Accurascale Class 55 Deltic - 4mm scale

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Am I the only loon thinking, 'as a separately fitted part that should make the once common sight of a Deltic in motion with cab door open that much easier to achieve'?

Nope, I thought the same but just wondering if I can Also replicate the flapping screen behind the driver at the same time........:D

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

8 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

For some reason China put it into the mold, but it’s very easily dealt with. Plates will be user fitted to facilitate renaming/renumbering and avoid crooked fitting, unfiled etch witness marks and any sloppy excess glue from the factory (though I know deep down our factory would do an excellent job on fitting them!)

Cheers!

Fran

That is great news as both mine ordered are due to be renumbered and renamed, will there be a printed name on the body (as per what Bachmann do) or just blank? The latter is preferred as it makes renaming to "Tulyar" for example easier and means I can order a third model from the initial batch.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, 37114 said:

That is great news as both mine ordered are due to be renumbered and renamed, will there be a printed name on the body (as per what Bachmann do) or just blank? The latter is preferred as it makes renaming to "Tulyar" for example easier and means I can order a third model from the initial batch.

hi there,

names will be printed so those who purchase locomotives but do not feel brave enough to attach nameplates can still have named locomotives. Will also help with locating and fitting of plates for those who do want to attach plates.

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 2

I've watched this project develop and for the record, been gazing at my beloved class 55 in total awe since the early 70s. So I want to add my voice to the positivity and excitement - the video and stills of the EP version in 'works grey' are nothing short of eye watering. Two examples from the lovely pre TOPS transition period (9021 in blue, D9014 in green with yellow nose) will soon be ordered. May I say one thing about the overall look? The various details throughout the magnificent length of this Deltic model are rightly being drooled over but to me, as long she looks like a Deltic in terms of overall shape it'll be job done. It's certainly not been done before. The shape of the body, the elusive curvature around nose, bonnet and windscreens look perfect. But key to me, is ensuring she sits low enough on the bogies. In the line up shot that has been on the Accurascale sight since the inception, the body/bogie proximity looks 'cock on', but in the new snaps by Andy York, the loco body looks a tad higher. All I ask is the body sits- or can be made to sit-  correctly and finally a model showing the full impression of the mixture of power, bulk and sleekness can live! What a model this can be..I fully believe Fran and team you're taking comments into account where possible and am sure you'll do a great job. All power to you.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, Colossus said:

But key to me, is ensuring she sits low enough on the bogies. In the line up shot that has been on the Accurascale sight since the inception, the body/bogie proximity looks 'cock on', but in the new snaps by Andy York, the loco body looks a tad higher. All I ask is the body sits- or can be made to sit-  correctly and finally a model showing the full impression of the mixture of power, bulk and sleekness can live! What a model this can be..I fully believe Fran and team you're taking comments into account where possible and am sure you'll do a great job. All power to you.

At risk of sounding too simplistic, but could a solution where by an optional washer was used to support the bogie in the chassis to add the extra height for narrow curves be used ?

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, adb968008 said:

At risk of sounding too simplistic, but could a solution where by an optional washer was used to support the bogie in the chassis to add the extra height for narrow curves be used ?

Hi John,

It was one of many, many ways of looking at things that we considered, but it was not practical from a manufacturing POV and was not going to work reliably.

As I have stated previously, bogie body gap is on our list of corrections.

Very few manufacturers show EPs at this stage as there is still a long way to go to the finished model the manufacturer is happy with. We like to show progress, but we do ask that the list of corrections we have outlined be remembered too. We do appreciate the feedback too of course, but as I have stated, it’s on the list. If something has a practical solution, we will find it, don’t worry! 

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 5

I don’t need a Deltic... I don’t need a Deltic...I don’t need Deltic.... if I say it enough maybe I’ll keep myself from hitting the buy button.

So far from what I can see it looks like it will be a gorgeous model when it hits production.

Stephen

• Agree 2
  • Funny 4

11 hours ago, sjgardiner said:

I don’t need a Deltic... I don’t need a Deltic...I don’t need Deltic.... 

Neither do I as they never ran on the line I'm modelling (albeit they did pass just a half mile away) but it hasn't stopped me ordering 3 :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

17 hours ago, johndon said:

Neither do I as they never ran on the line I'm modelling (albeit they did pass just a half mile away) but it hasn't stopped me ordering 3 :)

You’re not helping :P

They never ran in the country I’m modeling!! 

Stephen

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

On 15/10/2019 at 23:36, sjgardiner said:

I don’t need a Deltic... I don’t need a Deltic...I don’t need Deltic.... if I say it enough maybe I’ll keep myself from hitting the buy button.

So far from what I can see it looks like it will be a gorgeous model when it hits production.

Stephen

English Electric designed the prototype Deltic for the North American market. Sadly, North America wasn’t interested but if it had been, you would have had Deltics purring across the Canadian Shield and roaring over the Rockies. You could always claim to be putting things right. :D

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Its interesting the potential of a US tour for Deltic.

The UK was 20 years behind the US with mainline diesels, which were being not only mass produced but early classes being retired by 1955 in the US.

However the US was behind the game in power, mass producing 1500-2000 hp diesels, which were doubled, tripled, quadrupled headed and more was good business sense for Alco, GM and GE. By selling more locos, rather than less but more powerful ones.

As steam had just about been retired in the US, and 2nd gen diesels came on tap, it was 1965 before 3000hp diesels like GP40, U30B, and DL430 emerged, and were still in the grunt rather than sprint stakes for speed.

Air-travel was still pre-Boeing 707 (entered service in 1958) and Comet was grounded. US railroads were in massive passenger decline since 1950-57 as 70mph freeways competed against 50mph railroads.

Deltic could have been a proposition to offer 100mph services and arguably more successful in longer geographical stretches of distance to lines out west like DRGW, ATSF, UP,SP etc...

I wonder what spooked them out of it, having already built it, was it prolonged testing in the UK that distracted their eyes off the ball in the US ?.. certainly by 1961 they’d missed the window, but it seems there was a 7/8 year window which if they had tried in the US could have perhaps resulted in a few hundred orders... GM only stopped building 2250hp E9s in 1964... perhaps Deltics shape didnt help it.. it was afterall a 20 year old form factor which was being faded out stateside...

maybe I might put one of my old Bachmann class 55’s into ATSF or DRGW livery ;-) when the Accurascalemodel is released.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

On 17/10/2019 at 22:27, atom3624 said:

Imagine how much THAT would weigh !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!     :rolleyes:

Al.

I can see it now "..... failed to stop my O gauge loco in time tonight on my garden layout. It hit the buffers then went crashing through the garden shed and finally stopped in my neighbours garage. He is not happy now as his car got written off. Claims it is my fault as the Deltic does not have car insurance...."

Edited by JSpencer
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, JSpencer said:

I can it now "..... failed to stop my O gauge loco in time tonight on my garden layout. It hit the buffers then went crashing through the garden shed and finally stopped in my neighbours garage. He is not happy now as his car got written off. Claims it is my fault as the Deltic does not have car insurance...."

I assume your running 1:1 scale in the garden? :lol:

• Funny 3

Apologies if this has been discussed previously, but I felt it better to ask direct than go through all 37 pages to check! 

Regarding D9012; the features list states the loco is steam heated (which, to my limited knowledge, is correct) but the artwork of the end of the loco shows an ETH plug. Can someone please confirm the condition of the model? 

Cheers

James

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, jamesC37LG said:

Apologies if this has been discussed previously, but I felt it better to ask direct than go through all 37 pages to check! 

Regarding D9012; the features list states the loco is steam heated (which, to my limited knowledge, is correct) but the artwork of the end of the loco shows an ETH plug. Can someone please confirm the condition of the model? 

Cheers

James

hi James

correct it’s steam

heated. The artwork at present is indicative of livery rather than detailing. We’ll be sharing final artwork and decorated samples in the coming weeks as well as fully working electronics. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, 9402 Fredrick said:

When should we expect to see livery samples of these?

We should see them in December, our tooling amendments from a snag list are currently under way, so they will come first. Once completed we we see them on decoration samples.

Cheers!

Fran

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...