Accurascale Class 55 Deltic - 4mm scale

5 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

As I had stated in the original announcement there are fettles to be done, including in this area. We have come up with what we feel is the best solution to give an accurate representation to our Deltic which is a very challenging locomotive to get right...

Please 'break the mould' in yet another way and come out with what wheel diameter the OO model will have as supplied, and whether there is a potential fix for those wanting 14mm diameter wheels and prepared to have layout curves large enough that they won't grind their way through the body side.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Please 'break the mould' in yet another way and come out with what wheel diameter the OO model will have as supplied, and whether there is a potential fix for those wanting 14mm diameter wheels and prepared to have layout curves large enough that they won't grind their way through the body side.

It's in our minds to offer solutions, and we will have a full story on that when we're done with our testing, so bare with us for when we return from GETS next week :)

Cheers,

Fran

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, philiprporter said:

Saw this at the GETS today and it looks even better 'in the flesh' - its going to be amazing and I can't wait!

I have to agree, if that’s what it looks like naked, bring on the decorated samples.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 2

Clearly looking good but how do people feel comparing to images of the prototype in the area of the gap between the body and bogies? The model seems to have a gap too large in my opinion? It would be interesting for other opinions?

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, cs233 said:

Clearly looking good but how do people feel comparing to images of the prototype in the area of the gap between the body and bogies? The model seems to have a gap too large in my opinion? It would be interesting for other opinions?

Looking at the loco on display at Milton Keynes today the gap does seem a little more than originally shown. I think though that it is perhaps not helped by the light grey colour of the loco body, I don’t think it would be anywhere near as apparent with a painted darker coloured body. To be fair they have also said it’s a work in progress.

Otherwise it looks fantastic, for me they really seem to have captured the character of full size engines

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 11/10/2019 at 11:46, Flying Pig said:

I have a vision of ancient tonsured* fellows, secreted in monastic cells in the west of Ireland who have been practising their craft since the days of St Patrick.  They have certainly excelled in this instance.

Agree about Andy's photos too: they bring out the character of the model superbly.

*Celtic tonsure of course.

I suppose any errors remaining to be corrected  after the first EP would be the fault of Brother Cadfael...

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

Unless the model is going to be restricted to scale prototypical curves, then there are going to have to be compromises somewhere. 'We' have to accept that as 'we' are modellers who all too often expect models of express locomotives to go round curves tighter than would be found on a dock side, but at express speeds. The all too common unrealistic expectation is that they should also look and work perfectly just like the prototype without any compromise. :rolleyes:

• Agree 5

I just hope the nose of the Deltic has that outward rake.

As can be seen on number 2 in the last pic.

And going by the video of it leaving the shed, it looks vertically upright

Just saying ?

Edited by Ray M

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, cs233 said:

Good morning from a very wet Milton Keynes! Sorry I haven’t been able to respond, but it’s been a busy one at GETS. The gap is on our list as part of bogie fettling as I stated in our original blog post update. Things will look better by deco stage. Light grey body colours does accentuate it too mind.

1 hour ago, Ray M said:

I just hope the nose of the Deltic has that outward rake.

As can be seen on number 2 in the last pic.

And going by the video of it leaving the shed, it looks vertically upright

Just saying ?

The outward rake is there. We overlaid the model onto a pic and it’s correct. You can see it here in this pic below 

2157A9E8-227E-415B-9FF6-EF769D4C97AC.jpeg.4f247bd78fdbeba432f5bd436b2b5282.jpeg

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 12
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Fran, is that the builders plate moulded on the EP under the window, or is it attached after.

Only saying this as so many of them lost the plate during service and it would be a very difficult process for the modeller to removed without buggering up the model, would it be better if it were an etched add on?

Still loving the thing though......;)

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

Fran, is that the builders plate moulded on the EP under the window, or is it attached after.

Only saying this as so many of them lost the plate during service and it would be a very difficult process for the modeller to removed without buggering up the model, would it be better if it were an etched add on?

Still loving the thing though......;)

under review... :)

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Agree losing the builders plate from the tooling may be better.

whats the reason behind separate door tooling ? - will it be opening ?

Hi guys,

Yes, we’re looking at losing that molded plate too for obvious reasons.

The doors are separate to all the adding of handrails be that bit easier is all. It will not have opening doors.

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Good morning from a very wet Milton Keynes! Sorry I haven’t been able to respond, but it’s been a busy one at GETS. The gap is on our list as part of bogie fettling as I stated in our original blog post update. Things will look better by deco stage. Light grey body colours does accentuate it too mind.

The outward rake is there. We overlaid the model onto a pic and it’s correct. You can see it here in this pic below 

2157A9E8-227E-415B-9FF6-EF769D4C97AC.jpeg.4f247bd78fdbeba432f5bd436b2b5282.jpeg

Cheers!

Fran

Thanks Fran.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thats good to hear re the plates Fran - thank you

The original spec doesnt make mention of nameplates/crests although the assumption is I guess these will be supplied - so would hopefully be straightforwards to include etched worksplates. But ready fitted or not? Hold no fears to self fit them here but may not be the same everywhere - and a given loco may have lost worksplates part way through a livery period?

Cheers

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

Thats good to hear re the plates Fran - thank you

The original spec doesnt make mention of nameplates/crests although the assumption is I guess these will be supplied - so would hopefully be straightforwards to include etched worksplates. But ready fitted or not? Hold no fears to self fit them here but may not be the same everywhere - and a given loco may have lost worksplates part way through a livery period?

Hi Phil,

The Deltic specification includes

• Separately applied etched metal and high fidelity plastic detail parts, including grab handles, steps, wipers, nameplates, crests and more

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, McC said:

Hi Phil,

The Deltic specification includes

• Separately applied etched metal and high fidelity plastic detail parts, including grab handles, steps, wipers, nameplates, crests and more

Which is what made me question the seemingly moulded plates......:wacko:

But Fran (and the team) are on the case it appears :good_mini:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

Which is what made me question the seemingly moulded plates......:wacko:

But Fran (and the team) are on the case it appears :good_mini:

For some reason China put it into the mold, but it’s very easily dealt with. Plates will be user fitted to facilitate renaming/renumbering and avoid crooked fitting, unfiled etch witness marks and any sloppy excess glue from the factory (though I know deep down our factory would do an excellent job on fitting them!)

Cheers!

Fran

Edited by Accurascale Fran
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

...The doors are separate to all the adding of handrails be that bit easier is all. It will not have opening doors...

Am I the only loon thinking, 'as a separately fitted part that should make the once common sight of a Deltic in motion with cab door open that much easier to achieve'?

This gets better all the time doesn't it?

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
On 10/10/2019 at 20:15, AY Mod said:

We had a play today, sure there are revisions to be made but the shape is great and even though if hasn't got the production circuitry in it ran well handling some very iffy track. 683 grammes, that'll shift some metal.

A very impressive project.

Pity it isn't an O gauge one. You could then have tried it out on some really good track. ;)