Accurascale Class 55 Deltic - 4mm scale

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, maico said:

Are the drive cogs going to be brass or nylon on these ?

Having a heavy die-cast tungsten alloy chassis and mainly metal bogies is a good move.

The drive gears are a combination of brass and Polyoxymethylene (POM) plastic parts. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, dogbox321 said:

I must admit, I am no lover of the internet, and my dad cannot even use it.  But in todays world it has become the future of many things, and its actually been forced onto people such as in banking where branches are closing, government wanting people to buy e-tickets for train travel etc.  

C.

You need to embrace it and use it to your advantage, technology is advancing at exponential speed, in the very near future everything that is manufactured, from fridges to cars, will all be chipped and connected to the internet.

• Funny 1

44 minutes ago, steve45 said:

...in the very near future everything that is manufactured, from fridges to cars, will all be chipped and connected to the internet.

That's very true, although the downside to this of course is that potentially every product that is connected to the internet becomes susceptible to infiltration/interference/malware/fraud etc, depending on the type of product and its intended use.  But I guess that's a whole different debate.

Edited by YesTor
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, steve45 said:

You need to embrace it and use it to your advantage, technology is advancing at exponential speed, in the very near future everything that is manufactured, from fridges to cars, will all be chipped and connected to the internet.

Including people at some point.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, steve45 said:

And very interesting that a good number of people who work in the cyber security domain will have no such devices in their own home. Very telling. 

Roy

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

17 hours ago, steve45 said:

And then you will have to pay a license to use a fridge!

People will then become dependent on an application to tell them the bacon is going out of date. What a nightmare.

I am for this high tech used in this state of the art Deltic that will allow me to use my mind and explore new methods to play model trains in a realistic way, but I don't like it when it takes over my day to day running of my life that we effectively become brain dead.    

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, JSpencer said:

And then you will have to pay a license to use a fridge!

People will then become dependent on an application to tell them the bacon is going out of date. What a nightmare.

I am for this high tech used in this state of the art Deltic that will allow me to use my mind and explore new methods to play model trains in a realistic way, but I don't like it when it takes over my day to day running of my life that we effectively become brain dead.    

Dont worry John, our Deltic wont be an extension of the 'internet of things'! It'll just be about helping people relax and enjoy their hobby.

We hope they don't become self aware anyway.... 

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

1 minute ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Dont worry John, our Deltic wont be an extension of the 'internet of things'! It'll just be about helping people relax and enjoy their hobby.

We hope they don't become self aware anyway.... 

Wait until I post my Cemflo video being hauled by the DCC gang......

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

And very interesting that a good number of people who work in the cyber security domain will have no such devices in their own home. Very telling. 

Roy

As an IT manager I agree 100%!

Although I do have connected cctv and being badgered into getting one of those doorbells. I'm a married IT manager after all lol

• Like 2

Hi there.

In the blurb describing the Deltic model, it mentions 'capable of a scale 100 mph'.

I presume this is with a typical rake of coaches attached, which for a high performing diesel would be 11, or more - is this true?

An excellent reference for me is the Super Detail Hornby HST - I have one of the Virgin ones - which can easily pull 9-10 coaches at overscale speeds thus permitting a reduced throttle and scale speeds (HM2000 transformer / controller).

Would your model 'only just about touch' the scale speed or comfortably achieve it permitting the operator to scale down, not running at 'full beans'?

On the Hornby forum somewhere I calculated that pulling 68'6" coaches, 100 mph is ~2.2 coaches per second - or thereabouts - once, for reference.

Al.

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

Hi there.

In the blurb describing the Deltic model, it mentions 'capable of a scale 100 mph'.

I presume this is with a typical rake of coaches attached, which for a high performing diesel would be 11, or more - is this true?

An excellent reference for me is the Super Detail Hornby HST - I have one of the Virgin ones - which can easily pull 9-10 coaches at overscale speeds thus permitting a reduced throttle and scale speeds (HM2000 transformer / controller).

Would your model 'only just about touch' the scale speed or comfortably achieve it permitting the operator to scale down, not running at 'full beans'?

On the Hornby forum somewhere I calculated that pulling 68'6" coaches, 100 mph is ~2.2 coaches per second - or thereabouts - once, for reference.

Al.

Hi Al,

This is correct, with a good load of coaches on. Of course there is caveats to this; inclines, RTR coaches etc. so within reason! Kit built coaches are of course heavier etc, so this needs to be considered. 

It will be above 100mph now too as some of our customers pointed out the real locos often got pushed beyond the 100mph barrier on spirited runs!

Cheers,

Fran

• Like 2

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

Only if your model accurately replicates scale curves through transitions with appropriate cant on scale-width trackwork and a suitable clear stretch of straight-ish mainline with appropriate speed restriction signs. :p

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 8

3 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Only if your model accurately replicates scale curves through transitions with appropriate cant on scale-width trackwork and a suitable clear stretch of straight-ish mainline with appropriate speed restriction signs. :p

Everard Junction on YT probably does on his new layout, he definitely has cant :yes:

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I am after some Deltic help if anyone could possibly help. I am as far from an expert on Deltics as you can get!

I ordered 55018 Ballymoss which has a plated over headcode. Having nearly paid for it I am looking to get a second one. I was thinking about 55001 St.Paddy which has domino headcode. 

Having looked through my books, I find photos that suggest St.Paddy has dominos quite late, but I can’t prove if they post-dated Ballymoss getting a plated over headcode. 

Does anybody know the relevant dates for 55001 and 55018 getting plated over headcodes?

Thanks in advance,

Roy

• Like 1

Hi Roy

I have seen photos on the net of 55001 in November 1976 with Domino headcode

and  I have a photo of the same loco plated over in June 1977 so must of been plated in this 7 month period.

Hope this helps

I am sure that there are more knowledgeable people on here that could assist better.

Regards Baz

• Thanks 1

On 6 June 2019 at 21:50, Roy Langridge said:

I am after some Deltic help if anyone could possibly help. I am as far from an expert on Deltics as you can get!

I ordered 55018 Ballymoss which has a plated over headcode. Having nearly paid for it I am looking to get a second one. I was thinking about 55001 St.Paddy which has domino headcode. 

Having looked through my books, I find photos that suggest St.Paddy has dominos quite late, but I can’t prove if they post-dated Ballymoss getting a plated over headcode. 

Does anybody know the relevant dates for 55001 and 55018 getting plated over headcodes?

Thanks in advance,

Roy

Roy,

Both locomotives received plated over headcodes during Intermediate overhauls at Doncaster:

55001 - 27 Feb 1977

55018 - 10 Dec 1977

Ballymoss got white cab surrounds at Finsbury Park on 15 Aug 1979.

Regards,

Andy.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, Andy M said:

Roy,

Both locomotives received plated over headcodes during Intermediate overhauls at Doncaster:

55001 - 27 Feb 1977

55018 - 10 Dec 1977

Ballymoss got white cab surrounds at Finsbury Park on 15 Aug 1979.

Regards,

Andy.

But if you want to run 55001 with 55018 with white cabs together, you can’t authentically. 55001 failed on 24.3.78 and never worked again.

Edited by brushman47544

3 minutes ago, brushman47544 said:

But if you want to run 55001 with 55018 with white cabs together, you can’t authentically. 55001 failed on 24.3.78 and never worked again.

Indeed…………Rule 1 would have to be applied!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

Just bitten the bullet and placed a deposit.

What's the latest ETA of the Deltics please?

Al.

Hi Al

unchanged at year end this year!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Any update in terms of when we might see first tooling shots? 6 months to go until release??!!

I bit the bullet and 'upgraded' my order to Sound. With this and the Bachmann crane it will be an expensive late 2019!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

Any update in terms of when we might see first tooling shots? 6 months to go until release??!!

I bit the bullet and 'upgraded' my order to Sound. With this and the Bachmann crane it will be an expensive late 2019!

Tooling is progressing in China and we should have updates in the coming week or so.

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2