Accurascale Class 55 Deltic - 4mm scale

8 minutes ago, The Ghost of IKB said:

Cant wait to give up my wages for a few of these (3 currently in mind)

Re the lenses in the plated over headcodes, in reality these were white rather than clear, often on models (bachy 47 comes to mind) these are left as clear plastic, meaning they look very (unprotypically) dark unless lit, as it seems does 55018 .

Will they be white on the production ones?

In reality the lenses were dirty(Gateshead=very) white. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Right, let's get to some rail blue goodness!

I'm sure these will spur on a load of pre orders from people! I am doing my best to resist as there are more important things for my layout at the moment but they look awesome!

From what little I know about this there are 3 ways (or a combination thereof) to implement smaller wheels:

1. Axle boxes not concentric with the wheels
  2. Axle boxes not in correct position on the bogie
  3. Everything in the right place, so ride height is lower

Looking at the pics you have gone with option 1 which I think is by far the lesser of the 3 "evils", am I right?

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, TomScrut said:

I'm sure these will spur on a load of pre orders from people! I am doing my best to resist as there are more important things for my layout at the moment but they look awesome!

From what little I know about this there are 3 ways (or a combination thereof) to implement smaller wheels:

1. Axle boxes not concentric with the wheels
  2. Axle boxes not in correct position on the bogie
  3. Everything in the right place, so ride height is lower

Looking at the pics you have gone with option 1 which I think is by far the lesser of the 3 "evils", am I right?

Incorrect. But we dont need to give away all our secrets. :) 

• Like 4
  • Funny 2

Accurascale 9016 Porterbrook-4.jpg

What was the box fitted on the outside inner left-hand axlebox (in place of the speedo drive on the non-spedo fitted bogie)?

I'm guessing it is some sort of revolution/milage counter, but why couldn't this have been combined with the speedo (given that this works off a voltage mechanism directly proportional to speed of axle rotation, and therefore rate of revolution).

Also, if it was a mileage counter, how did it account for silppage or other differences in miles between individual axles or bogies (or is this just too precise)?

Does anyone have a closeup of the device?

Sorry lots of questions. I actually hadn't noticed them before seeing the close-up pictures of the Purple monster! Such is this model, I'm noticing things I have not noticed on the real thing - that is the sign of a good model!

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

Accurascale 9016 Porterbrook-4.jpg

What was the box fitted on the outside inner left-hand axlebox (in place of the speedo drive on the non-spedo fitted bogie)?

I'm guessing it is some sort of revolution/milage counter, but why couldn't this have been combined with the speedo (given that this works off a voltage mechanism directly proportional to speed of axle rotation, and therefore rate of revolution).

Also, if it was a mileage counter, how did it account for silppage or other differences in miles between individual axles or bogies (or is this just too precise)?

Does anyone have a closeup of the device?

Sorry lots of questions. I actually hadn't noticed them before seeing the close-up pictures of the Purple monster! Such is this model, I'm noticing things I have not noticed on the real thing - that is the sign of a good model!

Correct, it's a mileage counter! I cant help with the technical info after that though I'm afraid!

Cheers,

Fran

• Thanks 1

Gordon 'as preserved' would be nice for a future batch.

Producing 22 in it's final service state is right for the first batch as we have no clue how LSL are going to outshop her - equally with Tulyar the DPS have stated that she is not returning to service in Two-Tone Green so unless the Rails / DPS exclusive model of her is anything to by I think for the time being we are better off with only 2 and 9 being done 'as preserved' so far. In the same vein 19 is due to return to the mainline in Two-Tone Green if the chatter is to be believed.

As soon as it's known how 15, 19 and 22 are to be when they return it would be great to have those preserved models added to the Accurascale stable 

Cheers,

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Accurascale Fran said:

But they are. :) 

1 hour ago, TomScrut said:

Am I going to have to buy one to work it out :lol:

Must be the perspective on the shot.

I suspect the bogie frame is a little lower than it should be. Looking at pictures of the prototype, the end of the bogie frame is level with the top edge of the fuel tanks.

55022 ROYAL SCOTS GREY stands on display at St. Pancras during InterCity Diesel Day on 21 May 1989.

The model is slightly lower, with the bogie end frame level with the bottom of radius of the tank top, rather than the top of the tank) and the gap between bogie frame and body therefore slightly larger than the prototype.

Accurascale 9016 Porterbrook-5.jpg

My guess is this compromise will have other benefits in terms of navigating uneven track (which occurs even on the finest layouts, especially as boards age), changes in gradients (how many layouts have prototypical climbs of say 1:100 rather than 1:25 or steeper...?) in that it will ensure sufficient 'rocking' of the bogie (and associated brake pipe detail) is possible without fouling the body (both impeding running and potentially damaging the paint finish/breaking pipework detail).

Blackening the copper pickups (already in hand according to Fran I believe) will reduce the visability of the bogie-body gap.

The wealth of other detail around the bogie and tanks also draws the eye away from the slight discrepency.

We always knew there would be compromises in this area, and I for one, oft so critical of models (especially when issues once see, can't be unseen), I am satisfied Accurascale have done the best job and made the best judgements they can.

Sorry Fran if I've guessed the secret....

And sorry If I'm barking up the wrong tree completely....

Edited by G-BOAF
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 07/02/2021 at 12:55, Accurascale Fran said:

Essentially the wheels themselves are slightly smaller in diameter than the real thing. This is a necessary compromise inspired by the NRM prototype Deltic model and Hornby Class 50 and allows us to meet the demands of the 2nd radius curvature negotiation of the British OO market.

Hi Fran, and thanks for the explanation.

Sounds like you've explored a lot of options and have come to the perfect solution, all things considered.

Out of curiosity, have you kept the bogie at the same relative height off the rails / to the loco body as the prototype and lowered the axel centreline down to take account of the slightly smaller diameter wheel?

1 hour ago, Bucoops said:

Having seen the photos I deeply regret paying for Meld up front.

download.jpg.cc533ef03c52b4a1a8ce370aee9f4861.jpg

I second the fact that it looks like it could be O gauge.

The other element that is to praised is the price.

Similar recent modern image locos e.g. Hornby Class 87 (£170 rrp), Hornby Class 91 (£180 rrp), Bachmann Class 90 (£180rrp) are more expensive than the Deltic will be (albeit not by a huge amount).

The Deltic appears to be a step ahead of already fine models of recent years (when considering things like cab desk and engine room lighting, and all the other very fine detail)

The Dapol 68 is fractionally cheaper (by £5 rrp) and while externally a top class model, does not have the internal detail and features that the Deltic has

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, 60800 said:

Gordon 'as preserved' would be nice for a future batch.

Producing 22 in it's final service state is right for the first batch as we have no clue how LSL are going to outshop her - equally with Tulyar the DPS have stated that she is not returning to service in Two-Tone Green so unless the Rails / DPS exclusive model of her is anything to by I think for the time being we are better off with only 2 and 9 being done 'as preserved' so far. In the same vein 19 is due to return to the mainline in Two-Tone Green if the chatter is to be believed.

As soon as it's known how 15, 19 and 22 are to be when they return it would be great to have those preserved models added to the Accurascale stable 

Cheers,

so gordon with no engines hahaha

and just for record i havn't "heard" anything regarding paint on the dps ones.

... and I want two-tone green (to go with a two-tone horn!) no yellow ends!

For a while I commuted from Huntingdon to Kings Cross a few decades ago 

My morning train was booked for a 31 plus 8 Mark 1s, but sometimes we got an ailing deltic. 

It would still arrive early with only one engine running!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1