Accurascale Class 55 Deltic - 4mm scale

8 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi guys,

Due to them being turned metal there are no rivets on the rear of the buffer heads. It's something that's not possible on metal buffer heads I'm afraid.

Cheers,

Fran

8 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi guys,

Due to them being turned metal there are no rivets on the rear of the buffer heads. It's something that's not possible on metal buffer heads I'm afraid.

Cheers,

Fran

Nothing looks like metal the way metal does. I’m happy but I’ll leave it to Accurascale to work out how to produce turned metal buffers which are oval.

• Funny 3

8 hours ago, Csalem said:

I think at some point too have to acknowledge can't have everything replicated 100% on a model this size. Though would be nice to have a little working diesel engine inside it :)

Bob Symes managed an engine inside a diesel many, many years ago but that was gauge 1.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

8 hours ago, No Decorum said:

Nothing looks like metal the way metal does. I’m happy but I’ll leave it to Accurascale to work out how to produce turned metal buffers which are oval.

This could be done as an aftermarket detail for those that want it. It shouldn’t be difficult to achieve by making a disc with the rivets on to slide over the rear of the buffer shank and bond to the rear face. Then just a case of dressing it in.

Mark

22 hours ago, G-BOAF said:

There are no close-up pictures of the Accurascale buffers.

Will they have the classic rivets on the back face?

Are we not delving into the realms of too much detail now and what should reasonably be modelled?  These rivets are not going to be noticed unless viewed at certain angles.  Even then, unless watching your trains at 8in, scale distance 50ft the closest the eye can focus (source Moorfields) it will not be visible, my nearest viewing now is 17in a scale 122ft.

I wonder if Accurascale get a bit fed up with such minor issues.

Edited by Guest
spelling

3 hours ago, confused said:

Are we not delving into the realms of too much detail now and what should reasonably be modelled?  These rivets are not going to be noticed unless viewed at certain angles.  Even then, unless watching your trains at 8in, scale distance 50ft the closest the eye can focus (source Moorfields) it will not be visible, my nearest viewing now is 17in a scale 122ft.

I wonder if Accurascale get a bit fed up with such minor issues.

Until my local club reopens I have things running on my shunting plank, which is about 9ft long and 8in wide so most things are about 3inches from the edge. It helps I'm seriously short sighted with a resting focal distance of 5in! Makes things look really big :) And go for spotting detailss / painting that I've missed.

Luke

Sorry if that questions was annoying the great team who are putting this together.

The overall shape of the buffers looks great, and the change in thickness from the middle to the edge, due in part to the riveted flange, is impressive.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, luke_stevens said:

.....I'm seriously short sighted with a resting focal distance of 5in! Makes things look really big :) And go for spotting detailss / painting that I've missed.

I did just mean 'normal' sighted and I only meant is it worth including detail you cannot see without magnification.  Perhaps it's just me and the others at my local club in Hoddesdon who take this point of view.  Yes they are doing a great job on this project.

• RMweb Gold

I’m hoping that Accurascale will do a second run in the future and do both 55019 and 55022 in their present form with high intensity headlights.  I can dream :P

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

44 minutes ago, jools1959 said:

I’m hoping that Accurascale will do a second run in the future and do both 55019 and 55022 in their present form with high intensity headlights.  I can dream :P

I wish I wouldn't look at this site I am now going to get Tulyar along with the already ordered Alycidon and Yorkshire own, please hold off on these 2 until the second run for the sake of my relationship with my wallet :drag: 

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

59 minutes ago, lwnameplates said:

cast 

The only oval buffers I have seen cast are the retractable types used on coaches which probably experience less wear than those on locos because they aren’t doing anything unless they are at the end of a rake.

It is probably much cheaper to replace the head than to have to cast a whole new buffer and shank assembly.

Mark

• RMweb Premium

I congratulate Accurascale on leaving off the buffer rivets, thereby providing a small and ultimately unimportant element of tension which maintains the discussion about their product when it would otherwise have gone quiet, but does not really give anyone a reason not to buy*.  I look forward to the announcement of bespoke rivet transfers.

*except the kind of nutter who is more trouble than their custom is worth anyway.

• Like 1
  • Funny 6

I’ve just ordered D9008 from Rails.Theres just something about that factory-fresh look that does it for me,going back to a photo of D9000 outside Vulcan foundry in the second edition of Rail magazine from December 1981,or thereabouts.And I have spent many happy hours around 1979/1980 at New Barnet and Hadley Wood watching these mighty beasts rumble through.I spotted the whole set capturing St Paddy just two days before it’s withdrawal.Love these beasts more than I can say.My Uncle Dick spent his entire working life as a fitter at Finsbury Park.Others will be purchased.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, MikeParkin65 said:

@Accurascale Fran This may have been answered before but will the non sound versions have the speakers fitted? I’m thinking of the possibility of reusing a Legoman V4 soundchip from a soon to be ‘withdrawn’ Bachmann 

Hi @MikeParkin65,

Non sound versions will not have speakers fitted.

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Was looking to splash out on one to remember 55017 which was my last BR Deltic haulage north from Peterborough on the way home from University, packed train, deep snow outside, sitting on the floor of the BG behind the loco with a gap between the double doors letting the cold (and Napier wail) in.

Unfortunately the lack of rivets on the back of the buffers is a game changer, might have to consider sticking with Lima...   :jester: 

Martin

• Funny 8