Accurascale Class 55 Deltic - 4mm scale

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Flying Pig said:

The A Class is much better looking than its cousins that ran in Britain and would look fantastic in BTC black and silver.

Well, for many years we were told that this was an authentic A Class. 

1865680708_lima015.jpg.24273c6c4d4eb405977b397fc4855553.jpg

Dare we launch a Metro Vick in BR livery as some sort of sadistic revenge? We collectively think it was the model above that drove us into making model trains in the first place.

Oh and the irony of the class number of the donor is not lost on us either!

Cheers,

Fran

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Dare we launch a Metro Vick in BR livery as some sort of sadistic revenge? We collectively think it was the model above that drove us into making model trains in the first place.

Cheers,

Fran

If you do (please, it’s beautiful in its ugliness.......kinda like me) make sure it’s an early version with curved screens, the later version is already here.

Or you could do it properly and do both types......you could even make a really prototypical version with a dead motor and a pool of oil underneath! :lol:

• Funny 2

• Moderators
21 minutes ago, BR Blue said:

I had a chance to check out the Deltic EP. Impressively heavy model. The shape looks spot on. The roof grille etchings were very fine. Very impressive even at this stage.

We had a play today, sure there are revisions to be made but the shape is great and even though if hasn't got the production circuitry in it ran well handling some very iffy track. 683 grammes, that'll shift some metal.

A very impressive project.

• Thanks 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, AY Mod said:

We had a play today, sure there are revisions to be made but the shape is great and even though if hasn't got the production circuitry in it ran well handling some very iffy track. 683 grammes, that'll shift some metal.

A very impressive project.

768g, Andy! :D

It was great catching up with you guys for a chat and to play trains today. Roll on Warley!

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, boxbrownie said:

Etched wipers and windscreen surrounds.......wow!

Its the windscreens, they look "right".......brilliant work Fran........and everyone else there ;)

Thanks David. I cant take any credit for the design of these beasts, that goes to our CAD masters, but we are collectively quite proud of it. As we said, there are tweaks, but certainly on the right track, excuse the pun! 

Also, @AY Mod is a far superior snapper to me, so he really gets the quality out there in the pics. Thanks for that! :)

Cheers,

Fran

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 08/10/2019 at 15:40, Accurascale Fran said:

Cheers,

Fran

Actually a BR Black A class Metrovick would look very nice on a Woodhead style railway - something that could have hauled the trains between Guide Bridge - Manchster Central and Liverpool as a stop gap before the wires were (weren't in the end) extended.

I prefer the A class to the Deltic, it's got something about it.  Sorry to say that on a Deltic thread.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, woodenhead said:

Actually a BR Black A class Metrovick would look very nice on a Woodhead style railway - something that could have hauled the trains between Guide Bridge - Manchster Central and Liverpool as a stop gap before the wires were (weren't in the end) extended.

I prefer the A class to the Deltic, it's got something about it.  Sorry to say that on a Deltic thread.

I know a man who will respray you an A into any livery you desire for a very good price... :)

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Thanks David. I cant take any credit for the design of these beasts, that goes to our CAD masters

I have a vision of ancient tonsured* fellows, secreted in monastic cells in the west of Ireland who have been practising their craft since the days of St Patrick.  They have certainly excelled in this instance.

Agree about Andy's photos too: they bring out the character of the model superbly.

*Celtic tonsure of course.

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, Flying Pig said:

I have a vision of ancient tonsured* fellows, secreted in monastic cells in the west of Ireland who have been practising their craft since the days of St Patrick.  They have certainly excelled in this instance.

Agree about Andy's photos too: they bring out the character of the model superbly.

*Celtic tonsure of course.

you have no idea how close to the truth that is! :lol:

• Like 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium

I am surprised nobody has asked yet but as you are now at the EP is there any chance we can find out how you got around the small radius curve not fouling the wheels against the body?

Not still secret surely ;)

Its interesting just from the engineering point of view.

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

I am surprised nobody has asked yet but as you are now at the EP is there any chance we can find out how you got around the small radius curve not fouling the wheels against the body?

Not still secret surely ;)

Its interesting just from the engineering point of view.

We're still actively working on this aspect through testing of the first EP so cannot fully confirm yet. But, when the decorated samples arrive we can go into more depth as we will have signed off on it by then. 

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, McC said:

To turn the question around - how do you think the EP looks in that regard?

I was wondering whether to raise this.

From Andy's brilliant pictures, it looks like the wheels are a little undersized; you can certainly see the wheel tops below the body, which is not prototypical. The bogie frames look a little lower too, certainly relative to the fuel tank tops. This is at odds with the original Cad renderings

However this could just be the assembly of this prototype model. And if this is the finished 'solution' imho I don't believe it should detract from what is otherwise one of the finest RTR models we have seen.

EDIT - it really looks at odds with the Cads, and I presume the 'solution' was designed into the Cads, so my conjecture above is probably just that, and related to the assembly of this EP. But yes, would be good to know more!

Edited by G-BOAF

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, G-BOAF said:

I was wondering whether to raise this.

From Andy's brilliant pictures, it looks like the wheels are a little undersized; you can certainly see the wheel tops below the body, which is not prototypical. The bogie frames look a little lower too, certainly relative to the fuel tank tops. This is at odds with the original Cad renderings

However this could just be the assembly of this prototype model. And if this is the finished 'solution' imho I don't believe it should detract from what is otherwise one of the finest RTR models we have seen.

EDIT - it really looks at odds with the Cads, and I presume the 'solution' was designed into the Cads, so my conjecture above is probably just that, and related to the assembly of this EP. But yes, would be good to know more!

Hi there,

As I had stated in the original announcement there are fettles to be done, including in this area. We have come up with what we feel is the best solution to give an accurate representation to our Deltic which is a very challenging locomotive to get right. I think when we have the decorated samples in and our testing is complete the results will be worth it.

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Really finding it hard to resist pushing the button.  If D9000 was included in late 90’s condition it would be easy.  At the moment I am trying to wait in the hope it makes batch 2, while edging closer and closer to buying one to renumber!

Edited by The Fatadder
  • Like 1