Accurascale Class 55 Deltic - 4mm scale

I have just seen the photographs of the green Deltics, which look very nice.  The green ones I saw had white radiator fans. I can't say this is true for all of them, but the ones I saw during a Doncaster works open day were. It doesn't matter I can repaint them, then add some grime.

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Yardman said:

I have just seen the photographs of the green Deltics, which look very nice.  The green ones I saw had white radiator fans. I can't say this is true for all of them, but the ones I saw during a Doncaster works open day were. It doesn't matter I can repaint them, then add some grime.

Hi @Yardman,

Many thanks. Our research pics and data point to silver grilles we have depicted on our green models. 

Loving the cab pic of the FP45, not jealous at all!

Cheers,

Fran

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, G-BOAF said:

Interesting - looking at 'modern' pictures preserved green locos (i.e. discounting historic distortions in colour) the yellow on these seems a bit lighter on pictures than on the models.

I'm now wondering if the preserved locos will have had the current yellow or historically correct yellow.... and therefore implications for the models of D9002 and D9009

Either way, can Accurascale comment on the shade of nose yellow of the models....

@Accurascale Fran@McC??

The colour to be used for warning panel yellow is specified (by the RSSB now). I don't know if grandfather rights come into it, but it could be that any mainline registered Deltic would have to comply, but a preserved one that was not mainline registered could use the old yellow.

Looking at photos of mainline Deltics in recent years, none seem to be this shade which is the original yellow: wiki photo

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge
  • Like 3

Modelling between two separate era’s on my layout  - BR Blue for which I ordered “MELD” a year or so ago; and Diesel Hydraulics in 60’s in the West Country, for which I have ordered  a Green “Nimbus” this afternoon !!!!....... managed to convince myself that there must have been Summer Saturday holiday specials in the 60’s where a Deltic could be rostered to take Geordies to Torquay - LOL........ just had to as these Green versions look amazing, and 45 years after coming face to face with my first Deltic at Edinburgh Waverley, the sight and sounds of these giant machines is still vivid in my memory.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, 08221 said:

Browsing through my Deltic photos, found this of Tulyar at the Cross in 1981, I used to call in at lunchtimes to see what was about.

Model of 55015 duly ordered, they look amazing!

1612870688406-4538fed3-1ea1-451c-90e7-94200fcd1d7e.jpg.df9add9466daf3056fb95782a45cec67.jpg

Hopefully with the guy hanging off the door eh,the past was a great time to live was it not....he might be in the detail bag.

• Funny 2

The samples look terrific, well done to all involved. Think I've just about settled on NIMBUS now...

One thing: has the scale top speed changed? From fervent refreshing of the Accurascale website this week I'm sure the description used to read the models would be geared for a scale v-max of 100mph, but that's now been upped to 120mph. 

The versions advertised by Rails still refer to a 100mph top speed.

Cheers.

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, OliverBytham said:

The samples look terrific, well done to all involved. Think I've just about settled on NIMBUS now...

One thing: has the scale top speed changed? From fervent refreshing of the Accurascale website this week I'm sure the description used to read the models would be geared for a scale v-max of 100mph, but that's now been upped to 120mph. 

The versions advertised by Rails still refer to a 100mph top speed.

Cheers.

Hi @OliverBytham,

Deltics we’re famed for many spirited runs above the 100 mph mark, up to 120 mph on occasion so the locos have been geared accordingly.

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I've been digging through my books to try and work out which model deltic would be perfect for my layout. With so many different models being produced, it would be helpful if there was a list saying which years each model is correct for.  

• Agree 1

For those interested in changing the wheels take a look at page 44 of this 'blog' thingy where there are a couple of photographs of my Bachmann DP1 (2016)  with full size P4 wheels taken at eye level. The wheels can be clearly seen looking 'up' into the body skirt to the depth of the tyre plus a bit more but I suspect the model body sits a 'tadge' higher than on the prototype. But the late Roy Jackson told me there were some clearance issues on some lines radiating from the ECML with DP1. I have no drawings of the prototype or the production models but if necessary I will mill a bit out of the chassis block if required but as it stands now it is not required to negotiate anything any tighter than a 5' radius and I believe 4' could be pushing it. Please don't take that as read because I don't have any 4' radius curves. Incidentally, this NRM model is, so far, the best Bachmann diesel model locomotive I have converted with fully sprung or equalised bogies so far. So, I am also looking forward to having a 'play' with the 'Accurascale' EE models we have all been patiently waiting for!    

2 minutes ago, harry lamb said:

For those interested in changing the wheels take a look at page 44 of this 'blog' thingy where there are a couple of photographs of my Bachmann DP1 (2016)  with full size P4 wheels taken at eye level. The wheels can be clearly seen looking 'up' into the body skirt to the depth of the tyre plus a bit more but I suspect the model body sits a 'tadge' higher than on the prototype. But the late Roy Jackson told me there were some clearance issues on some lines radiating from the ECML with DP1. I have no drawings of the prototype or the production models but if necessary I will mill a bit out of the chassis block if required but as it stands now it is not required to negotiate anything any tighter than a 5' radius and I believe 4' could be pushing it. Please don't take that as read because I don't have any 4' radius curves. Incidentally, this NRM model is, so far, the best Bachmann diesel model locomotive I have converted with fully sprung or equalised bogies so far. So, I am also looking forward to having a 'play' with the 'Accurascale' EE models we have all been patiently waiting for!    

some i belive where down to footsteps, again if i remember right it hit a platform at one time or two

10 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi @OliverBytham,

Deltics we’re famed for many spirited runs above the 100 mph mark, up to 120 mph on occasion so the locos have been geared accordingly.

Cheers!

Fran

Were they not limited to 100 m.p.h. but towards the end of their time on the ECML, the engineers at EE very sportingly removed the limiters so that they and the drivers could see what they could do?

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi @OliverBytham,

Cheers!

Fran

If a loco on my layout gets anything above a scale 40mph it is in grave danger of launching itself off the 36 inch curve at the top of the stairs and ending up in pieces 12ft below on the landing! :)

20 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi @Yardman,

Many thanks. Our research pics and data point to silver grilles we have depicted on our green models. 

Loving the cab pic of the FP45, not jealous at all!

Cheers,

Fran

It's the fANS I'm talking about not the grills. Lovely loco the FP45, my son wanted to bring it home, but I said our garden wasn't big enough.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, ColinK said:

I've been digging through my books to try and work out which model deltic would be perfect for my layout. With so many different models being produced, it would be helpful if there was a list saying which years each model is correct for.  

This is what I worked out on time spans for each when I was ordering. Accurascale may wish to confirm or deny :)

image.png.4123041105c8504c930e1565428af74a.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, G-BOAF said:

I'm now wondering if the preserved locos will have had the current yellow or historically correct yellow.... and therefore implications for the models of D9002 and D9009

There are two yellows in use currently, the nose ends etc are "Warning Panel Yellow" whereas the Network Rail vehicles are "Sunshine Yellow" - a slightly less orange hue. When Harsco brought the Switch & Crossing Grinders over from the USA the ends had to be painted this slightly different yellow to the sides and roof. You can't tell in most lights as the different panel angles and shade etc just make them look all one colour. 

I would expect that the mainline certified Deltics will have their nose ends painted Warning Panel Yellow, but a check with the owners would be wise.

This yellow has changed over the years too, complicating matters ....

https://www.phoenix-paints.co.uk/products/precisionrailway/nationalised/14p134

https://www.phoenix-paints.co.uk/products/14p148

Edited by RedgateModels

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Hopefully with the guy hanging off the door eh,the past was a great time to live was it not....he might be in the detail bag.

I couldn’t quite make out who it is, could have been my Uncle....he always wore his old kettle BR hat when driving diesels :D

• Friendly/supportive 1