Accurascale Class 55 Deltic - 4mm scale

4 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Early in the Deltic development we did look to have a separate servo motor operate the fans, well spotted! However, as we moved on it became impractical for us to do. However, we have left the mechanism in place for the most part (without motors) so it could be possible for someone with a bit of ingenuity to power them if they wish.

Fran

Thank you for the information, Fran. I’m just a little disappointed but, of course, still looking forward to my purple Deltic & contemplating a green one. It did cross my mind that with servo-operated pantos on the 92s perhaps the time had come for servo-operated fans linked to the fan sounds. Perhaps when you come to do the 37 (which some people seem convinced you will) it might be easier with only one fan to worry about.

There are other single-fan diesels but, on balance, I’d much rather see something which hasn’t been modelled before or has been as badly modelled as Hornby’s 92.

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

Thank you for the information, Fran. I’m just a little disappointed but, of course, still looking forward to my purple Deltic & contemplating a green one. It did cross my mind that with servo-operated pantos on the 92s perhaps the time had come for servo-operated fans linked to the fan sounds. Perhaps when you come to do the 37 (which some people seem convinced you will) it might be easier with only one fan to worry about.

There are other single-fan diesels but, on balance, I’d much rather see something which hasn’t been modelled before or has been as badly modelled as Hornby’s 92.

I really wouldnt listen to rumours, I've heard some whoppers attached to us since we started. Really not sure where they begin, but they do give us a chuckle from time to time! 

5 hours ago, Swindon 123 said:

Not really. Insted of having two diesel engines to produce traction current, we only had one that day. The diesel engine was doing what it would have done had there been two, and all 6 traction motors were working, so no strain on them. It just took a little longer to get up to 100MPH as there was less HP available, but once at 100MPH, the engine was quite happy to hold it there. Diesel engines, especially the Deltic ones, were a lot happier and economic when run at high revs for long times, as long as the cooling system was designed for it. I can remember working heavy steel trains over  the Marches line with a single refurbished Class 37's hauling 1400 tons. The climb from Shrewsbury to Church Stretton, 12 miles, took around an hour with those type of loads, all with the engine flat out. They never faltered, as long as you could put up with the fire bells ringing every now and then. The biggest limit to the maximum speed a loco could attain was the speed at which the last Field Divert came in, which on a Deltic was higher than other locos. Once the last field divert had done its thing, the point at which the back EMF from the traction motors was matched the output of the main generator/alternator, a locos ability to carry on exelerating was limited. So the higher the speed of the last divert, the higher the speed up to which the loco could keep accelerating. This was shown to me the best when they refurbished and regeared the Class 37's. We had a spell of working 2,000t steel trains out of Llanwernto Dee Marsh with pairs of class 37's. A pair of unrefurbished class 37's could get a 2,000t train up to 60MPH, where the gradients allowed, more often than a refurbished class 37, which had been regeared, thus altering the speed of the last field divert. A refurbished class 37 would start to struggle once above 45MPH. 

Paul J.

Don't forget that a Deltic has the third divert giving it that extra bit of go. Never heard of a speed limiter on a Deltic, had many runs with them with figures in the 110+. 

3 hours ago, maico said:

The expensive Marklin Trix use powered fans and they are directional but I suppose there is a limit to what is achievable for £160.

Directional? That seems an odd idea. The fans are there to push air over radiators; I doubt that they would work effectively if reversed.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

I really wouldnt listen to rumours, I've heard some whoppers attached to us since we started. Really not sure where they begin, but they do give us a chuckle from time to time! 

Oh I listen to rumours; I just don’t believe them. I was having a laugh at the Class 37 one, which might not, or might, be true.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, 45125 said:

Don't forget that a Deltic has the third divert giving it that extra bit of go. Never heard of a speed limiter on a Deltic, had many runs with them with figures in the 110+. 

I used to ride with my Uncle who was a top link driver at the + and when rostered on Deltics (although he was a true A4 fan)  we regularly topped 100+, only diesels ever bettered that were the HSTs......they were definitely limited but occasionally one was less limited than others......best ever was 134mph.....;)

The worst were the 40s.......especially on empty freightliner stock, rattley front axle up front and rattley stock behind.......:lol:

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, atom3624 said:

Fran, if the Dapol - sorry to name drop - ultra special version is the Black Label ....

What would that make an all-singing-and-dancing Accurascale .... Guinness?

Sorry, had to!!  :crazy_mini:

Al.

Oh no, proper whiskey of course. 

I believe that’s the sound of a can of worms being opened... 

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Ah go on so, more Deltic stories please! 

If you produce an 08 I’ll tell you about the first Loco I ever rode.........I was 11 and walking home from school and had to pass Hornsey goods yard, as always stopped and had a look and saw my Uncle in an 08 doing a bit of shunting.......shouted my lungs out to get his attention and ended up spending the evening trundling around the yard.........for a 12 year old school boy it was sheer heaven :wub:

• Like 5