Accurascale Class 55 Deltic - 4mm scale

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, owentherail said:

I'm thinking of setting some sort of savings plan as to pay for 4 Deltics in one go mite be tough 

Effectively what I do, I ordered five sound locos (2 55s, 3 37s) and just send a bit to Accurascale each month so they are paid for before they are due. Ok, no interest earned, but that is almost no different to my savings account these days. 

Roy

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, w124bob said:

Quite happy to wait for my 9021, more time to assemble a decent train. Just out of interest which was the last Deltic in green? Both 06 and 14  got to early 1969 in green with dual brakes and full yellow ends but no eth. I can feel a second pre order coming on (wallet runs from room).

14 was last, not getting blue until Nov 1969. 17 was 2nd last in Oct, and 5 before that in August.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, stovepipe said:

14 was last, not getting blue until Nov 1969. 17 was 2nd last in Oct, and 5 before that in August.

Remember 14 in green being my first deltic sighting at the Cross April 69 ... happy days! Gone for KOSB in green, happy to wait until all is correct, thanks to the team for all the efforts going in to make this a definitive model! 

16 hours ago, Flying Pig said:

Good to see pains being taken:  if any class deserves to be got right it's this one and I'm sure it will be worth the wait.  I am impatient to see the livery samples though as endless drooling over prototype photos still hasn't brought me to a decision over which of the darn things to buy* (sadly can't stretch to more than one before anybody suggests it).   

*Wouldn't have been the hideously empurpled one, even if you hadn't built it to 00 proportions :D

I’m in no doubt. I have the “hideously empurpled one” on order and a likely second chosen, though not ordered. Likewise, I have selected a 37. My problem Is which 92(s) to choose. A very pleasant dilemma.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

I’m in no doubt. I have the “hideously empurpled one” on order and a likely second chosen, though not ordered

There's really no accounting for taste but perhaps your other choice makes up for it ;)

I'm torn between aesthetics (green) and nostalgia (blue).  A particular memory tugs me towards an FP white cab which teenage me thought was the bees knees, but somehow it doesn't quite do it for me now I'm old and cynical.  I shall have to sit in a corner and meditate on the old Sanskrit mantra Paap Vrum until enlightenment dawns.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

I’m in no doubt. I have the “hideously empurpled one” on order and a likely second chosen, though not ordered. Likewise, I have selected a 37. My problem Is which 92(s) to choose. A very pleasant dilemma.

5 minutes ago, Flying Pig said:

There's really no accounting for taste but perhaps your other choice makes up for it ;)

I'm torn between aesthetics (green) and nostalgia (blue).  A particular memory tugs me towards an FP white cab which teenage me thought was the bees knees, but somehow it doesn't quite do it for me now I'm old and cynical.  I shall have to sit in a corner and meditate on the old Sanskrit mantra Paap Vrum until enlightenment dawns.

What I find most interesting is that of all the talk of the purple endowed one being called out as hideous etc. (personally I love it) it is the 2nd best seller on the list and has been at the top of the charts since the announcement went on sale, see below;

image.png.f4ec986172ed60e90409294f340d3529.png

I think you're all closet 'Gordon's' :jester:

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Flying Pig said:

There is indeed no accounting for taste. The plain blue emphasised the slab-sidedness of the beasts in contrast to the longitudinal strip on the green and purple. My second choice is D9004 because I like to get back to the original if I can and because no yellow paint had been splashed on its nose. It helps too that it contrasts with the two I already have.

15 minutes ago, classy52 said:

Salutations from a non-closet and unrepentant Gorgon Gordon! :D

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, classy52 said:

What I find most interesting is that of all the talk of the purple endowed one being called out as hideous etc. (personally I love it) it is the 2nd best seller on the list and has been at the top of the charts since the announcement went on sale, see below;

I think this goes back to what I have recently posted in another thread. There are a significant number of collectors who don't run their locos - here we see the one-off and unusual liveries being very popular. Just look at the pictures we have seen posted of display cabinets full of  Class 66s in all sorts of liveries.

Roy

• Agree 3

8 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

I think this goes back to what I have recently posted in another thread. There are a significant number of collectors who don't run their locos - here we see the one-off and unusual liveries being very popular. Just look at the pictures we have seen posted of display cabinets full of  Class 66s in all sorts of liveries.

Roy

That's like buying a car, putting it in the garage, and closing the door.

You can open the door and take a look, even touch it perhaps ... like putting a box on a shelf, then lifting it off occasionally to look at.

Pity, but each to their own.

Al.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

17 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

Just look at the pictures we have seen posted of display cabinets full of  Class 66s in all sorts of liveries.

Whilst I don't doubt a lot of locos don't get run, I'd expect the cabinets also are useful for storing locos when more locos exist than what can fit on the layout without the hassle of boxing, dust, etc. and enabling them to be looked at whenever as well.

I expect I'll probably invest in a cabinet at some point with the points above in mind. At the moment excess stock goes onto a shelf out of sight which doesn't do them justice

Edited by TomScrut
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

That's like buying a car, putting it in the garage, and closing the door.

You can open the door and take a look, even touch it perhaps ... like putting a box on a shelf, then lifting it off occasionally to look at.

Pity, but each to their own.

Al.

I don’t have an issue with it, as discussed before we are all collectors of sorts, buying more than we need!

Without collectors, more models nay not be viable. 

Roy

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• 1 month later...

Hi Fran,

I’m just completing an 0 gauge 55017 model & my attention has been drawn to the fact that one of the Durham Light Infantry’s nameplates was slightly off centre ! Not sure which particular side of the loco  or whether Accurascale want to replicate this on their model ? Appears the loco had the nameplate incorrectly positioned in both green & blue livery eras. Kind Regards

74F36D49-2CB4-472B-9CCC-5196A18FB4BB.png

D5F5DA6B-CA49-4618-9E88-1FF1475C37CB.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

There’s a point  -  are the models being supplied with transfers over which the purchaser can apply etched plates that may or may not being supplied with the model ? Thankyou. Really looking to the painted samples of these models then the genuine articles next Spring.

Edited by DLIBOD17

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, DLIBOD17 said:

Hi Fran,

I’m just completing an 0 gauge 55017 model & my attention has been drawn to the fact that one of the Durham Light Infantry’s nameplates was slightly off centre ! Not sure which particular side of the loco  or whether Accurascale want to replicate this on their model ? Appears the loco had the nameplate incorrectly positioned in both green & blue livery eras. Kind Regards

74F36D49-2CB4-472B-9CCC-5196A18FB4BB.png

D5F5DA6B-CA49-4618-9E88-1FF1475C37CB.jpeg

Hi @DLIBOD17,

Many thanks for sending that on! Would you believe it is something we only noticed ourselves the other day? Gareth was only talking about it earlier in the week and something we will be tweaking our artwork to reflect. Excellent spot and many thanks for pointing it out!

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1