Accurascale Class 55 Deltic - 4mm scale

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi Steve,

We looked into the raising the body on curves and it was not practical from a manufacturing point of view or operationally. We did push hard for it, but was a non-runner. I guess what I have learned from this is that we probably should not be as open and transparent as we have been on RMWeb and elsewhere, and just not discuss anything until its ready. It may have given some false hope in some quarters which was not my intention. Lesson learned here I guess.

Cheers!

Fran

Tilting is one thing, fighting gravity with a cam system raising a heavy tungsten body is very much another. Glad you tried though :)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

32 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

No, no, no! Above all, continue to be open and transparent! It was very interesting to learn that raising the body on curves was tried. Now I know that it was tried and wasn’t practicable, I’m entirely reconciled to the solution you’ve chosen. Following the project through RMweb is one of the pleasures of the project; please keep it going, Fran!

Agreed!! Accurascale have been such a breath of fresh air with being open and transparent - please don't stop Fran!!! 

• Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Likewise have to agree this pragmatic approach is the best compromise - and all our models have compromise!

Just a thought in case any of us want to swap for full sized wheels .... could you offer them as drop in replacements?

Cheers

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, Phil Bullock said:

Likewise have to agree this pragmatic approach is the best compromise - and all our models have compromise!

Just a thought in case any of us want to swap for full sized wheels .... could you offer them as drop in replacements?

Cheers

We are looking into that Phil!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• RMweb Gold
59 minutes ago, RedgateModels said:

Tilting is one thing, fighting gravity with a cam system raising a heavy tungsten body is very much another. Glad you tried though :)

The engineering Prototype clocked in at just over 750g, which didn't help any 'cam system' plans :) We've put it on a slight diet for the forthcoming decorated, working samples.

Edited by McC
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 1

2 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi Steve,

We looked into the raising the body on curves and it was not practical from a manufacturing point of view or operationally. We did push hard for it, but was a non-runner. I guess what I have learned from this is that we probably should not be as open and transparent as we have been on RMWeb and elsewhere, and just not discuss anything until its ready. It may have given some false hope in some quarters which was not my intention. Lesson learned here I guess.

Cheers!

Fran

Thanks for the reply Fran.

Please do not take my post as an expression of disappointment, I was genuinely curious. Your openness has been one of the best things to happen to railway modelling for years, the fact that we are having this discussion proves that -I can't imagine many (any?) other manufacturers discussing the details of their development process. Please keep it coming, mistakes, blind alleys, corrections and all.

Thanks

Steve

• Agree 5
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Frond said:

Thanks for the reply Fran.

Please do not take my post as an expression of disappointment, I was genuinely curious. Your openness has been one of the best things to happen to railway modelling for years, the fact that we are having this discussion proves that -I can't imagine many (any?) other manufacturers discussing the details of their development process. Please keep it coming, mistakes, blind alleys, corrections and all.

Thanks

Steve

Hi Steve,

I didn't, don't worry, and we will continue to engage. We do appreciate the feedback and we are glad members enjoy engaging with us.

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, McC said:

The engineering Prototype clocked in at just over 750g, which didn't help any 'cam system' plans :) We've put it on a slight diet for the forthcoming decorated, working samples.

Removed the crew eh? :lol:

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, McC said:

750g... you did specify that the coaches it was supposed to pull were also model railway coaches not real ones.

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

750g... you did specify that the coaches it was supposed to pull were also model railway coaches not real ones.

Needless to say it could pull a rake of 30 brass coaches without breaking a sweat :)

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

I quite like the class 50s in GBRF livery. Wonder what a deltic would look like in those colours?  I suspect you are not going to produce one!

PS I do have a large logo deltic, not sure it suits it.

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, ColinK said:

I quite like the class 50s in GBRF livery. Wonder what a deltic would look like in those colours?  I suspect you are not going to produce one!

PS I do have a large logo deltic, not sure it suits it.

That's our April Fools Day prank sorted, thanks Colin! :) 

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

On 24/01/2020 at 11:51, Phil Bullock said:

Cheers

Just a thought. Larger wheels might cause trouble with the couplings being raised too high. The hook on a coach might bang into the bar on the loco instead of gliding up over it to engage.

On 24/01/2020 at 11:51, Phil Bullock said:

Cheers

As mentioned in the previous post the larger wheels would cause bigger problems than the size of the wheels not being prototypical is a problem to begin with! It would probably need a different bogie to compensate for the raised CL of the axle required to accommodate the larger wheels whilst keeping ride height the same. That's why I suggested the 37 bogie.

• Agree 1

I think the idea of drop in wheel sets for the 55 is an excellent idea. Personally I would love to run the full size wheel set as I have the room on my layout to accommodate a 4th radius. Having the opportunity to model this accurately is a real positive and making them available would be excellent.  Regarding transparency Fran...............keep it going. I appreciate sometime for business reasons there may be specific issues that cant be brought to the forum but please keep us in the lop as much as possible. It adds to the historical significance of the model and keeps us mere mortals informed and updated.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

The wheel size/coupling height/axle centre issue depends on the diameter reduction required to accomodate 2nd radius curves I guess... both the Deltic and 37 run on 3'9" wheels which should be 15.25mm diameter but presumably its the flange that fouls and presumably the depth of that remains constant regardless of wheel diameter - so if flange depth measures 1mm then that is about 6.6% of the total diameter so any reduction in wheel diameter has to be proportionally greater to achieve the desired effect to avoid fouling....

How much do you have to shrink the wheels gentlemen - and will axle centres still align with axlebox centres? 

Cheers

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Phil Bullock said:

The wheel size/coupling height/axle centre issue depends on the diameter reduction required to accomodate 2nd radius curves I guess... both the Deltic and 37 run on 3'9" wheels which should be 15.25mm diameter but presumably its the flange that fouls and presumably the depth of that remains constant regardless of wheel diameter - so if flange depth measures 1mm then that is about 6.6% of the total diameter so any reduction in wheel diameter has to be proportionally greater to achieve the desired effect to avoid fouling....

How much do you have to shrink the wheels gentlemen - and will axle centres still align with axlebox centres? 

Cheers

Hi Phil,

Axleboxes do indeed line up with axle centres. Final size still being experimented with, but very similar to the DP1 model.

Cheers!

Fran

• Thanks 1

How are you coping with that? Simply reducing wheel size or lowering the axle box on the bogie/lowering the bogie frame?

I ask because if you need (for example) 1mm at the top for clearance then if just reducing wheel size you'd lose 2mm in wheel diameter and 1mm in ride height. Dropping the axle box/bogie frame you would have to move it by 0.5mm and only lose 1mm in wheel diameter and no ride height loss. Likewise if you dropped axle centre vs bogie/axle box. Or do all three (lower bogie, lower box on bogie and offset axle centre) by 0.17mm it would give you a mm at the top!

Edited by TomScrut

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

How are you coping with that? Simply reducing wheel size or lowering the axle box on the bogie/lowering the bogie frame?

I ask because if you need (for example) 1mm at the top for clearance then if just reducing wheel size you'd lose 2mm in wheel diameter and 1mm in ride height. Dropping the axle box/bogie frame you would have to move it by 0.5mm and only lose 1mm in wheel diameter and no ride height loss. Likewise if you dropped axle centre vs bogie/axle box. Or do all three (lower bogie, lower box on bogie and offset axle centre) by 0.17mm it would give you a mm at the top!

Hi Tom,

I would have to confirm with our engineer in the East and get back to you. Unfortunately it’s CNY at the moment so likely to be a few weeks!

Cheers!

Fran

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, TomScrut said:

Maybe they could make the outer frames adjustable with two fixing points, something like the pins and lugs which the Heljan 7mm Locos get to attach the side frames of the bogies?

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, jools1959 said:

With the health scare in China, is it having any knock on effects to the Deltic or any other of your production runs?

Four of our factories are about 1800km from the outbreak and one is about 1000km. At the moment they are all shut down for Chinese New Year which has just been extended by one week by the government. 

overall we’ve factored in a generous buffer for New Year and don’t expect any impact to timelines at this time. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, McC said:

Four of our factories are about 1800km from the outbreak and one is about 1000km. At the moment they are all shut down for Chinese New Year which has just been extended by one week by the government. 

overall we’ve factored in a generous buffer for New Year and don’t expect any impact to timelines at this time. 

That’s good to know.