Accurascale Class 55 Deltic - 4mm scale

At the end of the day the locomotive has to be right. Thankyou for the honest update and for sharing this with us as soon as it became evident that there were going to be the inevitable delays due to retool and adjustments. It just gives me time to recover my bank account and hopefully look forward to a lovely Christmas present this year.

Will the class 37 likely be on schedule for early to mid 2021 due to this delay on the 55 ?

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Krieghoff said:

At the end of the day the locomotive has to be right. Thankyou for the honest update and for sharing this with us as soon as it became evident that there were going to be the inevitable delays due to retool and adjustments. It just gives me time to recover my bank account and hopefully look forward to a lovely Christmas present this year.

Will the class 37 likely be on schedule for early to mid 2021 due to this delay on the 55 ?

Hi Krieghoff,

As things stand it should not impact on the other locos as they are being made in one of the largest factories in China and they can handle multiple locomotives at a time. Class 37 at this moment is still on course.

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi Krieghoff,

As things stand it should not impact on the other locos as they are being made in one of the largest factories in China and they can handle multiple locomotives at a time. Class 37 at this moment is still on course.

Cheers!

Fran

Is there any hope of adding what time period each of the livery variants is suited to on the website please?  My chequebook is poised, but I don't want to order one that didn't run in the period that interests me....

Thanks

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
56 minutes ago, polybear said:

Is there any hope of adding what time period each of the livery variants is suited to on the website please?  My chequebook is poised, but I don't want to order one that didn't run in the period that interests me....

Thanks

Hi Polybear,

We will look into it for sure, but in the meantime I have uploaded them for you in the Class 37 thread here: 

Cheers!

Fran

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Fran

Thanks for the update. I am still not buying one until St Paddy appears in green with a 34G yella panel. Seriously I do not need one for my layout but I would be tempted with my favorite form my spotting days.

Last February I spoke with Fran and Patrick on their stand at Glasgow and discussed what my eldest had pointed out about the curvature of the cant rail grills. I was not dismissed like some manufacturers have done but thanked for taking time to express my daughter's opinion. I am pleased to see that one of the latest changes is to those grills. I do not know if was because I spoke to them or not. They were even polite enough not to laugh at my extended Lima model ( well until I walked away). It is nice to converse with manufacturers who do not dismiss potential customers and want to get their product right.

• Like 8
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

1177600019_AYDelticpic1.jpg.9239f267489f44620bc02c0e2ba48ff5.jpg

Deltic Update!

Work on the Class 55 Deltics has been ongoing since we showed you the first engineering prototype in October. We liked a lot, but other parts we did not like so much. This has meant that some parts have been redesigned and retooled as we want to make the best Deltic model there has been. Unfortunately this has resulted in a delay in delivery until November 2020.

Check out our web update for more information on what we have been working on and future project milestones. We apologise for this delay, but we want it to be right.

More info: https://accurascale.co.uk/blogs/news/deltic-update-january-2020

Thanks,

Fran (on behalf of Accurascale team) 

Looks mighty impressive........ one small thing that stands out is the lower nose corner grab rails could be closer in to the nose ends, similar to the higher up ones.  If I recall correctly this was already on the to do "snagging" list.............

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, tractor_37260 said:

Looks mighty impressive........ one small thing that stands out is the lower nose corner grab rails could be closer in to the nose ends, similar to the higher up ones.  If I recall correctly this was already on the to do "snagging" list.............

It sure is on the snagging list! It looks a bit odd in current position. :) 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I’m a little relieved that there’s a delay as it gives me more time to save up.  I’ve ordered the Rails special of D9009 with DCC and sound, so if I know your being critical of the model, then I know it will be stunning.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I've finally Caved, two firsts today my first Accurascale model (no bad thing) and my first DCC sound! As I’m building Rothley in the 50’s 60’s to my knowledge the 55 never ran on the GCR. I went by name. So Nimbus it is. 

• Thanks 1

Model is looking fantastic in my opinion.

Did we get to the bottom of how it will get around corners? I seem to remember (BICBW) that there were three choices:

• Distort the nose shape like the Heljan DP2. What I can see of the images this has not been done.
  • Use undersize wheels. Is this what was done with the Bachmann prototype Deltic?
  • Increase the ride height. Is this what Bachmann did with the production Deltics?

Of the three, I think the Bachmann prototype solution looks the best but I would be very interested to know how Accurascale have tackled it.

12 minutes ago, Rob F said:
  • Distort the nose shape like the Heljan DP2. What I can see of the images this has not been done.
  • Use undersize wheels. Is this what was done with the Bachmann prototype Deltic?
  • Increase the ride height. Is this what Bachmann did with the production Deltics?

Accurascale have taken a 4th route with their tungsten chassis block:

• Make the model so heavy that sharp curves will instantly straighten out as soon as the loco hits them
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, Rob F said:

Model is looking fantastic in my opinion.

Did we get to the bottom of how it will get around corners? I seem to remember (BICBW) that there were three choices:

Of the three, I think the Bachmann prototype solution looks the best but I would be very interested to know how Accurascale have tackled it.

Hi Rob,

We have indeed taken option B as it is the only workable solution to keep the body shape prototypical and allow the navigation of 2nd radius curves minimum. Prototype sized wheels can be fitted but you are looking at being limited to 4th radius curves at the very least. Unfortunately there isnt enough layouts out there with such generous curvature to launch a mass market model and have it succeed from a sales POV, so we had to offer a workable compromise. Since so much of the wheel is behind the bodywork on the real things however it's barely noticeable on the model, but can be changed if you have generous curves and the desire to of course!

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

1 minute ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi Rob,

We have indeed taken option B as it is the only workable solution to keep the body shape prototypical and allow the navigation of 2nd radius curves minimum. Prototype sized wheels can be fitted but you are looking at being limited to 4th radius curves at the very least. Unfortunately there isnt enough layouts out there with such generous curvature to launch a mass market model and have it succeed from a sales POV, so we had to offer a workable compromise. Since so much of the wheel is behind the bodywork on the real things however it's barely noticeable on the model, but can be changed if you have generous curves and the desire to of course!

Cheers!

Fran

Fran

I think you have made the right choice. Compromises are inevitable at times so it is a case of finding the best one. Looking forward to owning one of these.

Rob

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

I agree with the bogie compromise, least worst option. Out of interest, if one fits full size wheels (which I won't be as I have second radius), how does one go about adjusting the axle centres, or is this just a case of adjusting bearing thickness?

Shame about the delay, 9 months does seem excessive for what appears to be a 3 months delay for mechanical adjustments across chinese new year?

Also wasn't the builders plate going to be removed from the body tool moulding?

Looks fab, and totally agree with getting it as right as it can be. This will be a fantastic beast!

Edited by G-BOAF

I'd expect that it is more significant changes than wheels or bearings. Undersized wheels whilst maintaining realistic ride height would mean the wheels are sat too low in the bogies. So "accurate" wheels would need the axles packing up to maintain an accurate ride height.

I'd definitely say the right choice though.

But that leads to another question... Does the 37 have undersized wheels, and if not could a 37 bogie work to make a prototypical wheel sized 55?

Unless I have misunderstood based on Frans reply

Edited by TomScrut
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, G-BOAF said:

I agree with the bogie compromise, least worst option. Out of interest, if one fits full size wheels (which I won't be as I have second radius), how does one go about adjusting the axle centres, or is this just a case of adjusting bearing thickness?

Shame about the delay, 9 months does seem excessive for what appears to be a 3 months delay for mechanical adjustments across chinese new year?

Also wasn't the builders plate going to be removed from the body tool moulding?

Looks fab, and totally agree with getting it as right as it can be. This will be a fantastic beast!

Hi there,

Regarding wheel replacement, it’s not something we have attempted, we can just do resistance testing with CAD. When it comes to doing any sort of replacement of this nature it will be down to the end user to experiment and adjust.

I understand where you are coming from regarding time but there are other factors to consider including production slots, retooling of parts and testing with new parts. All this takes time too.

The builders plate indeed being removed and this will be apparent on decoration samples. 

Many thanks for your kind words, we’re really looking forward to them too!

Cheers!

Fran

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

I'd expect that it is more significant changes than wheels or bearings. Undersized wheels whilst maintaining realistic ride height would mean the wheels are sat too low in the bogies. So "accurate" wheels would need the axles packing up to maintain an accurate ride height.

I'd definitely say the right choice though.

But that leads to another question... Does the 37 have undersized wheels, and if not could a 37 bogie work to make a prototypical wheel sized 55?

Hi Tom,

The body does not intrude on bogie turning anywhere near as bad in the 37 as it does on a Deltic with its body taper, so wheels can be a more prototypical diameter. It’s the unique shape of the Deltic which is the issue.

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Just now, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi Tom,

The body does not intrude on bogie turning anywhere near as bad in the 37 as it does on a Deltic with its body taper, so wheels can be a more prototypical diameter. It’s the unique shape of the Deltic which is the issue.

Cheers!

Fran

I thought that would be the case. But does that mean the bogies are different and therefore could be swapped to give more realistic wheels in the 55? Not that id be trying it!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, TomScrut said:

I thought that would be the case. But does that mean the bogies are different and therefore could be swapped to give more realistic wheels in the 55? Not that id be trying it!

They could well be compatible actually. We will know more when the 37 is tooled. Interesting idea! Leave that one with us.

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1