijack the thread, but saying as it's St. Patrick's day, I'm allowed this once.

If Ireland didn't play such rubbish yesterday and won in Cardiff, and with the unexpected result for the Scot's in Twickenham, then I believe Ireland would have been the 6 Nations championship winners, something nobody would have thought possible before the Twickers match.

Now, can we please get back on topic :rolleyes:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, 071 said:

For the day that’s in it, 55001 at York. Happy St. Patrick’s Day everyone!

St Paddy at York

(Pic by Geoff Dowling via Flickr.)

Like the Deltic, Like the 40, but can we have the Newton Chambers mk1 motorails behind it please ?

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 3

Fab photo. Just out of curiosity what was the mechanical design behind the snout nosed cabs on early BR diesel lococs like their American cousins and then the reason for switching to flat faced cabs. It sort of parallels the difference between European HGV tractor units and American trucks. There must be some good reason such as maintenance access or cooling systems, etc! On BR the changed seemed to happen between the class 37 and 47. 

• RMweb Premium

It was thought in the early days, that without a nose the drivers would get hypnotised by the sleepers at speed. EE like the design of a nose and tried to keep it for all its locos, but eventually the Design Panel won the day..

Andy G

24 minutes ago, NoelG said:

Fab photo. Just out of curiosity what was the mechanical design behind the snout nosed cabs on early BR diesel lococs like their American cousins and then the reason for switching to flat faced cabs. It sort of parallels the difference between European HGV tractor units and American trucks. There must be some good reason such as maintenance access or cooling systems, etc! On BR the changed seemed to happen between the class 37 and 47. 

It was also a safety feature in case of a crash. Like a crumple zone on a car. Look at the DP2 damage from Thirsk and ask yourself if the driver would have survived if it had been a flat nose class 50.

Edited by JSpencer

1 hour ago, JSpencer said:

It was also a safety feature in case of a crash. Like a crumple zone on a car. Look at the DP2 damage from Thirsk and ask yourself if the driver would have survived if it had been a flat nose class 50.

Absolutely. I wonder what the relatives of crews killed in Westerns would have thought of the crew being protected by nothing more than a thin sheet of steel. So much for a design classic. To wander into the muddy field of aesthetics, I think that DP2 was an attractive machine. The 50s, flat-fronted and with a big box on the roof, were not.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Unfortunately the nose isn't always as good as suggested.

I was 9 when I took this picture, I still recall today reading that the driver was found half way back in the engine room, despite the nose and the large peak bogies, as you can see, they would have offered him no protection.

45147 at Patricroft, following recovery from Waste after crashing on 5th December 1984.

Only ever returned to this spot once, on August 10th/11th 2008, to watch 48151 on the 1T57 re-run, something about this initial memory, with the Peak and all the foam across the motorway kind of put me off being here.

48151 (with 2xPOB and 70013) on LE to the MOSI on August 10th 2008.

Fortunately todays railway is not so just about rolling stock strength,  but preventing the accident occurring in the first place.

August 10th 2008 did however hold another surprise for me, on returning to Eccles station to return home, I heard a sound I'd not heard on the mainline around Manchester since 1981... Imagine how stunned I was, after seeing a 142 exit towards Liverpool, this happened upon me..., days before Realtimetrains, Ipads and UKSteam only lists..steam (I honestly thought I'd gone mad)…

Edited by adb968008
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On 18/03/2019 at 10:42, adb968008 said:

Fortunately todays railway is not so just about rolling stock strength,  but preventing the accident occurring in the first place.

Prevention has always been at the heart of railway safety. Genuinely crash-proof rolling stock is a relatively recent thing.

• RMweb Premium
On 14/03/2019 at 11:39, woodenhead said:

They haven't

But they are indicating more locomotives D/E and Steam so I think it was just a hint of a wish for a future model.

Thank you for letting me know. I just didn't want to miss an announcement that I would be really interested in. Hopefully it might happen in the future though...

On 14/03/2019 at 11:53, 071 said:

Nice try! lol

I had to ask haha! So it was the PFA, which is brilliant because I will be buying some of the DRS versions. Interesting how a 37/4 hasn't been ruled out though...

I would really like some Class 37/6s which yes are different to the Class 37/4s but could be produced as an extension to a Class 37/4 model. I have been wanting to buy some ready to run 37/6s for many years now. It would be excellent if this was announced as an Accurascale project. 

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Bedlington North said:

We're in danger of veering into an off topic ditch here, but having shown the differing variants of the PFA tooling, maybe they would be prepared to tool up for a 37/6 and a 37/4...

Sorry, I forgot what topic this was. I'm always changing topic, in the wrong place, without even realising haha. 

It would be nice though for a new Class 37 to be announced including the Class 37/6. 

Class 37/6s would be perfect to run with the newly announced DRS PFAs. 

Edited by DRS Crewe On A Mission
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

Sorry, I forgot what topic this was. I'm always changing topic, in the wrong place, without even realising haha. 

It would be nice though for a new Class 37 to be announced including the Class 37/6. 

Class 37/6s would be perfect to run with the newly announced DRS PFAs. 

Without going off topic too far - Would agree and have thought for a long time that a Cl 37 would be a good move to follow on from the Deltic, and whilst I love Hornby's Class 50, an Accurascale one with sound would make an excellent follow on too (I would quite happily provide a list of the numbers/liveries Hornby have done to avoid number and livery duplication where possible, although some would be required - D400 with correct Handrails, 50149 with correct bogies as examples).   

A Cl.37 would put the Bachmann one out of its misery, just like the Deltic will.  I would go further, but out of respect for Accurascale won't.

Regards,

C.  

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

There is risk with 37 or 50 that both the incumbent producers could lower their prices and duplicate the new producers numbers. Bachmann have scatter gunned the market with a lot of new 37s recently, and more to come.

arguably all the obvious desirable candidates (gbrf / intercity 50 excepted) have been done. Hornby could do a Railroad 1-2-1 match just as easily on the 37 too. 

A safer lower cost bet might be to acquire the vitrains 37/47 toolings and have them produced as fully assembled models in China. I’m surprised in these hearty times they haven’t resurfaced already.

The Hornby 50 is a tough one to beat, opening doors, posable louvres. If they invested in a few minor tweaks it’s not a straight forwards model to ignore, that said given the current models complexity, it may not be cost effective for Hornby to compete, but if someone else started making a less complex one than Hornby's, would that be seen as an improvement ?

Edited by adb968008

2 hours ago, adb968008 said:

There is risk with 37 or 50 that both the incumbent producers could lower their prices and duplicate the new producers numbers. Bachmann have scatter gunned the market with a lot of new 37s recently, and more to come.

arguably all the obvious desirable candidates (gbrf / intercity 50 excepted) have been done. Hornby could do a Railroad 1-2-1 match just as easily on the 37 too. 

A safer lower cost bet might be to acquire the vitrains 37/47 toolings and have them produced as fully assembled models in China. I’m surprised in these hearty times they haven’t resurfaced already.

The Hornby 50 is a tough one to beat, opening doors, posable louvres. If they invested in a few minor tweaks it’s not a straight forwards model to ignore, that said given the current models complexity, it may not be cost effective for Hornby to compete, but if someone else started making a less complex one than Hornby's, would that be seen as an improvement ?

While I understand that the Bachmann 37 and 47 are not perfect, for me, with a bit of detailing, they are more than acceptable.

I’m in two minds on this.

If new highly detailed, virtually perfect versions were introduced by someone like Accurascale, as delighted as I’d be, I would baulk at the idea of replacing my numerous fleets. I imagine 37’s and 47’s will heavily feature on the majority of post steam layouts, and the large fleet numbers of both these versatile, go anywhere locos, will result in modellers like me having a fair few feature on their layouts. 

Replacing one or two Bachmann examples with high spec units (providing they produce correct livery/boiler port/grill etc etc combinations) is not much of a problem but replacing fleets of 10+ could be. It would be a gamble for manufacturers to hope modellers would replace fleets en mass. 

Accurascale have gone with the Class 55, which for me is a good, financially sound bet. Their will be a few layouts (Probably East Coast influenced) with numerous non perfect Bachmann examples. But for the many, some will have none, because what is out there is simply not good enough, or one or two because their layout does not require more than that. Folk will replace the 1 or 2 with not much issue, and those that have none (like me) will put their hand in their pocket to have a quality example that wasn’t previously available, on their layout for the odd railtour/special.

To follow on from the Deltic, Accurascale should in my opinion go down a similar route. A class 45/0 45/1 and 46 would be a safe one. 

Class 50? Maybe. Whilst Hornby’s version is very good, it’s not perfect. Often livery discrepancies let it down. Build quality of is also questionable. 

Lots for upcoming outfits like Accurascale, Cavalex, SLW etc etc to ponder over. Gambles that could pay dividend if they go with a real winner or really hit them hard in their pockets if they choose the wrong model and they prove to be poor sellers. It really could go either way. That’s why they really should be congratulated for taking on these risks. 

Edited by 66738
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1