Accurascale Class 55 Deltic - 4mm scale

2 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

Problem is it’s easy to get them rotating, as in the Hornby 31......but they rotate so fast you cannot see them anyway, they need to rotate very slowly, as if they are just ticking over and cooling down.......managed to do that on all my Heljan 7mm diesels but it took some doing.

If you wanted to be a total pedant you could have pointed out that the pairs of fans rotate at different speeds in real life too.....

But then pedantry for the sake of it is, well, you know..... ;-)

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, G-BOAF said:

Presumably given servo-operated pantographs, there is now the technology for rotating roof fans... Though I'm guessing the mechanics might need to be more robust than a short-burst pantograph system

Really you want the fans powered by a separate motor, somehow tied in with the function for the roof fan sound. That is beyond the direct capabilities of the current decoders without bringing in relay some power switching. You are looking at about 100mA max on the function outputs today. 

I have been toying with putting such a motor in my Hornby Class 56. As yet, I haven't sorted out a) how to power it and b) a small enough motor with a sensible speed.

Are we likely to see decoders support this sort of thing? Maybe one day, but I would put my money on having them doing two speakers on different channels first so you an separate high and low  frequency sounds to appropriate speakers.

Roy

• RMweb Gold

We actually looked into this in the early days (servo fans), but it would've added another £40+ to the price IIRC, so we abandoned the idea as well as it being quite complex for durability. We have to keep the price somewhat competitive unfortunately. The belt driven fans arent prototypical so we decided against them. 

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 8
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

Are we likely to see decoders support this sort of thing? Maybe one day, but I would put my money on having them doing two speakers on different channels first so you an separate high and low  frequency sounds to appropriate speakers.

The LokSound V5 supports this - it's how we have two different speakers in the Class 55.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, McC said:

The LokSound V5 supports this - it's how we have two different speakers in the Class 55.

But it’s two speakers driven on the same channel, not two speakers on different channels isn't it?  I am sure there is only one pair of speaker pads on a V5 meaning all sounds go to both speakers. With two channels you could choose to have the horn sound on one speaker, and the engine on another.

Roy 

Edited by Roy Langridge

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

But its two speakers driven on the same channel, not two speakers on different channels isn't it?  I am sure there is only one pair of speaker pads on a V5 meaning all sounds go to both speakers. With two channels you could choose to have the horn sound on one speaker, and the engine on another.

Roy 

There are dedicated speaker connections on the board for two physical speakers for the O gauge version, the OO LokSound uses its onboard 3W amp and 'smarts' to run multi-speakers where each speaker responds to it's native frequencies. Our circuit boards are also designed by ESU to ensure these configurations run perfectly.

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

Really you want the fans powered by a separate motor, somehow tied in with the function for the roof fan sound. That is beyond the direct capabilities of the current decoders without bringing in relay some power switching. You are looking at about 100mA max on the function outputs today. 

Roy

As far as I remember I read somewhere of someone doing this but doubling up two function outputs and assigning them the same Function key. 

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, BR Blue said:

As far as I remember I read somewhere of someone doing this but doubling up two function outputs and assigning them the same Function key. 

That is an interesting approach, but not one I think I would risk. Motors draw a lot of power as they start, even if there is a fraction of a second difference in the propogation delay of the function states changing, all that power will be drawn on one function.

Roy

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Well TBH I took the fan drive out of my Hornby 31 as you couldn’t really see it as it only worked when the thing was moving past you on the track and it is such a small detail through the mesh and I wanted the space for a big speaker, and besides it is quite prototypical to have the fan stationary while the Loco is moving as well, my 7mm Heljan Locos are that much bigger (obviously) that it is worth making the fans move at a rate that you can actually see that rather than a invisible blur, might as well not be there......I think AS reasoning is a good one, they are such a small detail as to make an extra £30-40 for the “detail” just isn’t worth it.

As an aside, I never had any issues with the Hornby fan mechanism jamming or not working either, though I did have one that got quite “squeally”.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

Really you want the fans powered by a separate motor, somehow tied in with the function for the roof fan sound.

The Heljan 7mm diesels have separate motors for the fans, controlled with a variable pot which is usually set from the factory at the setting of “manic high speed crazy person” and has the noise to go with it :lol: it’s the main reason I adjusted the speed of the Heljan fans to be nice and slow so you could actually see them rotating and not drown out the sound from the sound chip, those Heljan fan mechanisms can be that loud!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, boxbrownie said:

The Heljan 7mm diesels have separate motors for the fans, controlled with a variable pot which is usually set from the factory at the setting of “manic high speed crazy person” and has the noise to go with it :lol: it’s the main reason I adjusted the speed of the Heljan fans to be nice and slow so you could actually see them rotating and not drown out the sound from the sound chip, those Heljan fan mechanisms can be that loud!

Fans on real engines are darn load too. Used to make me jump when the fan kicked in on a 37. 

Roy

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

Fans on real engines are darn load too. Used to make me jump when the fan kicked in on a 37. 

Roy

Aha but were you leaning over the top of the Loco trying to see the fans rotate at the time? :lol:

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, The Black Hat said:

Was I right in reading somewhere its not long till these are here?

decorated final samples are in hand and delivery still for Q3

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning. 

Can I just confirm it’s Q3. Last I heard a delivery of Q2 was expected. It’s not a problem, just the statement “still for Q3” makes me wonder if it’s a typo.

Several planned arrivals around Q2 and Q3 including your sound fitted 37s and 55s means I may have to use some “creative accounting”. Good job dealing with household finances is my responsibility.

Really looking forward to them when they arrive.

Thanks

PJ10

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, PJ10 said:

Morning. 

Can I just confirm it’s Q3. Last I heard a delivery of Q2 was expected. It’s not a problem, just the statement “still for Q3” makes me wonder if it’s a typo.

Several planned arrivals around Q2 and Q3 including your sound fitted 37s and 55s means I may have to use some “creative accounting”. Good job dealing with household finances is my responsibility.

Really looking forward to them when they arrive.

Thanks

PJ10

Hi @PJ10,

It looks like it will be very late Q2/early Q3, so still not too far off. We will certainly know more after CNY ends and the factroy reopens. 

Cheers!

Fran

• Thanks 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi @PJ10,

It looks like it will be very late Q2/early Q3, so still not too far off. We will certainly know more after CNY ends and the factroy reopens. 

Cheers!

Fran

Could you be in the position that the class 37, 55 and 92 all arrive at the same time as they are all (I think) slated for Q3? How am I going to hide that box from the wife it will be huge??

cheers

mark

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

I would have thought (hoped) that given it was started and announced first, the Deltic would arrive first.

I would also potentially like to buy a 37 but won't be able to afford it at the same time as a Sound Deltic...!

Deltic will arrive first, but as 37 didn't suffer the same learning curve delays, it has caught up quite a bit. We'll do our best to stagger arrivals at least a few weeks apart! (We also offer flexible instalment options)

• Thanks 1