Accurascale Class 55 Deltic - 4mm scale

1 hour ago, boxbrownie said:

If you produce an 08 I’ll tell you about the first Loco I ever rode.........I was 11 and walking home from school and had to pass Hornsey goods yard, as always stopped and had a look and saw my Uncle in an 08 doing a bit of shunting.......shouted my lungs out to get his attention and ended up spending the evening trundling around the yard.........for a 12 year old school boy it was sheer heaven :wub:

That was a long afternoon. Time flies when you are enjoying yourself.

;)

• Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Damo666 said:

That was a long afternoon. Time flies when you are enjoying yourself.

;)

It was my Birthday :lol:

Tell the truth I worked out after I wrote it that it was my first year at secondary school so I must have been 11........and only corrected the first entry........no wonder I did terrible at school, I never showed my “workings out” :blush:

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

22 hours ago, No Decorum said:

Directional? That seems an odd idea. The fans are there to push air over radiators; I doubt that they would work effectively if reversed.

That's what the animation seems to show....https://www.maerklin.de/de/produkte/details/article/39320/24/?tx_torrpdb_pi1[backlink]=24&tx_torrpdb_pi1

Isn't the airflow reversed going backwards ?

Edited by maico

On 09/09/2019 at 17:44, Accurascale Fran said:

And people call us expensive! :lol: (Not anyone here in fairness!)

While prices in the UK market have increased, it is still very good value compared to elsewhere as seen above.

Cheers!

Fran

Personally, I am prepared to pay a bit more for a die-cast zinc body shell. Brawa, ESU and Marklin-Trix offer that but I can only afford to buy them used...

Edited by maico

• RMweb Premium

How about an original 09? In basic BR blue, with high level pipes. Hornby seems reluctant to produce one in that livery from their tooling, and Bachmann's 09 wasn't the original type.

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, atom3624 said:

If that's the reason the shell looked old, tbh, for that money, they can keep it!!

Not enough detail, nor fine enough relief, as is expected nowadays.

Fran's Deltic's looking MILES better, and here's hoping.

Al.

I haven't seen one in person but what is the difference between the v320 model and prototype ?

HEG-006-19881125-HP.jpg

I must admit, from that video, the casting and painting look very crisp - in the photos I had seen, they looked very 'Hornby Dublo' - fantastic at the time, but that's moved on.

I'll take back much of what I inferred, but I still believe there's probably a better 'relief' with a good / clever modern plastic moulding.

Al.

Here's a plastic bodied Piko Expert I got a couple of weeks ago for 104 euro new.

The chassis bellow the 221 147-2 is die-cast. I can't see any difference in detail between that and the upper plastic shell.

Remember these are Ho so smaller than OO.

_DSC1074.jpg

• RMweb Gold

After 40 years of head scratching about Wrenn, are we seeing resurgence in demand for metal bodies ?

whilst all these nice HO models are being hoisted to lofty heights, remember they all have very nice traction tyres too.. meaning the weight part is largely nebulous as traction tyres are what gives it the real strength, not the weight.

remove the traction tyres from a HO model, your back to OO levels of haulage ability... Lima still beats many UK rtr models for haulage.

Edited by adb968008

In my recent 'browsing' I came across something comparing an old Tri-ang 'Winston Churchill' I think at ~400g with a H-D / Wrenn rebuilt Bulleid weighing in at ~700g ...

400-450g is typical for Hornby large pacifics, 450-550g typical for Bachmann I find.

I think we're looking for that 'win, win' scenario, whereby we have maximum available performance in every aspect - which would include current consumption nowadays.

Surely, in increasing weight, we will require more powerful motors at some point, so all may need a rethink in their power supplies, or even locomotive requirements.

For reference, in the last 8 months, I had a Bachmann Class 70, which is a really nice model, but with no room for additional weights, weighed in at a paltry 440g - thus would run out of traction pretty early cf. my then Bachmann 66 weighing in at 600g+, with a little additional Pb.

Then everything went pear-shaped when I received my Dapol 68 - super smooth, more-than fast enough, and weighing in at 695g!!

Prototypical loads are definitely possible without breaking a sweat.

I sold the Class 70 as I knew it would annoy me!!

Al.

Edited by atom3624

I would be surprised if it is pure Zinc, but should be an alloy.

Characteristics: Zinc is a bluish-silver, lustrous metal that tarnishes in moist air, producing a layer of carbonate. It is somewhat brittle at room temperature but malleable above 100 oC. It is a fair conductor of electricity, and burns in air with a bright bluish-green flame producing white clouds of the oxide.

Too reactive unless coated.

Alloys - including ZAMAK:

https://www.belmontmetals.com/product-category/zinc-alloys/

Al.

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, atom3624 said:

I must admit, from that video, the casting and painting look very crisp - in the photos I had seen, they looked very 'Hornby Dublo' - fantastic at the time, but that's moved on.

I'll take back much of what I inferred, but I still believe there's probably a better 'relief' with a good / clever modern plastic moulding.

Al.

It is possible that on the website the pictures on the layout could be EPs mocked up for the piccies.......the first set of very clean pictures look a little like computer generated........just a thought.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Ryde-on-time said:

The cast & fabricated bogies refers the the prototypes which were initially fitted with fabricated bogies but due to cracking they were replaced with cast ones

This is indeed correct. The Deltic has plastic bogie components (sideframes etc) and a plastic body over a heavy metal chassis. Cast and fabricated refers to the style of bogies the Deltics featured during their lives.

Cheers!

Fran

Edited by Accurascale Fran
  • Like 1