Accurascale Class 55 Deltic - 4mm scale

On 05/02/2021 at 16:35, Accurascale Fran said:

Couple more shots...

824227170_Accurascale9016Porterbrook-7.jpg.8e6e2c57ba255cbd0bb01d9ab56ce34c.jpg

242147965_Accurascale9016Porterbrook-6.jpg.743655a3b68628a98fd5988cf0112af1.jpg

Cheers!

Fran

Fran, two further questions a day after the initial 'wow'

First, will the body/roofline colour will be higher on the production versions? - the slope downwards of the cantrail/interface line between the cab doors and the roof grills is not correct It shoudl be a straight line all the way across.

Second, the incredable etched front window frames appear to be showing too much 'tab' on the top edge (and conversely a little to much material bent out of hte way on the bottom edge). Can the tabs be better shaped without misaligning the actual position of the etched frame relative to its correct position?

Edited by G-BOAF
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Not sure if anyone else mentioned it, but it needs a few ohle flashes by the sides of the uppercab doors.

I assume builders plates/ shed codes are in the bits bag ?

i noticed the rosco plate on the bogie... nice touch.

one last request, could any “bits” be in a mini ziplock or other resealable bag.. I like to add bits occasionally, but breaking the seal of the parts bag loses its value, not to mention the bits.

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, 'CHARD said:

I have trepidation asking this, but how has the issue of wheel diameter on curves been addressed?  Is the loco slightly on its toes?  

I think that was answered way back up thread, couldn't find it but I am 99% certain it is there.

Roy

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, 'CHARD said:

I have trepidation asking this, but how has the issue of wheel diameter on curves been addressed?  Is the loco slightly on its toes?  

Hi ‘Chard,

As we explained when EP1 debuted we are taking the same approach as the NRM DP1 model. This allows the locos meet the industry demands of negotiating R2 curves.

We’re aware of the cantrail stripe and purple band not extending high enough on this sample and can assure you all the production variant will be corrected. This is why we get the painted samples after all.

Cheers!

Fran

Edited by Accurascale Fran
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi ‘Chard,

As we explained when EP1 debuted we are taking the same approach as the NRM DP1 model. This allows the locos meet the industry demands of negotiating R2 curves.

Cheers!

Fran

Not familiar with the DP1 solution, any chance of a link to the place, save dredging through every page for those who are not familiar?

On 22/01/2020 at 13:42, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi Rob,

We have indeed taken option B as it is the only workable solution to keep the body shape prototypical and allow the navigation of 2nd radius curves minimum. Prototype sized wheels can be fitted but you are looking at being limited to 4th radius curves at the very least. Unfortunately there isnt enough layouts out there with such generous curvature to launch a mass market model and have it succeed from a sales POV, so we had to offer a workable compromise. Since so much of the wheel is behind the bodywork on the real things however it's barely noticeable on the model, but can be changed if you have generous curves and the desire to of course!

Cheers!

Fran

This is from page 41 if you want to read the rest. Essentially the wheels are undersized by a little bit.

Edited by ac1874
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

Not familiar with the DP1 solution, any chance of a link to the place, save dredging through every page for those who are not familiar?

Shows how good the solution was if most aren’t aware of it :) 

Essentially the wheels themselves are slightly smaller in diameter than the real thing. This is a necessary compromise inspired by the NRM prototype Deltic model and Hornby Class 50 and allows us to meet the demands of the 2nd radius curvature negotiation of the British OO market.

We would of course would rather fully scale sized wheel sets, but interference testing due to the prototypical taper of the Deltic body on our model, coupled with the thumblehome shape showed the minimum radius would be 5th. This unfortunately would make the model unviable for sale and mass production. The alternative would be to copy another previous model of the production Deltic and include scale sized wheelsets but clear of the body. However, this would result in odd proportions on the model (as per the other model on the market) incorrect bogie placement, oversized gap between bogies and body, increased ride height and spoil the look of the model.

Model railways sometimes need a compromise and this was one forced upon us. We feel that this is by far the best compromise, as proven by the well received NRM prototype Deltic model and Hornby Class 50.

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 4
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

3 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi Fran,

You've mentioned previously that you intend to offer EM and P4 wheelsets as optional conversion packs. Will these also be of a reduced diameter? I can't speak for EM, but in P4 there will be no need to negotiate R2 curves.

Cheers,

Liam

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Not sure if anyone else mentioned it, but it needs a few ohle flashes by the sides of the uppercab doors.

I assume builders plates/ shed codes are in the bits bag ?

i noticed the rosco plate on the bogie... nice touch.

one last request, could any “bits” be in a mini ziplock or other resealable bag.. I like to add bits occasionally, but breaking the seal of the parts bag loses its value, not to mention the bits.

Hi @adb968008,

Regarding the overhead flashes, these were added around 2003. We won’t have them on this model, but can be added easy enough if desired.

We will have shed plate etc as etches which will be in the baggie.

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Pillar said:

Hi Fran,

You've mentioned previously that you intend to offer EM and P4 wheelsets as optional conversion packs. Will these also be of a reduced diameter? I can't speak for EM, but in P4 there will be no need to negotiate R2 curves.

Cheers,

Liam

Hi Liam,

We will be testing to see if we can use full sized and assess what knock on affects it has if any. We will inform before we launch them for sale of our findings. This will apply for both EM and P4.

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Pillar said:

Hi Fran,

Cheers,

Liam

Wouldn’t that make the Loco ride too high if they were scale diameter?

1 hour ago, boxbrownie said:

Wouldn’t that make the Loco ride too high if they were scale diameter?

I've been wondering this.

Fully understandable that Accurascale have gone for this compromise, as as said it works well for the Prototype Deltic and Hornby Class 50.

However if someone did want to put in full diameter wheels in, I would guess the ride height would increase, unless slightly thinner axle bearings could be used to increase the recess of the axles in the bogie. But then how would that impact on gears meshing - the final drive gear would similarly need to be a smaller diameter....

This starts becoming quite difficult to unpick...

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, G-BOAF said:

I've been wondering this.

Fully understandable that Accurascale have gone for this compromise, as as said it works well for the Prototype Deltic and Hornby Class 50.

However if someone did want to put in full diameter wheels in, I would guess the ride height would increase, unless slightly thinner axle bearings could be used to increase the recess of the axles in the bogie. But then how would that impact on gears meshing - the final drive gear would similarly need to be a smaller diameter....

This starts becoming quite difficult to unpick...

Probably easier if AS incorporated a removable insert at the bogie bearing to drop the body height to compensate for the higher riding bogie........of course you have done that, eh Fran? ;)

I don't really see an issue, Accurascale have chosen the best way forward as it is certainly better than having a large gap between bogie and body, and lets face it, you can't see most of the wheels behind the bogie sides anyway, its not as if its a steam locomotive where a couple of millimeters would be obvious.

Well done to Accurascale for making a great model that raises the bar considerably. I'm looking forward to receiving my 'Pinza' that I ordered last year, if it is as good as the wagons I have already purchased to date then I will be very pleased.

Edited by steve45
Mispelling
  • Agree 4

Re headcodes, and I know they will be swapable, BUT

Would it be possible to factory fit D9002 as preserved with 1A16 and 1A35 (flying scotsman north and southbound) headcodes? The loco was relaunched into two-tone green as part of the FS relaunch, and I believe ran a few times on the mainline with those headcodes, including from Shildon to York after repaintaing, and on some railtour ECS moves.

1A16 was at the 'hatch' end (I believe No 1 end?).

Obviously they did change from time to time (and numerous pictures on mainline of other codes, including  'K9' (haha), but the FS codes would appear to match the freshly outshoped pictures of the loco in the modelled condition.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1